SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
Not sure if your "exit-watch" means you're done with this brand or collecting in general, but you've certainly demonstrated a keen level of knowledge, taste, and willingness to share it with us novices. Now if I can only find a 226570 Explorer II (Polar), the world will be right with me. Wink

I basically mean the constant ins-and-outs with watches. I've never been a collector, in the sense that I diligently avoided amassing many watches. Which is harder than it would seem. As for knowlege, -- at this point, all I've really come to know for sure is what I like and what I don't like. Nowadays, almost every watch has something that bother me. Which means the problem is probably me I suppose. Most of what I like is vintage-ish, which suggests that I just don't like change, right!? Middle aged guy, go figure...

Anyway, it's been a fun distraction, but I've tired of it. I'm settling in on probably three or four keepers.

As for the Polar, I think you may be pleasantly surprised to find supplied opening up. The pandemic obviously put a squeeze on Rolex cash flow. While they have a healthy balance sheet for sure, no business likes to diminish the balance sheet for operations. I've gotten a few calls this spring already -- including this Explorer.

So call your AD, and call them again, and stop in, and call again, and stop in again. Good luck!

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My Willard homage decided to release its 6 o’clock lume square yesterday which is now hanging out around the 8 o’clock position. I was just getting ready to write a glowing post on how excellent this Sharky is for the money compared to the 55th anniversary SPB183 aka “blue Willard”.

Fix or mod? Hmmmmmm.

If I can swap in a complete movement from my stealth day date seiko 5 sport into the Sharky Willard homage that might be the way I go. I want to do something different with it. Maybe I’ll find a silver dial from one of the new 140th anniversary Seiko divers and look into ways to improve the bezel insert and bezel action if possible.

More red meat tossed to the Seiko mod community. This dial is gorgeous!!!

This one looks like it’s appropriated a bit of the color way/style from my beloved Hamilton Khaki King Scuba....it’s a damn good looking watch! Blue hands too!! Bravo Seiko!

My favorite Seiko, the blue & red PADI Turtle has some SERIOUS competition. My first impression of the new Willard aka Apocalypse Now (SPB183) is whoa! It’s lovely! The bezel action is smooth and has zero back play. It’s exceeded my expectations thus far. I wasn’t planning on buying one of these though I’ve wanted one badly since they were announced. I went in to my local Seiko AD to inquire about a pre owned Willard that was unfortunately at another store. The sales rep offered me a surprising deal that basically matched the gray market if not beat it by a slim margin. Getting to hold the actual watch to verify that it has zero misalignments and a VERY smooth bezel action along with a fantastic sales rep is what ultimately sold me. The internet just cannot match that experience.

The case, bezel and insert on the Willard are all slightly smaller than the Turtle. Believe it or not I got this Turtle for $225 on the fleabay on a blue nato strap. It’s turned out to be one of my greatest watch purchases. I figured a fake wouldn’t accumulate nearly as much of a patina as mine did before I purchased it and my hunch proved correct. My beaten to hell PADI Turtle beats swiss autos coasting 3X as much in the time keeping dept. (it looks great from a distance)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Don't have one of the new ones to post, just this old thing.

Big fan of the various crystals they had. Too tall, tall and then more flat. Mine is right in the middle, catches the light and also makes the chapter ring look nice.

IMO, the latest version that you illustrated is most in line with the original. The high end 8L35 version for @ $5K wasn't truly in the spirit of an affordable watch with a real good movement that's made to take a beating and hold together. It's more of a "what if" proposition where the Mfgr. takes the watch into the direction of improvement and really making it equal in all aspects to .. more famous watches.

The latest version is a fantastic movement and case and is made affordable to the common man that wants a slice of the good stuff. These are IMO what the original was always meant to be.

Now close to 50 years down the road, my old girl is still keeping within -4 +6, well within. +2.

Good, not great movement, a case made to take it - just like the newest version.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You’re 100% right! The original reissue was nice and I appreciate what Seiko did there but this latest reissue trio (blue, green & black) is truly more inline with the spirit of the original Willard aka the 1976 Seiko ref. 6105-8110.

I do love how the crystal on this watch takes the minute ring of the dial and manages to sort of distort it so that it mirrors itself in a sort of double stack fashion giving you a minute track that’s twice as wide and intriguing to look at.

This is an anniversary watch both for Seiko and me so the gold second hand is a neat touch.

The “Seiko” logo, Prospex “X” and “automatic” are all painted in a reflective silver paint.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Any Casio G-Shock experts here? I think I'd like a classic G-Shock to knock about in at work.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I was just having the same thought this afternoon. Looked at a couple of the newer types today and they are just huge and probably more features than I care to mess with. The Casioak is pretty tempting, though.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Yeah, definitly aiming for closer to old school. Preferably get some solar power action and calibration from GPS or radio signals. If I give up on the radio/gps part, $140 seems to get it done.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...SRHFq&ref_=pd_gw_unk

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Okay, Seiko-heads, this Prospex Alpinist has me lusting and I've got a question.
What's the difference between SBDC087 and SPB117J1?

Both are listed having the 6R35 movement.
I don't see any visual differences.

I think I don't know enough yet (as usual). Confused

I'm liking the SPB119J1, too, with that dressy white dial.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, this link says this:
quote:
An exclusive timepiece by the Seiko SBDC087 or as known outside of Japan as SPB117 will bring out the bold man in you. The black Alpinist 2020 features a compass function with a silver bracelet strap. The push-button clasp makes it a safe and secure accessory for men. This Prospex Mechanical Automatic Movement 6R35 is a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) watch model and it's now in our stock - ready to ship within 48 hours to any country. So buy now before it’s too late!

Maybe just a product code difference for ones produced to be sold on the Japanese market vs internationally?

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
VThoky, it’s prob the same watch and just the JDM reference #. My SPB183 also goes by the JDM reference number SBDC123 depending on the market.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
In that case, SBDC089 is mighty tempting.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I had a SNJ025. Pretty nice watch. I didn't like the tone of the white dial (I wanted white, but it was really pearl), so I sold it. But all the other elements were pretty nice. Kind of thick as I recall.

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
In that case, SBDC089 is mighty tempting.

Appears the 089 is the JDM version and a bit less $$. That doesn't happen too often.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I understand the appeal of Grand Seiko, but the mass produced garbage that's Seiko? Not so much. Confused

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Seiko isn’t garbage. To think that only shows ones monumental ignorance. I have a few Seiko autos that keep better time than my Omega. They are tool watches that can take a beating and then some and often outlast their more expensive competitors. Brand snobbery with watches is one of the worst aspects of the hobby.

Want to know the appeal of Seiko? Ask Snapping Twig what he paid for his Willard, how long he has had it and what it’s worth now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Seiko is fantastic.
Their movements are on par with the Swiss with accuracy and serviceability.

They make a QUALITY tool that is affordable to the everyday user.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Any Casio G-Shock experts here? I think I'd like a classic G-Shock to knock about in at work.

I don't know about being an expert. But this square G shock is the classic. It has an all metal case, screw in back and a much more supple urethane strap. The strap is much more comfortable. The squares are a reasonable size, too.

This is built like the original G shock, as compared to the screw on caseback with a plastic case they now use. G shock afficianados love these. They are solar powered and atomic clock synced.

https://www.seiyajapan.com/col...oducts/g-gw-5000-1jf

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
mass produced garbage that's Seiko?

Say, what?? Confused

No Seiko I've ever had has been garbage. Have you had a bad experience with one?

God bless America.

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
As a FWIW, I have a bunch of Seiko's.

Among them is this one, not a Seiko 5, just a Seiko military. It was $100 and has a 7S26 movement which does not hack and can not be hand wound, a real bottom of the barrel product.

I'll admit, Seiko overdoes their design so often I could spit. A real good idea, then overboard and ugly.

This particular watch was an inexpensive tool watch for military use of for a civilian that wanted something military or for daily hard use.

I have a friend that is a watch mechanic, retired from Seiko. I had him regulate this watch and it is +2/day and has been for years.

The bare bones 7S26 movement is light years ahead of anything else in its class. Based on years of mrchanical and materials improvements, this watch will run and run and run without service - quite unlike most every other mechanical watch from all other brands.

Seiko is known for that. Kind of like the AK47 runs and runs well without service.

This is the "family" watch for when my wife's Rolex is in for service. She's a nurse and has to have a watch.

You can look through the back of this watch, it has a clear case back, and you can watch the Magic Fingers wind the barrel. Rude and brutal solution for bidirectional winding that's actually elegant in its simplicity.

Seiko has it figured out.

I had an inexpensive mod done to it, I changed out the day/date wheels to ones with black background, really made a difference. Also found a Seiko super oyster bracelet (screw links) for it.

I have @ $250 tied up in this watch all tolled and I'd match it up against watches in the $500+ area any day.

It's the cheapest of Seiko's. Excellent lume, chronometer accuracy, dependability.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
The latest iteration of the Submariner, now properly fitted to a 21mm Crown & Buckle Supreme NATO. Diving into the depths of a 12oz summer beverage.