SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
rOgue had one that was about that accurate. I remember being shocked at the performance of his Rolex.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My wife is awesome! A few weeks ago I expressed interest in having a skeletonized watch with a wood case and band. I had just had a lengthy conversation with a farmer at our local farmers market about his zebra wood watch and how cool it looked.

She was paying attention to my fascination with that watch because she recently surprised me with this beautiful zebra wood watch. I just love being able to see the mainspring inside the barrel. Watching it put tension on the mainspring as I manually wind it is pretty darn neat. Skeletonized movements are so cool!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice. I also like skeletons. One day the skeletonized Vacheron Contantine perpetual calendar will be mine!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Nice! Skeleton watches intrigue me. So much to look at and marvel at the mechanics of it.

A fellow Lemon LaCroix fan as well, I see. Wink

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
rOgue had one that was about that accurate. I remember being shocked at the performance of his Rolex.

My first Explorer II (16570) was on my wrist daily for 11 years when I sent it for service because I could audibly detect that something was amiss. As it turns out, the rotor had dislodged and was rubbing as it wound. At that moment, BEFORE I sent it to be serviced, it was running +/-0 in a simple day long test.

I've had many that run a few seconds off over multiple days of use. My new 36mm Explorer I is in that range. 4 or 5 days, and it was off 3 or so seconds. Maybe it'll change as it breaks in some.

If I wore one watch for ever like I used to, this would be important. As it is, I set it, wear it a day or so, and set it aside for days. And in a few months, quite often, I sell it. So all of this nonsense is unimportant to me. hehe

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I had my Yacht-Master serviced after 10 years on the wrist by Rolex SF and much to my surprise, it was so accurate I'd set it at DST and it was within a couple minutes fast at return to Standard Time.

Awesome regulation, random luck... who knows, but I was thrilled.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
JHE888, any issues with the finish on your golden turtle? I’m lean ing towards getting one. It’s just too sweet looking to ignore and as y’all already know I like turtles. Smile

Anyone even remotely considering one of Seiko’s new SPBXXX Willard/Apocalypse Now reissues DO IT. The case is so comfortable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opinions everyone.

I am still amazed as to how accurate it has become.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
JHE888, any issues with the finish on your golden turtle? I’m lean ing towards getting one. It’s just too sweet looking to ignore and as y’all already know I like turtles. Smile

It has changed color slightly over the three or so years I have had it. It started very bright gold - almost too bright. It was visibly not the color of actual gold. Now it is slightly . . . browner or less bright, for lack of a better way to describe it. It doesn't look tarnished in the way silver or brass gets tarnished, but it is slightly different than the way it looked originally. Whatever that stuff is, it is pretty hard. It doesn't scratch easily.

I like mine. I also wasn't a lover of gold, but it is fun. As I said, I found mine on sale somewhere, so it was maybe 30% less than other turtles.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s reassuring. I’ve also noticed their price compared to the other turtles is a bit lower which is always nice. I’m not typically a gold watch kind of guy but there is something about the golden turtle I really like. It’s a super cool case shape and that finish really highlights it nicely.

Send positive vibes my way my fellow watch dudes and dudettes. My last attempt to “mod” a watch was a spectacular failure and the end result was a destroyed ETA 2824-2 as well as a clone. That’s ok though because I learned something from that experience and also realized that my current tools are not going to cut it. I’m working on that. I did get a timegrapher recently so progress is being made.

I’ve slowly built up confidence to where I am getting ready to attempt what should (hopefully) be a very easy mod. I’m going to attempt to swap a complete movement from one of my stealth (blacked out) Seiko 5 sports into my Sharky Seiko Willard homage. I think it should fit and swap in. Famous last words before a monument cluster eh? Nah it’ll be fine. I love the idea of a day/date Willard with a stealthy looking dial. If that works I can move on to the bezel insert. I’ve read that an OEM SKX insert fits beautifully on the Sharky.

More to come later. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Stickman, check Red Dead Restorations on YouTube. Prepare to be amazed.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I had a fun last night! The project didn’t go as planned but I would say it was a partial success.

I took the movement out of my Willard homage.

Then I removed my Seiko 5 movement.
I put my Seiko 5 movement into my Willard case (briefly) and discovered I’m a damn idiot for not noticing the crown is at a very slightly different angle/location. But at least I got to see what it would have looked like as a mod. Meh. That dial in a Willard isn’t so great anyway.

I fixed the lume that fell off the Willard homage and then SUCCESSFULLY managed to reassemble BOTH watches completely!!!!! Smile

The 5 movement is going to go into a PVD/DLC case turtle. At least then I won’t have to worry about crown location issues and it should look a bit better.

I really had fun last night working on these. Im so glad I didn’t break anything this time around!

I managed to fix this. (Look between 7 and 8 o’clock)

Back in business!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’d call that a success. Nice work!

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiber optic
posted Hide Post

Father-in-law gave me this as a combined Christmas/Graduation gift. I was planning to buy myself a Rolex Milgauss when I graduated but I'll probably just save the money. I've only had quartz watches prior to this.

Learn and love and to do
What it takes to step through

Posts: 1385 | Registered: November 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
fiber optic, Nice! I love the blue lume. I am INCREDIBLY tempted to get a Seiko with that dial since I believe it will drop right into one of my favorite Seiko cases. Do you happen to know the reference # for that Seiko?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of fiber optic
posted Hide Post
quote:
fiber optic, Nice! I love the blue lume. I am INCREDIBLY tempted to get a Seiko with that dial since I believe it will drop right into one of my favorite Seiko cases. Do you happen to know the reference # for that Seiko?

Stickman this is the SRPD25.

https://seikousa.com/products/srpd25

I think there are other color combinations available.

Learn and love and to do
What it takes to step through

Posts: 1385 | Registered: November 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ok I am super stoked. I’ll quit being such a post whore in this thread but this has been a project I’ve been planning for a while. I thought this might work aesthetically and it did. I am quite happy with the results. The case is from a Ref. SBDY027 yeah, I modded one of the more interesting JDM Save the Ocean turtles with a kanji day wheel but I also have plans for that movement, dial and kanji wheel. Big Grin The complete movement & dial was sourced from one of the new Seiko 5 sports that was the controversial replacement for the mighty SKX series. I say controversial because it retains the same case shape and more or less the same dial along with a movement upgrade but it lost 100m of water resistance and a screw down crown.

Before

After

The blue, black and silver works better than I was expecting and I love the SKX style dial.

From some angles the indices blend into the dial.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiber optic:

Stickman this is the SRPD25.

I am LOVING that SPRD25.

(Looking around here to see what I can sell to fund one....)

Stickman: do you have a Monster like this already?

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Oh wow. That turned out, man! I like the whole combination. Navy rubber strap, blue chapter ring, sandwiched with the black bezel insert and dial. That's a winner, there. Is that case blued or something?

I gotta order a dial and hands for my Invicta and go ahead and just start tinkering. That's why I bought it, afterall.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Heads up, some of the collectable Timex Peanuts Marlin limited editions are 25% off!

https://www.timex.com/browse/c...ons/timex-x-peanuts/

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post