SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Mandalorian (Disney+) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
What the hell was the crab-Dalek-cyborg thing?

General Grievous?

My nephew said the same thing.

However, I think it was just some sort of critter surviving in the post-apocalyptic hell-scape of a destroyed city, surviving on scraps and whatever random passers-by come his way. . . I mean, I know this is Disney Wars we are talking about, but not everything has to be a cameo from a previous movie.

I certainly hope so. A minor annoyance with Diseny's SW work has been EVERYTHING needing to have some kind of Easter egg or, backstory. Part of the allure with SW from its very beginning was EVERYTHING had a backstory- species, planet of origin, weapons, history, alliances, etc....HOWEVER that existed in text-form, later graphic novels and Wookapedia. The movies and shows don't need to delve that deep, that's what those former mentioned resources are for. Those fans who are fascinated can seek that info out, not have it become exposition on the screen.

I'm perfectly fine with this character being what it is, some AI cybernetic thing that survives on captured living creatures in the waste and detritus of another civilization. Its multi-arm/legged appearance has General Grievous images but, this is a big-big universe, not everything needs to be tied to another.

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
**spoilers**

why did Bokatan give the dark sabre back? Din lost
it when the beast/ai/thing beat him, and she killed it with the dark sabre?

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
She didn’t beat Djin directly. She has to win it from him in combat. If he was smart he’d challenge her to a fight and just take a dive. He doesn’t want the leadership.

Besides, it’s pretty clear he’s probably going to end up riding a mythasaur in the season finale. becoming the new Mandalore the Great trumps the Darksabre.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
**spoilers**

why did Bokatan give the dark sabre back? Din lost
it when the beast/ai/thing beat him, and she killed it with the dark sabre?

"Finding it laying on the ground" is apparently different than "earning the Dark Saber in combat.". .

****YET MORE SPOILERS****

I liked how she could effectively wield the Dark Saber. It has been demonstrated that Mando fights the blade, as he hasn't mastered it at all. You can see this with his fights when he uses it. Last season (or I think it was in the Boba Fett series), he used it and stabbed himself. In this latest episode, you can see him struggling to use it. She, however, is a natural when she used it to fight, as she probably used it in the past.

I am sort of surprised she didn't challenge him for the Saber. She seemed annoyed that she had to save him (twice). When Baby Yoda came back to her alone, she sounded like 'she was going to deal with Mando once and for all.' Something to that effect. So, it doesn't seem she is bound to NOT fight him. All that stands between her and being able to truly lead Mandalore is that one guy she doesn't even like that much.

But, there is no reason to not have a non-lethal sparring match. Mando defeated the guy last season, winning the Saber, yet he did not kill him. They could do the same here. Heck, do it in the mines when she knows Mando is weak from loss of blood. That way, they both could say she beat him after he truly tried his best to win. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
She didn’t beat Djin directly. She has to win it from him in combat. If he was smart he’d challenge her to a fight and just take a dive. He doesn’t want the leadership.

Besides, it’s pretty clear he’s probably going to end up riding a mythasaur in the season finale. becoming the new Mandalore the Great trumps the Darksabre.

She would know if he took a dive. It wouldn't work.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Does it have to be direct Mandalor to Mandalor combat? Because the bug defeated him. And she defeated the bug.

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
As Hound Dog pointed out, she didn’t win it in combat from the bug. She just found it on the ground.

Posts: 10946 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
So the ritual at the beginning probably was meant to take place in the Living Waters if you grew up on the main planet?

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
One would think, except the writers made it a point for Din to say he had never been to Mandalore because they have to plug those plot holes and head off the natural question “Why can’t he be cleansed where he was initiated in the first place?”.

Posts: 10946 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
One would think, except the writers made it a point for Din to say he had never been to Mandalore because they have to plug those plot holes and head off the natural question “Why can’t he be cleansed where he was initiated in the first place?”.

A few theories...
1) The Watch truly believes Mandalore is 'poisoned' thus anybody violating their oath is damned forever and cast out, because they've accepted that the planet is a no-go zone.
2) The Watch have pushed the poisoned planet story, forcing any oath breaker looking for redemption to consider if going to the poisoned planet is worth it, testing their faith and desire to remain apart of their Tribe.
or,
3) Only the high ranking Tribe members of The Watch know what's in the waters of the mine, thus forcing members facing ostracism, to not only get past the poisoned planet obstacle, but having to find the location of the mine and then confronting the Mythosauer.

The Children of the Watch are a very stern and austere group, the whole poisoned planet theory is probably a combination of a test of faith and a cautionary to outsiders.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
I liked how she could effectively wield the Dark Saber.

I told my son, "Watch how good she is with this thing when she picks it up."

He was like, "Nuh uh."

I really enjoy wondering what they're going to do with her. Is she seeing Din's respect for the Mandalorian history as authentic? Is she finding reverence for what it means to be a Mandalorian?

Extra Credit: Is it possible that the show's title refers to the people, and not simply the solo fighter we've been following?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9159 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It could be evolving into something representing the race or creed in general rather than Din Djarin, himself. After all, he's not alone and most of the mystery surrounding him in the first season has long passed.

As for why she can wield the Dark Saber is because it's been a part of her family's history. Perhaps she didn't wield it much before Moff Gideon arranged for it to be stolen from them, but she might have been taught the art form that allowed someone to wield it correctly.

Part of me hoped the creature holding Djarin captive was General Grievous or related to him, somehow. As if his race resorts to utilitizing complex robotic exo-skeletons when replacing damaged natural body parts.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Part of me hoped the creature holding Djarin captive was General Grievous or related to him, somehow. As if his race resorts to utilitizing complex robotic exo-skeletons when replacing damaged natural body parts.

I’m glad that not everything has to be linked to something we already know. IIRC, Grievous was a Lizard guy that either intentionally had his body augmented or ended up needing so many repairs that it cost him most of his biological self, even though his “cough” remains. (Which was psychosomatic I think).

Anywho. These discussions are always fun. I felt like it was a great episode.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9159 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Didn't Sabine Wren has trouble with learning to use the Dark Saber in Rebels? It was the guilt of working with the Empire that weighed on her conscious that made the blade heavy for her.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
A few theories...
1) The Watch truly believes Mandalore is 'poisoned' thus anybody violating their oath is damned forever and cast out, because they've accepted that the planet is a no-go zone.
2) The Watch have pushed the poisoned planet story, forcing any oath breaker looking for redemption to consider if going to the poisoned planet is worth it, testing their faith and desire to remain apart of their Tribe.
or,
3) Only the high ranking Tribe members of The Watch know what's in the waters of the mine, thus forcing members facing ostracism, to not only get past the poisoned planet obstacle, but having to find the location of the mine and then confronting the Mythosauer.

The Children of the Watch are a very stern and austere group, the whole poisoned planet theory is probably a combination of a test of faith and a cautionary to outsiders.
True. Redemption can't be easy or everybody would just carry vials of the living waters to bathe in.

I'm just glad they didn't drag out the IG-11 memory circuit side quest for multiple episodes.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

A few theories...
or,

The Children of the Watch seem to literally be children of the Death Watch from Clone Wars (at least some members are), and Death Watch weren’t exactly good guys on that series. They were somewhat militaristic and engaged in a civil war with the government of Mandalore, which was somewhat pacifist. The Death Watch hated the Jedi, and sided with Darth Maul and various criminal gangs to take control of Mandalore. Fun fact, Bo-Katan was part of the Death Watch, and all in with it, until she splintered off after Maul killed the original leader of Death Watch and took control, and then killed her sister, Satine, who was in charge of the pacifist Mandalore. Bo doesn’t have any great love for Death Watch, but she’s not really a a good person.

Basically, they’re a cult hanging out in a cave, Bo-Katan was a former cult member, and Din Djarin wants to get back into the cult. It will be interesting how this plays out.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Latest episode was interesting. Started off with an excellent dogfight with Bo-Karan’s Gauntlet starfighter and Mano’s N-1 against TIE interceptors. Wasn’t sure where Dr. Pershing’s story was going, but it seems to herald the possible return of a previous villain. Oh, and Mando’s now back in the cult.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
The scientist story arc was good. A bit slow, but a neat look into the New Republic.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Dr Pershing storyline had a lot of Andor-esq touches to it. Lots of emotion investing for the viewer, shaping a sympathetic character, a slower more deliberate tempo. While obvious, you started to see where things were going as Ella (the sexually questionable Imperial Comms officer) kept buttering him up. His naiveté reminded me of Syril Karn, an earnest but, clueless functionary in a giant, intergalactic organization.

I get the sense Bo-Katan is also getting set-up, either by the Armorer or, by Paz Vizla (heavy weapons Mandalorian) for a confrontation. The Armorer knows much more than has been let on, lots of theories are out there, from her being the long-lost 3rd sister, being force-sensitive, to being her mother. Viszla and Kryze are long standing clans that have clashed over history, perhaps a storyline that will develop is the two understanding that their family rivalry hasn't helped their culture or, planet.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
"It was a trap!"

Haha.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post