SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Mandalorian (Disney+) Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Well, that was hot garbage. Don’t get me wrong, visually exciting and a lot of action, but some of the worst storytelling this season. Stuff just happens that doesn’t make much sense and so much deus ex machina. Things that were teased in previous episodes aren’t mentioned or addressed. This really has become a kids show.

Remember the last episode was called “Spies”, implying there’s more than one? Psych! There isn’t another one. Remember in the last episode, the beskar armor Imperial troops were pretty much impervious to Mandolorian weapons, except for Paz’s minigun? Forget it, in this one they get easily taken out by regular blaster fire. Expecting a Mythosaur? No Mythosaur for you!

Right. All of the JJ Abrams acolytes call that "Mystery Box" writing. All you do is continue to wonder whats in the mystery box, but they never give you the answers. It started with the show "Lost".

...but also they rely on "And this happens, and then this happens, and then this happens.."

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9159 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by IrishWind:

Gideon is just played by a crappy actor. He isn't really sinister or dangerous - he is just plain annoying and the King of the Villain Monologue.

Just like in Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Revolution, Once Upon a Time, the list goes on. He is not a very dynamic actor and I do ask myself why he keeps getting cast.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by IrishWind:

Gideon is just played by a crappy actor. He isn't really sinister or dangerous - he is just plain annoying and the King of the Villain Monologue.

Just like in Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Revolution, Once Upon a Time, the list goes on. He is not a very dynamic actor and I do ask myself why he keeps getting cast.

He wasn’t that bad in the first and second season, but he went full cartoon in these last too episodes. Think a lot of that is due to the dialogue given to him to say by the writers, plus the direction he was given. The writing and storytelling has really been all over the place this season.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Quite a few episodes of Andor were and then this happens, and then this happens, …

I had this to say about that Ring thing on Amazon Video,
but it applies here as well:

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
What the heck is this? Someone’s vacation slide show?

And here we are loading the ships, and here we are storming the castle, and here we are walking through the woods, and here we are when the volcano erupted, and here we are pulling a cart through the meadow…

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Goodness...it's official, The Mandalorian is a disjointed mess, too many cooks in the kitchen. As we've seen with nearly every Disney/SW project, there's a severe lack of story writing basics, due to the original idea or, story premise getting pulled-apart into ten different directions and the show runners/directors attempting to patch-work all the demands together in an attempt to hit their requirements for each episode.
What started out in s1 with a very simple character, clean episodes and naturally processing stories, has morphed into this multi-tentreled beast that is unable to get out of its own way. While introducing various characters with their own stories has given a level of complexity, its clear that other parts of the business is influencing the continuity, resulting in odd story arcs and episodes that don't progress the overall story.

This is just another disappointment, I shouldn't be surprised by this, good things never last. While I don't want to blame all the issues on big executives, its quite clear that once the popularity of the show took off, rather than shepherd and provide guidance from an executive level, there was intrusive and prying interference. There may be talk that Faverau & Filoni had overall control, however it's obvious that what they put out, was a result of compromises and accommodations.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the problem is that it’s no longer a simple standalone story. Now it’s just part of a bigger story that gets played out over multiple shows. This show sets up the Ahsoka series, which in turn sets up the future Rey movie, that no one asked for. You can thank Marvel for starting all of this “universe” stuff that everyone is trying to do. Instead of telling a story that begins and ends in a movie or two, they drag it out over many years and different shows and movies that you have to keep watching if you want to make sense of it.

Part of the reason Andor works is because it’s two seasons and out. You already know what happened to him, he dies in Rogue One, so there isn’t any need to do any world building or setup for future series. The world has already been set up.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
That entire season finale was dumb. From start to end it was a shit sandwich. I kept hoping that the enormous dinosaur, that they forgot about, would also catch the falling spaceship and eat it, and then belch.

Two word review.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9159 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I think the problem is that it’s no longer a simple standalone story. Now it’s just part of a bigger story that gets played out over multiple shows. This show sets up the Ahsoka series, which in turn sets up the future Rey movie, that no one asked for. You can thank Marvel for starting all of this “universe” stuff that everyone is trying to do. Instead of telling a story that begins and ends in a movie or two, they drag it out over many years and different shows and movies that you have to keep watching if you want to make sense of it.

The show was always the gateway into a bigger series of shows, however it didn't go sideways until AFTER s2. Hard to believe but, this show started BEFORE all the lockdown bullshit back in Nov 2019. S2 started in Oct 2020, audience and reviewers were in full-stoke, Ashoka is introduced, Grogru leaves with Luke Skywalker to learn to be a Jedi, everyone has a good cry, fantastic season finale, done.

It wasn't until Kennedy fired Carrano, and she & her cronies sink their hands into Book of Boba Fett did it becoming obvious that things were not well and things were going to go sideways soon. Once s1 of Book of Boba Fett was poop'd out and done, everyone knew LucasFilm was stinking bad and it was affecting everything. Mandalorian had whole scenes plucked from its own third season in an attempt to salvage Fett; think about that Darksabre was supposed to be for THIS season. Obi-Wan Kenobi followed behind and was an even worse of a mess than Fett; both Fett and Kenobi were so bad that they had to be cancelled.

Conceivably Faverau could re-focus on Mandalorian however the turn-over internally with Disney executives, the backroom politicking and posturing then having to salvage Mandalorian scenes for Fett, has likely left he and Filoni beyond frustrated and not well supported. Season3 of Mandalorian came out a full 2.5-years AFTER it's second season, was less than stellar with marginal scripts, odd story arcs and questionable directing.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Well, it was good while it lasted. We had 1.3 good seasons of The Mandalorian. This season started off really well, but just went off the rails. The first episodes were good, progressing the story. Then, it just sort of lost its way.

They had an ENTIRE episode showing Dr Packard, who really had no real part to play in the story at this point. The entire episode was a waste, as you can skip it and not miss a thing. The Jack Black Episode is the same, as it was just a waste of time and did not progress the story. THEN, they had to finish it all off in the last 2 episodes, leaving these excessively rushed.

Bad storytelling.

This last episode was so boring, I had a hard time maintaining interest. I was genuinely relieved when it was over, so I didn't have to spend any more time watching it.

Some of my bigger gripes:

Mando is captured. ONCE AGAIN, they don't remove his helmet, EVEN THOUGH the bad guy KNOWS this would totally humiliate him. Then, they have him 'hauled off for interrogation' by a grand total of TWO storm troopers. Of course, Mando easily escapes.

They use R5 to disable shields, one at a time, so Mando can fight and easily defeat a series of guards, instead of fighting ALL of them at once. Whoever is in charge of Imperial security should be shot.

Did Gideon say he could use the Force now? Really, I didn't care enough to pay close attention. . .

Mando and Grogu fight the red guard guys, and of course it's a no-brainer that Mando wins. Now, it was vaguely interesting, as Grogu was using the Force to keep the red guys off balance and to keep them from using their weapons, but the whole fight was dumb.

Oh, they crash the Imperial cruiser into the base on Mandalor to end the fight. It was just boring, and of course, it lands within feet of the heroes. Grogu pulls off a deux ex machina, and the bad guy dies while they survive. Yawn.

They re-light the forge, and everything is now hunky dory. No Giant Space Turtle. We see the Mythosaur, but it doesn't do anything but sit underwater and wink at the camera. Somebody above stated it was no real 'story' - just a bunch of stuff that happened one after the other. I have to agree. It was very underwhelming.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did Gideon say he could use the Force now? Really, I didn't care enough to pay close attention. . .

No, he said he wanted Grogu so that his clones could have a hot “The Force” injection. Thanks for that prequels. Roll Eyes

This whole story-line with the clones and force being something you can just take a shot of is stupid as shit.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
This dude is always on point, but this pitch meeting may be his magnum opus. Absolutely brilliant.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post