SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
A retired Army Colonel friend of mine was assigned to Spandau Prison in the late 50's/early 60's. He said Albert Speer: His Battle With The Truth was very good.

quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
On my Kindle reader, I am halfway through 'Wool', by Hugh Howey, book 1 of the Silo trilogy.

In 'real' books, I have just started 'Inside the Third Reich', by Albert Speer, Hitler's architect.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Here's something a little different, "Running With Sherman" by Christopher McDougall. It's much more than a book about a donkey, made me wish I was a whole lot younger. I read enough history or novels, this was refreshing.

https://www.amazon.com/Running...-ebook/dp/B07NKPW2NP

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
In fiction, a number of thrillers, especially by Stephen Hunter. In the middle of The Day Before Midnight.

Nonfiction:

Finished fairly recently:
On Killing Remotely: “The Psychology of Killing With Drones,” Wayne Phelps
Ends of War: “The Unfinished Fight of Lee’s Army after Appomattox,” Caroline E. Janney
The Goodness Paradox: “The Strange Relationship Between Virtue and Violence in Human Evolution,” Richard Wrangham
In the Devil’s Shadow: “U.N. Special Operations During the Korean War,” Michael E. Haas
Man Without a Face: Autobiography of Markus Wolf, former head of the East German foreign intelligence service.
The Second World Wars, Victor Davis Hanson (second reading), and others
George Washington’s Secret Six: “The Spy Ring that Saved the American Revolution,” Brian Kilmeade
The Zimmermann Telegram: “Intelligence, Diplomacy, and American’s Entry into World War I,” Thomas Boghardt (no, not the one by Barbara Tuchman)
The Unthinkable: “Who Survives When Disaster Strikes—and Why,” Amanda Ripley (second reading)
The Los Alamos Primer: “The First Lectures on How to Build an Atomic Bomb,” Robert Serber
The Fallen: “A True Story of American POWs and Japanese Wartime Atrocities,” Marc Landas

In the process:
The Scourge of War: “The Life of William Tecumseh Sherman,” Brian Holden Reid
Seduced by Secrets: “Inside the [East German] Stasi’s Spy-Tech World,” Kristie Macrakis
Clandestine Photography: “Basic to Advanced Daytime and Nighttime Manual Surveillance Photography Techniques,” Siljander and Juusola
Einstein’s Unfinished Revolution: “The Search for What Lies Beyond the Quantum,” Lee Smolin

In the queue:
Feet to the Fire: “CIA Covert Operations in Indonesia 1957-1958,” Conboy and Morrison
True Believer: “Inside the investigation and capture of Ana Montes, Cuba’s Master Spy,” Scott W. Carmichael
Battlegrounds: “The Fight to Defend the Free World,” H.R. McMaster
The Dying Citizen, Victor Davis Hanson
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, William L. Shirer. My world history teacher in high school (1963) used the book as the basis for a semester’s focus on Nazi Germany and I read it myself a few years later. I recently decided I should read it again in light of so much I’ve learned about the subject since then.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Based on seeing Parabellum's choice, I decided to try it, so I'm now halfway through The Shootist.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Whitetail Wisdom a 12 step guide
Night of Thunder
I, Sniper
Dead Zero
Soft Target

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
The “Rise & Fall of the Third Reich” by Shirer is an excellent book for the historical background.

For another of his books, check out “Berlin Diary”. That book covers his time in Berlin up to early 1940, giving a behind-the-scenes contacts of what was happening daily. Notably missing is an entry for November 9, 1938, as he was out of the country (France, I believe), so any Kristallnacht references are for after-the-fact.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Just ordered, "The Genealogical Adam and Eve: The Surprising Science of Universal Ancestry".

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
The “Rise & Fall of the Third Reich” by Shirer is an excellent book for the historical background.

For another of his books, check out “Berlin Diary”. That book covers his time in Berlin up to early 1940, giving a behind-the-scenes contacts of what was happening daily. Notably missing is an entry for November 9, 1938, as he was out of the country (France, I believe), so any Kristallnacht references are for after-the-fact.

I grew up near him (Shirer)as a kid but never read the book until about ten years ago.
Although it's long, it seems much shorter and keeps your attention. There are so many important lessons there and many I wouldn't have understood earlier in my life.
The book isn't so much a war story as an inside telling of the political maneuvering that brought a crazy psychopath into control of a modern country and caused a great tragedy.
Shirer lived there as this was unfolding and escaped at the last moments.
After the war he had access to many people and documents from the Nuremberg trials and created this book that makes you feel like you are in the room as this happens.

I recently watched a documentary, Final Account, that was done about 10-15 years ago. They interview a number of somewhat ordinary older Germans that were involved in this but survived the war and lived to old age.
Most had a part in the events but easily rationalize what they and other did.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Up from Slavery: An Autobiography
- Booker T. Washington

A great American that I recognize now, I should have been taught more about in school. Still have a ways to go in the book but the life he has lived up to this point is already most remarkable.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Mel Brooks, All About Me. Very friendly writing style. And funny-of course.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
"Black Ice" by Brad Thor.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Based on seeing Parabellum's choice, I decided to try it, so I'm now halfway through The Shootist.

Same here (based on...). I just finished it. It captured me and I didn't put it down, though that's not hard with a <200 page book. Wink I never saw the movie.

I just picked up from the library Jeffery Deaver's latest, The Midnight Lock, Lincoln Rhyme book 15. It's up next.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

Same here (based on...). I just finished it. It captured me and I didn't put it down, though that's not hard with a <200 page book. Wink I never saw the movie.

I just picked up from the library Jeffery Deaver's latest, The Midnight Lock, Lincoln Rhyme book 15. It's up next.

The movie and the book The Shootist pretty much tracked except for the last scene.

I'm now reading Sycamore Row by John Grisham.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I recently finished a re-read of Garrett Mattingly's "The Armada" which is a marvelous political and factual history of the events that lead to the Spanish Armada, and it's defeat.

I am currently re-reading John Toland's "The Rising Sun" paying greater attention to the internal politics of the Japanese war effort than when I was younger. I am now more interested in the decision making than I am the combat.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Started book 1 of The Expanse: Leviathan Wakes last night. 4 chapters in.
The show tracks really closely to the book, so far.
Got the first 3 from my girls yesterday for my birthday. Hefty mini-box set (hardback).

Finished Leviathan Wakes last week & dug into Caliban's War, about 1/3 through it.
Going to need to order the next 3 books soon, at this rate.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently started Brian Kilmeade's The President and the Freedom Fighter. Good read thus far.

NRA Member

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Posts: 72 | Location: Tulsa County, Oklahoma | Registered: June 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James Patterson "Toys"

Fan of Sig, Colt, S&W, Beretta, Browning, etc, etc.

Posts: 168 | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm now reading Sycamore Row by John Grisham.

Sycamore Row is the sequel to A Time to Kill, Grisham's first book, written in 1989. 24 years between the two, but Sycamore Row's story line picks up only a few months after A Time to Kill. I found both to be excellent, perhaps his best work, and a vivid window into the Deep South during the 1980s.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drums Along the Mohawk by Walter Edmonds. Most of the main characters are fictional but is based on actual events in the Mohawk Valley during the Revolutionary War. Excellent book.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Started book 1 of The Expanse: Leviathan Wakes last night. 4 chapters in.
The show tracks really closely to the book, so far.
Got the first 3 from my girls yesterday for my birthday. Hefty mini-box set (hardback).

Finished Leviathan Wakes last week & dug into Caliban's War, about 1/3 through it.
Going to need to order the next 3 books soon, at this rate.

And, done with Caliban's War
A few more deviations between the show & book, but still kept much closer than Game of Thrones

Pleasantly surprised how quickly these hefty books go by. Definitely expected it to take longer to get through them.

Starting Abaddon's Gate tonight.

Need to order 4-6 soon.
Also need to look into the Novellas & side stories. Edit: Looks like the novellas are being published as a compilation in March '22.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post