SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I just finished "The Quartet" by Joseph Ellis. I probably knew a lot of what's in this book but I'm old and needed a refresher. Great read on the forming of the United States and writing the Constitution. Very readable, made me go and get his "Founding Brothers" to read next.

Founding Brothers is an excellent book. I'm a huge fan of his writing.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
About to finish Abaddon's Gate
Cannot find a hardback copy of Cibola Burn for <$100 online. No one has it in stock, only used copies available. Mad

Edit: Moot point. Wife ordered the next, 1 at least, she didn't specify, in paperback, will be here tomorrow Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Sunburst: The Rise of Japanese Naval Air Power, 1909-1941

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Cibola Burn & Nemesis Games are on my desk, should tide me over for a few weeks.
I was pretty amazed that I blew through ~1,500 pages of the first 3 books in 6 weeks, only reading an hour or so at night.

Helps that I'd seen the series through twice (seasons 1-5) so I know the story.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobre sig:
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I just finished "The Quartet" by Joseph Ellis. I probably knew a lot of what's in this book but I'm old and needed a refresher. Great read on the forming of the United States and writing the Constitution. Very readable, made me go and get his "Founding Brothers" to read next.

Founding Brothers is an excellent book. I'm a huge fan of his writing.

You're so right, it was excellent. I learned so much about the beginnings of our country from these two books.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
To Kill a Mockingbird

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Twilight of the Gods by Ian Toll.

3rd and final volume detailing the US's involvement in WW2 in the Pacific. Fascinating detail and insight into many of the decisions made during the war and the politics involved.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Post Captain, for like the 5-6th time. Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. But I'll likely move to something else after, having finished my third circumnavigation of the 20-book series last year.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Started reading The Hobbit but couldnt get into it.

Just started Hue 1968 by Mark Bowden last night.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
The Day Before Midnight
I, Ripper
G-Man

I am done with Stephen Hunter for now, going to move on to another author.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Cibola Burn & Nemesis Games are on my desk, should tide me over for a few weeks.
I was pretty amazed that I blew through ~1,500 pages of the first 3 books in 6 weeks, only reading an hour or so at night.

I had read the first 6 books over the years but waited for show to end and then burned through the last 3 books in a month. Just finished Leviathan Falls yesterday; phenomenal story telling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2695 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whisp:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

I had read the first 6 books over the years but waited for show to end and then burned through the last 3 books in a month. Just finished Leviathan Falls yesterday; phenomenal story telling.

I'm a bit over halfway through Cibola Burn.
Lots of differences to the show on this one. Naomi being a big change.
Apadt from her, no real effect on the overall story, just different.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Without Remorse, Tom Clancy

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Currently, I'm reading Larry McMurtry's The Last Picture Show.

Very few films which are based upon novels follow the novels almost perfectly with few changes/omissions. The Last Picture Show is one of them. John Huston's version of The Maltese Falcon is another, but the Peter Bogdonovich/Larry McMurtry screenplay for the film follows the novel even more closely, and that's quite an achievement for Hollywood.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Currently reading 'Stalin's War' by Sean McMeekin. McMeekin takes a revisionist view of WWII, but backs up his argument with lots of sources. It's a very interesting book.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Soft Depotism, Democracy's Drift by Dr. Paul Rahe

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Finished Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged a last week. Now reading again Steven King's The Stand

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I just started Vince Flynn's Consent To Kill. I'm going through the Mitch Rapp series in order of the series as opposed to the dates they're written.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The guns of John Moses Browning.
And rereading "Low Level Hell". A Vietnam helicopter pilot.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story Of American Submarine Espionage

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post