SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Take out that asphalt runoff area and make it gravel. Guaranteed Loui would’ve fell behind Max and stayed within track limits.

The tie breaker should been between the two of them on the Nordschleife.

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Classism is no better than racism.

Louis walks around with BLM jerseys on the podium in violation of FIA rules in formula one. He’s a hypocrite. No Comprende?

What does classism have to do with this? Hamilton was given an award by his government for acheivement, and the government was represented by the nominal head of state (or in this case, her delegate). If you want to criticize HRH Chuck or British society as a whole for being a classist, you might have a valid point.

Since I don't think this involves classism, then it isn't hypocrisy to be complaining about racism.

As for violating F1's rules, how does that bear on the English knighthood? The UK isn't in charge of enforcing F1 rules.

But I do now comprehend. You don't like Hamilton at all, and will complain about anything he does.

Yeah I’m a hater… What astute analysis on your part.

I know you’re smarter than this… You know what classism is and you also (should) know the UK is filled with it.

There are whole societies like India that have instantiated classes.

If you think England is somehow different just because it’s ceremonial and an “award” - well I guess I got nothing for you then. Ever visit the house of lords?

Folks put tall hats and medallions on grand dragons of the KKK too. I suppose you’ll be accusing me of hating him because of his skin color next, such as the nature of your “Hate” analysis.

There are none so blind…

That is my point. British society is classist (or has classist elements), so if this is a criticism of Britain, I get it. How does it turn into a valid criticism of Hamilton for accepting an award from the British state? Should he refuse the award? Should all Britons refuse all such awards, and drive the Queen out of Buckingham Palace? Do you heap this same scorn of any Briton, or just members of the House of Lords or others with titles? Why be mad at those with knighthoods (which you don't have to be high-born to get.)

A knighthood like he got is the equivalent of the Presidential Medal of Freedom. I don't see it as taking part in the classist elements of British culture and society. Hell, Hamilton is at the bottom of the British class system as a poor non-white person. This is a merit-based award - I just don't see why it is offensive just because the Prince of Wales hands it to him.

What the fuck does India have to do with this. Yes, they have classes, too. And they used to be under British rule . . . ?

Your anger about British classism seems very unfocused and free-floating. Just what is it you are mad about? You aren't even British. Apply more logic to this situation.

I don't know why you don't like Hamilton. Accepting a knighthood seems a poor reason, but if you say that is what it is, okay. It seems to me that you don't like Hamilton and you don't like classism in Britain, so you have it all mushed up together somehow. I can't pull it apart.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little off-topic gentlemen…

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Apologies Chris. Back on topic.

Put in gravel.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hoping for much closer racing in '22
Maybe we'll get some flashes of 2014-15 when some of the midfield were fighting for podiums.

Hoping we get more than YouTube highlights of testing.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apologies Chris. Back on topic.

Put in gravel.

They've had all gravel before, grass, and combinations of those and more.

The idea is to make it as safe as possible and have cars able to continue in the race. Years ago a first lap like we have now would result in a third of the field out on lap one.

There is also the issue of dropping stones back onto the track if you can get out, creating a real safety hazard.
Helmut Marko himself had a short F1 career after he was struck in the eye by a stone, blinding him in one eye.

I don't have a problem with the asphalt, just the lack of a clear rule and enforcement method. A few of the courses have bollards you need to go around that result in a several second penalty. Watch the famous Senna-Prost Suzuka incident for a good example.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Style point if you want to be in with the cool kids over at the Brit-centric Autosport F1 forum, SLH is now the given standard.

I'll throw this back in this post, SLH showing why some are less than reverential about who he is --

‘F*** you’ message at 2021 finale ‘coincidence’ – Hamilton

fta - Mercedes’ Hamilton, having called his Dutch rival “f***ing crazy” on the radio in Saudi Arabia, walked into the circuit wearing a jumper with the words “F*** you” on the back.

“That’s just a coincidence,” the seven time world champion insisted. “I only saw it when I was getting dressed.”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ripley,

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mercedes Drops Finale Appeal

quote:

Mercedes have announced that they won’t be pursuing an appeal over the race stewards’ dismissal of their protest at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix last Sunday, which saw Red Bull driver Max Verstappen crowned champion.

In the aftermath of the race at Yas Marina, Mercedes lodged two protests against the outcome of the race – which Lewis Hamilton led the majority of, before Verstappen passed him on the final lap, having changed tyres under the Safety Car.

Those protests related first to Verstappen allegedly passing Hamilton under the Safety Car, and second to the decision to allow five lapped cars to unlap themselves behind the Safety Car immediately before racing resumed for the final lap of the race.

On Sunday evening, the stewards dismissed Mercedes’ protests, with the team announcing in the aftermath that they had lodged a notice of intention to appeal the decision – giving Mercedes 96 hours to weigh up whether or not to lodge their grounds for appeal.

However, on Thursday morning, the team announced they wouldn’t be pursuing the matter further, following an announcement from the FIA that an investigation would be carried out into the events surrounding the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

“We hereby withdraw our appeal,” ran a statement from the team. “Together with Lewis, we have deliberated carefully over how to respond to the events at the Formula 1 season finale.

“We appealed in the interest of sporting fairness, and we have since been in a constructive dialogue with the FIA and Formula 1 to create clarity for the future, so that all competitors know the rules under which they are racing, and how they will be enforced.

“Thus, we welcome the decision by the FIA to install a commission to thoroughly analyse what happened in Abu Dhabi and to improve the robustness of rules, governance and decision making in Formula 1. We also welcome that they have invited the teams and drivers to take part.”

Mercedes also offered congratulations to Verstappen and Red Bull in their statement, writing: “We would like to express our sincere respect for your achievements this season. You made this Formula 1 Championship title fight truly epic. Max, we congratulate you and your entire team. We look forward to taking the fight to you on the track next season.”

Mercedes’ announcement followed a statement from the FIA on Wednesday evening, in which the sport’s governing body proposed to conduct a “detailed analysis and clarification exercise” around the events of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

The statement ran: “Following the presentation of a report regarding the sequence of events that took place following the incident on Lap 53 of the Grand Prix and in a constant drive for improvement, the FIA President proposed to the World Motor Sport Council that a detailed analysis and clarification exercise for the future with all relevant parties will now take place.

“This matter will be discussed and addressed with all the teams and drivers to draw any lessons from this situation and clarity to be provided to the participants, media, and fans about the current regulations to preserve the competitive nature of our sport while ensuring the safety of the drivers and officials. It is not only Formula 1 that may benefit from this analysis, but also more generally all the other FIA circuit championships.

“Following that presentation and an extensive discussion, the World Council has decided to unanimously support the President’s proposal.”

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow’s Headline - Michael Massi gets Promotion and Raise as Race Director in 20 Year Contract

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Glad the season's over.
Got an email that YouTubeTV & Disney could not reach an agreement for contract renewal & Disney/ESPN have been removed as of 12/17.

If they don't get it sorted by March, might cancel & finally take the plunge on F1TV.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Threatening to quit F1 … Ha ha
That’s pretty funny watching sir baby rock his pram, toss his rattle in the corner and kick the slats out of his crib.

~Robert A. Heinlein

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Come on Sir Chinstrap, retire! F1 would be better if you did.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
Come on Sir Chinstrap, retire! F1 would be better if you did.

From a few days ago --

Lewis Hamilton, Toto Wolff will not attend FIA prizegiving gala

PARIS, France -- Lewis Hamilton and his Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff will not attend the FIA's prize giving ceremony in Paris on Thursday evening, Wolff has confirmed. blah blah blah...

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Glad the season's over.
Got an email that YouTubeTV & Disney could not reach an agreement for contract renewal & Disney/ESPN have been removed as of 12/17.

If they don't get it sorted by March, might cancel & finally take the plunge on F1TV.

Dispute resolved, Disney & ESPN are back. YTTV stays for now in our house.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
RE: The last few posts.

I'd genuinely be shocked if LH took his ball & went home.
He's in prime racing form, with the car to back it up.

Supposedly he was the reason MB dropped their appeal, as he didn't want to win the title in court.

The new FIA president has already said 'no sympathy' for LH skipping the prize gala, if rules were breached. Though it'll be a financial & not a driving penalty, so a drop in the bucket for LH.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:

How do you know whether the MB will be dominate next year? It's entirely possible with the new car regulations that MB could be mid-pack. This last season, 2021, was Sir Chinstrap's best chance at eight Driver's Championships.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
quote:

How do you know whether the MB will be dominate next year? It's entirely possible with the new car regulations that MB could be mid-pack. This last season, 2021, was Sir Chinstrap's best chance at eight Driver's Championships.

True, but I don't expect them to drop much off the front, if at all.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
So when they float the rules for a Safety Car, Sir Chinstrap is nowhere to be found.

When they float the rules for Knighthood, Sir Chinstrap is there. Childish much?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
91 yr old F1 Supremo Bernie “the poison dwarf” Ecclestone echoes my sentiments exactly.

No reason for the lordship other than being rich (i.e. no value delivered to England) and that his loss in the race is simply racing, w/ louis being the past benefactor of last second issues, winning the WC i.e. Timo Glock, Felipe Massa in Brazil.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Bernie also thinks Flavio Briatore should be running Ferrari if they want to win again.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/...ari-flavio-briatore/

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post