SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 ... 228
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have yet to see or read a good reason why they need to use a pressurized helicopter refueling rig while every other formula in the world can do just fine with a gravity fed system.

They (F1) haven't allowed refueling at all for about a decade.
Cars start the race on the entire fuel load they will use, plus a gallon for sampling & testing after the race for legality reasons.

As to the second part of the story, I wonder how that effects the whole Red Bull Powertrains operation they have been setting up, recruiting a number of other teams personnel?

I guess I answered my own question. They will work on the next generation engine while Honda Japan supplies the present version.
The engines spec will be frozen at the beginning of this year to the end of that spec.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/...d-honda-engine-deal/

Posts: 9488 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Cars start the race on the entire fuel load they will use, plus a gallon for sampling & testing after the race for legality reasons.

Which is why they’re so dependent on tire degradation.

Posts: 4147 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
While the strategy of pit stops is interesting, it would be more interesting to have passing on the track be more prevalent. The comment about wanting to see more on-track racing, and less chess match strategizing about pit stops is absolutely true.

At some tracks, where the course makes it hard to pass (Monaco), strategizing may still be relatively more important, but I think most fans would prefer to see more driving and less strategery.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:
I have yet to see or read a good reason why they need to use a pressurized helicopter refueling rig while every other formula in the world can do just fine with a gravity fed system.

Or so they hope
Vettel podium DQ last season Eek
That had to sting.

I can't recall anyone running out of fuel since I started watching again in 2014.
All the telemetry & 'lift & coast' probably alleviates that.

I wish they'd relax some of the restrictions & let the teams extract more from the cars.
Right now the V6T is capped at 15k RPM, but drivers 'short shift' around 12-13k because there's no power above that due to fuel flow restrictions.

But, I also wish we could have the wail of the V10s back.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15238 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Yeah, that's for sure. Is it fair to say we're into a half generation or more of fans who have no idea what that sound was? To be pedantic, it was a scream. Eek Eek

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8323 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:

Yeah, that's for sure. Is it fair to say we're into a half generation or more of fans who have no idea what that sound was? To be pedantic, it was a scream. Eek Eek

I'm glad the first year we went to COTA, they had the 2 2-seater cars running. Got to experience the V10 banshee in person, even if only at 75% or so.
The 2nd year, they'd switched to the sports cars (McLaren, Mercedes & Aston IIRC) instead.

The V6T, you can pretty much keep up a conversation as they pass.
Those V10s, you can hear them from 1 mile away Eek
Also got to see the Ford DFV cars in the vintage race.

Posts: 15238 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:

For those that need a refresher or have never experience the sound and sight, turn up the sound and put on full screen view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf60PzHrntk

Same place from in the car. Shots from 1987 to 2000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iSGpnp-b7g

Posts: 9488 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the race at Spa!!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The 2004 Monza lap from Montoya was great too. Record lasted until 2018 IIRC when Räikkönen beat it.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://jalopnik.com/formula-1...ccination-1848453807

quote:
​​​​​​​
Formula 1's current strategy on dealing with Covid is heavily reliant on lots and lots of testing and contact tracing, though without a strict vaccine mandate for those in the paddock. It sounds like that’s going to change for 2022.

There had been some rumblings about this last month, but it also sounds like the drama around tennis player Novak Djokovic recently getting kicked out of Australia for not being vaxxed might have pushed F1 over the edge. The new policy is simply: All F1 staff have to be vaccinated.

From PA Media:

quote:
​​​​​​​
The policy drawn up by the sport’s governing body will be written into the regulations for the new season and will apply to all drivers, teams, media and hospitality guests. It is expected that no exemptions will be granted.

The sport hopes the rule will avoid a repeat of the Novak Djokovic fiasco which overshadowed the build-up to this month’s Australian Open. All of the grid’s current drivers are understood to be vaccinated.

An F1 spokesperson said: “Formula One management will require all travelling personnel to be fully vaccinated and will not request exemptions.”

While it is understood the majority of personnel within the teams, F1 and the FIA have been moving towards the double-jabbed policy, the mandate will pose a dilemma for those opposed to compulsory vaccination.

The Guardian mentions Alan van der Merwe, the F1 medical car driver who missed races last year because he opted not to get the vaccine, and apparently still hasn’t gotten it, suggesting we may not see him back in 2022. As far as I can tell, Van der Merwe was last heard on the subject in November, when he was arguing with someone on Twitter about it — surely a great use of his time

Anyway, good for Formula 1, though clearly they are doing this in part to avoid further disruptions as they travel the world, and not for health reasons solely. Still, it doesn’t really matter at this point, whatever it takes to get more jabs in more arms.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Several countries probably require it and with their travel schedule, nobody wants this to be a problem.
Look at the recent Australian tennis mess then look at how many more participants go along with the F1 show.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Dan H shared a video on the previous page about the cars and rule changes for 2022. This video was produced by Formula 1

F1 will not allow the video to be embedded, but here’s the link.

F1 2022

Posts: 13223 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Haas jumps first with the VF-22

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...ioqDq0QuojBQXp9.html

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Can’t hardly wait for Bahrain to see ‘em run in anger!

Melbourne can go fuck itself if they can’t pull their head out of their asses.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Confused

Did I miss something on Melbourne? They're race #3 IIRC, after Bahrain & Saudi.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Confused

Did I miss something on Melbourne? They're race #3 IIRC, after Bahrain & Saudi.

You think Australia has sensible public health policies that will allow this to go one unfettered?

If so, you have far more faith in the Australian government than I do. But I could be wrong.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do hope that Haas is competitive this year, and that Mick S. can show off his skills.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Haas jumps first with the VF-22

Which would make sense since they've been working on it all last year

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The car is also embarrassingly short on sponsors. Hopefully, they can fix that this year before the team becomes Marussia 2.0.

Speaking of Melbourne, they’re finishing up changes to Albert Park. Supposedly, it’ll be 5 seconds a lap quicker.

Posts: 4147 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post