SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 ... 229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Saw a headline earlier today that eases the Senna/Prost Suzuka concerns.

IIRC, the title was something to the effect of the FIA saying that they would look at deducting points as a penalty for deliberately taking out an opposing driver.
I assume this would include up to a DQ for a team, if say Perez took Lewis out instead of Max.

Hoping for a good finale this weekend. Revised layout is supposedly going to give lap times around 15 seconds faster/lap.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
There was an article this morning that suggested tires may be an issue.
The track has installed the same type curbing as used in Qatar where they had the hardest three compounds and several failures that were blamed on the type of curbing.

Here they brought the three softest and Pirelli are concerned there could be failures. I'm not sure why the compound is an issue as that seems like a tire construction issue. Maybe that's different with different compound ranges. I'm sure we'll hear more if that's the case.

Lets just hope clean but well driven race and no need for the officials to get in the middle.

https://dailynationtoday.com/l...e-curb-in-abu-dhabi/

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Force a 2 stop & more strategy?
At least the teams have some track knowledge here, unlike Losail.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I wonder if F1 will ever allow a real race to break out.

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Merc considering a fresh engine and 5 place penalty again for Lewis.

I wonder what Honda and RB's opinion/plans are if that happens? Looked recently like a fresh engine dialed up to Max (hehehe) served Merc pretty well. Given RB don't have to win just beat Lewis do they take the same gamble and hope that if starting 6-8th place they all get taken out if one does? Whatever they do, they have to let Merc make first move.

That would be a pretty tough call. I think the complete disregard for engine longevity in a one-race push would be tempting.

And also very risky for a kaboom.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Raikkonen tribute on the Alfa this weekend:

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
How about an engine turned up to 11 for qualifying, then a fresh engine for the race?

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
How about an engine turned up to 11 for qualifying, then a fresh engine for the race?

I'd guess a bigger grid drop, or pit lane start, if the engine were replaced after quali, as the cars are in parq ferme as soon as the lights go green for Q1.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that the engine they ran today could have been an older unit in the pool. As the season goes on, many of the parts that have a specified life and are still good get used on Friday as common practice.
The engine they have in the car starting tomorrow is the one that counts or you get the penalty.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
On another subject, sad news today as Big Al, Al Unser Sr. passed away after a decade+ bout with cancer.
I met him years ago, parked for a weekend next to his motor home in a Indycar paddock.
He seemed to be a genuinely decent guy that had a real love of the sport beyond just his own involvement. Four time Indy 500 winner and I think he lead more laps than anyone else. I don't think I ever heard even any of his competitors say anything but good things about him.
82 years old.

A nice story about his life and career here.
https://racer.com/2021/12/10/al-unser-1939-2021/

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
So far so good. Pole and 4th for Max and Checo. Lewis in 2nd and Bottas in 6th.

As far as Al Sr. goes, that's another tough loss in the IndyCar family this year. On the plus side, at least we were able to get this before his passiing:

https://images.app.goo.gl/v5YJftStfMbaSyT89

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
YES!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It'll be interesting with the Mercs the only ones in the top 6 starting on the meds.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Stewards... Line one. Any available stewards please answer line one... Confused

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Unbelievable… Eek

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDHunz:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Unbelievable… Eek

So much for being consistent from one week to the next. Frown

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
! ! ! ! ! ! !

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
That was crazy!!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fuck you Mercedes. Big Grin

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That. Was. AWESOME!!!

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post