SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 ... 229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I think the other challenge, and the reason their best bet was MV overtaking LH, is that's an infraction by a driver or team who could be then penalized. I think LH speeding/braking nullified that claim.

The challenge on safety car would be a violation of the race officials. It is impossible to imagine how you would penalize a team or driver for the actions taken by FIA rather than them. Of course they'd argue that's ostensibly what you've done to Mercedes by letting it stand, but how do you "undo" that decision after the fact.

What a mess.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
It seems to me that if the discussion is going to center on consistency of the application of rules, it would be necessary to discuss the first lap incident between Hamilton and Verstappen that produced “no investigation” of the improvement in track position Hamilton gained after leaving the race course vs. the penalty imposed upon Verstappen in a similar incident the previous race.

But LH didn't improve his position.

He was leading when he went off the track and did not gain a position when he returned...he was still in the lead

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was leading when he went off the track

I'm pretty sure this was the first lap overtake from the tires. He was leading going into the corner, but not when he went off I think?

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
He was leading when he went off the track

I'm pretty sure this was the first lap overtake from the tires. He was leading going into the corner, but not when he went off I think?

and when he came back on the track he was 50-75m ahead of Verstappen. When I used the phrase “track position” I was honestly referring to the gap he gained, although Georgeair’s post/picture might suggest he gained a place too.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
As they were about at the apex, Lewis' front wheel was about even with Max' head or about 1/2 car length behind. At the point where he left the track he was almost completely behind.
Even if he had given the position back he could have passed and pulled away again, based on his apparent speed advantage but who knows. Max may have kept him back with clever positioning of his car and backed him up to Perez.
No way to know.

Posts: 9509 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Saw a story today that kind of makes me sad for Daniil Kyvat. Verstappen replaced Kyvat at Red Bull because he kept crashing and couldn't handle the pressure. Max holds onto his seat helping improve the Red Bull into a car that can hold its own, beats Lewis Hamilton, becomes the F1 World Champion, and celebrates with the mother of Kvyat's 2 year old daughter.

Kelly Piquet, who's also Nelson Piquet's daughter, has been all over Instagram celebrating with Max, and if Daniil Kyvat wasn't a fuck up hot head that couldn't keep his head or his cool when things mattered the most, he could be the Formula 1 World Champion and celebrate with her and his 2 year old daughter.

Talk about coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Posts: 4166 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
As they were about at the apex, Lewis' front wheel was about even with Max' head or about 1/2 car length behind. At the point where he left the track he was almost completely behind.
Even if he had given the position back he could have passed and pulled away again, based on his apparent speed advantage but who knows. Max may have kept him back with clever positioning of his car and backed him up to Perez.
No way to know.

Lew chooses to stay in it, goes off track, cuts the corner. He lets off a bit and maybe Max drives over Lew's front left and Max launches. We can't have hip-checks every time, something's gotta give before things get real ugly.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Take out that asphalt runoff area and make it gravel. Guaranteed Loui would’ve fell behind Max and stayed within track limits.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Can we all agree that Michael Masi and the Stewards did a shitacular F- for the entire year? Why wouldn't the finale have terrible rule making supported and hated by the teams who benefited and lost out depending on what way the wind blew?

Posts: 4166 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
On at least a positive note saw that Ross declared this lobbying the Director during a race bullshit will end for 2022.

That this took so long is what's really laughable.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Can we all agree that Michael Masi and the Stewards did a shitacular F- for the entire year? Why wouldn't the finale have terrible rule making supported and hated by the teams who benefited and lost out depending on what way the wind blew?

The rulings were inconsistent and mid-race rulings were sometimes not clearly communicated. The refereeing needs to improve a lot.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

The refereeing needs to improve a lot.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

Oh my, lords and ladies…

Elitist prigs…

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Love him, hate him or neutral, that is sorta cool and rarified air with only 3 other drivers (Brabham,Moss and Stewart).

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

Oh my, lords and ladies…

Elitist prigs…

Well, he is English and the English give out minor knighthoods for such things in all sorts of fields of endeavor, so what is the complaint?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take out that asphalt runoff area and make it gravel. Guaranteed Loui would’ve fell behind Max and stayed within track limits.

This, absolutely!!!

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: May 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Oh my, lords and ladies…

Elitist prigs…

Well, he is English and the English give out minor knighthoods for such things in all sorts of fields of endeavor, so what is the complaint?

Classism is no better than racism.

Louis walks around with BLM jerseys on the podium in violation of FIA rules in formula one. He’s a hypocrite. No Comprende?

~Robert A. Heinlein

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Louis walks around with BLM jerseys on the podium in violation of FIA rules in formula one. He’s a hypocrite. No Comprende?

What does classism have to do with this? Hamilton was given an award by his government for acheivement, and the government was represented by the nominal head of state (or in this case, her delegate). If you want to criticize HRH Chuck or British society as a whole for being a classist, you might have a valid point.

Since I don't think this involves classism, then it isn't hypocrisy to be complaining about racism.

As for violating F1's rules, how does that bear on the English knighthood? The UK isn't in charge of enforcing F1 rules.

But I do now comprehend. You don't like Hamilton at all, and will complain about anything he does.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What does classism have to do with this? Hamilton was given an award by his government for acheivement, and the government was represented by the nominal head of state (or in this case, her delegate). If you want to criticize HRH Chuck or British society as a whole for being a classist, you might have a valid point.

Since I don't think this involves classism, then it isn't hypocrisy to be complaining about racism.

As for violating F1's rules, how does that bear on the English knighthood? The UK isn't in charge of enforcing F1 rules.

But I do now comprehend. You don't like Hamilton at all, and will complain about anything he does.

Yeah I’m a hater… What astute analysis on your part.

I know you’re smarter than this… You know what classism is and you also (should) know the UK is filled with it.

There are whole societies like India that have instantiated classes.

If you think England is somehow different just because it’s ceremonial and an “award” - well I guess I got nothing for you then. Ever visit the house of lords?

Folks put tall hats and medallions on grand dragons of the KKK too. I suppose you’ll be accusing me of hating him because of his skin color next, such as the nature of your “Hate” analysis.

There are none so blind…

~Robert A. Heinlein