SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
Too bad there wasn’t rain for the race. Another snooze fest

Why, because Max won? Compared to some of the other races, that was one of the better ones. Been a lot more boring races in modern F1.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:
Too bad there wasn’t rain for the race. Another snooze fest

Why, because Max won? Compared to some of the other races, that was one of the better ones. Been a lot more boring races in modern F1.

In part. The lead was never really in doubt. Not even at the first corner of the first lap. I was a bummer to see Alonso not be able to stay on the podium. Mid-field passing doesn’t make for an interesting race, passing at the front does and there was none of it.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mid-field passing doesn’t make for an interesting race, passing at the front does and there was none of it.

That's the difference.
I find mid-field passing the most entertaining...because it's more about the driver's skill

I never expect a lot of lead changes in F1 because of the differences between manufacturers...if I wanted to see more equally matched cars I'd watch Indy Car or Nascar.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not the most exciting race, but not bad.
Bit of a procession as overtaking wasn't easy.

The Williams & Aston seemed to have decent straight-line speed. The Ferrari powered cars seemed to struggle to overtake.

Bummer for Checo, but Max put up a solid defense at the front.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sainz really twisted the neck of his Ferrari, but he just couldn't catch Max. Perhaps the Red team wouldn't allow Sainz to turn up his engine for fear of blowing it up.

I had high hopes for Haas in this race, but it was just not to be.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wolff had a few harsh words for his fellow team principals when they were asked about bouncing last week, accusing teams of “manipulating what is being said” and playing “political games” in order to keep their competitive advantage over the rest of the field.

NO!!!! You don't say?!?

Toto is a serious piece of work for not seeing any similarities here.

“...full Abu Dhabi-spec.”

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It wasn't a bad race, like a lot of them have been this year. There was six or seven laps after the safety car when Ferrari looked like Team Red might be able to catch Red Bull, but in the end they didn't quite have the juice. Sainz just lost a little too much ground in the corners for the DRS advantage to allow a pass.

And I actively dislike Verstappen, but when he was under pressure, he drove well and allowed Ferrari no way past him.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I agree, not bad.
Seemed to be broken into segments by the yellows. No indication that there would be a real challenge for the lead until the final yellow. I just didn't understand why Ferrari didn't put the mediums on at the last stop since they could go the distance and they could manage their way to second anyway if it didn't work out.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Well this week has been a proper shitshow drama off track. Are they still racing or will we have a hand wringing contest instead?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Well this week has been a proper shitshow drama off track. Are they still racing or will we have a hand wringing contest instead?

If things are anywhere close to what Piquet says, then it's just a reflection on society and the hypersensitivity and virtue signaling everyone seems to have to show.
If it's exactly as initially reported, really stupid on his part and a real distraction due to the Verstappen connection, however remote.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/...ng-life-time-ban-f1/

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

If things are anywhere close to what Piquet says, then it's just a reflection on society and the hypersensitivity and virtue signaling everyone seems to have to show.
If it's exactly as initially reported, really stupid on his part and a real distraction due to the Verstappen connection, however remote.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/...ng-life-time-ban-f1/

A ban from the Pits seems appropriate...just to avoid awkwardness.

As I read elsewhere, even if you accept Piquet's translation as "little black boy" not being disrespectful, you'll notice that he doesn't refer to Verstappen as "little white boy."

I not sure how remote a connection it would be when Verstappen is dating your daughter. I haven't read Max's reaction to the incident yet and don't expect to...if he plans to continue dating his girlfriend

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
So what's the over/under for Carlos Sainz dumping the car tomorrow after his first pole position?

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
So what's the over/under for Carlos Sainz dumping the car tomorrow after his first pole position?

To be fair, he did a good job in Canada and kept the pressure on Max for 10 straight laps without making a mistake. He just didn’t have the traction coming out of the hairpin to get past Max on the straight. He also did well in Monaco, basically telling Ferrari when the right time to come in was, instead of letting Ferrari screw him like they did Leclerc. In Baku, he went out with a hydraulic failure after 9 laps, which wasn’t his fault.

Hopefully, he’s getting more confident in the car, which is a good thing for the team. Still, I think Max is faster, and will probably get by fairly quickly.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the Ferraris aren’t fragile tomorrow. But listening to the Brits booing Max today was pretty great.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nasty wreck on the first lap. The Halo paid off for him.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure who was luckier: Sainz or Zhou. Sainz was going backwards on the first start and probably got the win because of that opening crash. Both Zhou and Albon were taken to the hospital because of their crashes, but it's reported that nothing is broken.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Could have gone bad in many ways. You can see why extricating Zhou took some time. During this red flag, climate protesters scaled the fence but were dealt with quickly. One has to think they planned their incursion for the race.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Could have gone bad in many ways. You can see why extricating Zhou took some time. During this red flag, climate protesters scaled the fence but were dealt with quickly. One has to think they planned their incursion for the race.

The protest was planned. The police had made a public statement the day or so before saying they had intelligence that some protesters were planning to get out into the track.

Of course, Hamilton supports these guys after the race.

Asked to clarify his feelings towards it, Hamilton added: “I didn’t know what the protestors were for, so I only just found out. “I just said big up the protestors. I love that people are fighting for the planet. So we need more people like them.”

Surprised Vettel wasn’t out there with them.

posted Hide Post
Took an entire day for me to watch the British GP (had to go to work about a third of the way in). Just finished watching the rest I had to put off from the recording on the DVR. Quite an entertaining race. Congrats to Sainz. And Zhou was indeed fortunate.

One thing I've come to dislike about these broadcasts is listening to the communications between driver and their team. I know that F1 drivers are generally prima donnas as a genotype, and I realize that driving at the pace that they do can get the adrenaline going (even as their heart rate and other vitals usually say otherwise), but damn they are such a whiny bunch of bitches, especially Leclerc and Verstappen. Probably it's due to their relative youth, but I'd rather not have the visual action ruined by their ceaseless complaining when things aren't going in their favor.

As for Hamilton's comment about the planet huggers; more than a little disingenuous one must think, considering Sir Lewey's chosen profession. Statements like that would make any two-faced insider politico proud.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Apparently four or five protesters were on the track at the start of the race. They and unknown drivers were saved by the almost immediate red flag. It's been suggested those protesters should have been Clockwork Oranged, eyes pried open and made to watch Tom Pryce's fatal Kyalami crash in 1977. I won't link to the vid, it's as bad as it gets.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post