SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 230 231 232 233 234 235 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
In another example of why F1 cars need to get smaller, the highlights on the F2 feature race looked fantastic.

Posts: 4335 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I dont think Magnussen was at fault. I also get annoyed when the announcers spend an entire hour criticizing him when it was him getting squeezed into the wall.

It was great to see Leclerc win. That was awesome.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3612 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The stewards apparently agreed, but he put himself into an untenable position and paid the price. While fighting for 18th place Roll Eyes

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8774 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bit of shared fault, IMO.
Not the most ideal spot to attempt an overtake.
Would have to watch again & see if Perez squeezed him, or if Mag just ran out of room

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15553 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
The stewards apparently agreed, but he put himself into an untenable position and paid the price. While fighting for 18th place Roll Eyes

Add Alpine to that accusation too. Making a dive on your teammate at Portier on lap 1, not ideal.

Posts: 15553 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Now there's rumors about sitting Ocon down for a race. Either way with as terrible of a teammate he's been, I think he's done in F1 this year and I don't see him getting a chance in the WEC considering how he treats his team.

Posts: 4335 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I saw some headlines on that, but haven't had a chance to look into it.
Didn't realize he's been that hard to work with & ramping over Gasly may be what benches him. Not sure who they have in the wings to fill in, if needed.

And to think, he was rumored to take the seat vacated by Rosberg in 2017

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Back then he had the excuse of Sergio Perez being a terrible human and ride buyer. Now, after several years at Alpine, it doesn't look like an isolated incident.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Ocon/Alpine to part ways after 24 season

The idea of pairing him with Gasly didn’t seem very smart to everyone but the Renault management.
Then again, that’s not the worst thing they’ve done in the last twenty four months.
An all French team, what could go wrong?

Posts: 9659 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Perez got a 2yr extension at RBR.
A bit shocked about that. Wonder if it has a seat swap clause in it.

posted Hide Post
What are we hearing about the Mercedes spot? A buddy of mine said that Carlos Sainz may go to Williams to replace Logan. I wouldn't mind Sainz at Mercedes. My dream would be Bottas back at Mercedes, but I think he may be looking to be a professional cyclist. Tiffany Cromwell has him on lock.

Posts: 707 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm a Bottas fan, I think the Merc seat is a longshot for him, sadly. Unless they can't get Sainz and/or Antonelli isn't ready to move up.

I think Haas or Williams is more likely for VB, if he doesn't get retained by Sauber/Audi.

I wouldn't be opposed to him returning to MB, though.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Also, just found that SamsungTVPlus has an F1 channel.
We're out of town & staying with some friends, was looking for the Top Gear channel & found this one.

Currently watching the 1998 Canadian GP

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
2026 preliminary regs released today.
Posting from my phone, so can't link it from the F1 app.

Slightly shorter & narrower with slightly narrower tires
Active aero, x & z mode for drs-like on the straights & more cornering aero.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
https://racer.com/2024/06/06/f...2026-f1-regulations/

quote:
FIA unveils ‘nimble car’ details of 2026 F1 regulations
Chris Medland June 6, 2024 9:30 AM ET

The FIA has unveiled a major update in the 2026 Formula 1 technical regulations with a “nimble car” concept aimed at producing smaller, lighter machinery.

The power unit regulations for 2026 were confirmed two seasons ago and helped attract new manufacturers into the sport, but the actual technical regulations for the chassis and aerodynamics have remained a work in progress. That’s partly due to the FIA wanting to adapt them to the demands of the power units — featuring a nearly 50:50 split of internal combustion and electrical propulsion — and has led to a number of radical solutions.

The cars are intended to have a minimum weight some 30kg lighter than the current 798kg (1759 lbs), while a shorter wheelbase — down from 3600mm to 3400mm — and reduction in width by 100mm are also key components in what the FIA calls its “nimble car” concept. The width of the tires has also been reduced by 25mm at the front and 30mm at the rear.

Active aerodynamics will see both the front and rear wings changing from high downforce settings — known as Z-mode — for corners, to a low drag configuration — X-mode — for the straights. That’s to make more efficient use of the greater electrical energy from the power unit, with 350kw of power available from the battery and a reduction to around 400kw from the ICE that will be powered by a 100% sustainable fuel.

As the aerodynamics are set to be available to all drivers on every lap, in place of DRS the FIA is also introducing a “manual override” feature that will deliver maximum electrical energy deployment at higher speeds for a following car.

The FIA also says cars will feature a partially flat floor and lower-powered diffuser “which will reduce the ground effect and reduce the reliance of the cars on ultra-stiff and low setups.”

The new technical regulations are set to be ratified by the World Motor Sport Council on June 28, although teams are not allowed to work on aerodynamic development — with those rules still to be refined — until Jan. 1, 2025.

“Today, the FIA is defining a hugely exciting future for the pinnacle of motorsport with the launch of a comprehensive new set of regulations for the 2026 FIA Formula 1 championship and beyond,” FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem said. “Following the publication of 2026 power unit regulations two years ago we have taken the opportunity to redefine the chassis regulations to match the energy requirement of the new power units. Collaborating with our partners at Formula 1 and with the assistance of the sport’s 10 teams and all our stakeholders this represents a unique revision that will ensure our premier championship is even more relevant to what is happening in the world.

“The power unit regulations have already resulted in a record number of PU manufacturers committing to the sport. And now, in tandem with chassis regulations that provide for lighter, more agile cars featuring innovative aerodynamic solutions, we have created a set of regulations designed to not only improve racing but also to make the championship even more attractive to PU manufacturers, OEMs and existing competitors.

“The key features of the 2026 F1 regulations are advanced sustainability technology and safety. Our aim, together with Formula 1, was to produce a car that was right for the future of the sport’s elite category. We believe we have achieved that goal.”

F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali agrees with Ben Sulayem that all key stakeholders have worked well together on the new regulations, that will again see all teams designing new cars under a cost cap.

“These regulations mark a significant moment in the future of our sport as we look forward to a new generation of car and power unit that aims to give our fans closer and exciting racing,” Domenicali said.

“The new sustainably fueled hybrid power unit presents a huge opportunity for the global automotive industry — the drop in fuel has the potential to be used by cars around the world and dramatically cut emissions. Its potential is one of the key reasons why we will have a record number of engine suppliers in Formula 1 in 2026.

“We enter this new regulatory cycle with the sport in the strongest position it has ever been, and I am confident that the work done by the FIA to create these regulations will further strengthen the position of the sport around the world.”

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
This weekend the Sky Sports F1 team will joined by Jacques Villeneuve...

Terrific.
Maybe we can get Ralf for the German GP and sweet little Willie Buxton for the British and make it a 3-pack of wankers nobody wants to hear from.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12501 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I'll take Will Buxton over Ted Kravitz anytime as Will did his job much better on Speed Channel and NBC's F1 coverage.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed Buxton & liked Matchett's take as well, when it was NBCSN broadcast.
I don't mind Croft & Kravitz though.

Just keep Nico out of the booth. Didn't care for him as a drover nor as a commentator

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I used to like Will as well, he just comes across as more arrogant and smarmy in the little I've seen him lately. I could be wrong.

Speaking of Steve, if you're looking for a little dose of him he did a podcast for one year called Matchett and the Other Guy. Basically just a sit-down at his home in NC overlooking the lake talking with a friend about a different topic each episode, and comparing the experience in England vs. US on the topic, plus some of his racing and living in France history.

Enjoyable small bites.

Oh - I was wrong, it was actually 52 episodes. Fun, hate it ended.

Link to Apple version

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12501 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post