SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 239 240 241 242 243 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
KMag killed a few quali runs right at the flag Mad
Not sure Sauber had Q2 pace, but think VB could've been around 15-17

Lesmo 2 & Parabolica giving some drivers some difficulty as well.

SkyF1 seemed to think the pace potential is there to possibly beat the shortest full race time, if it's a clean race with no SC intervention. I think he said it's 1:14 & change [flag to flag] to beat.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15969 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, the Power of the One Stop rears its head again. Congrats is due to Ferrari, Chuckie and Italy, I suppose. Nice win. Funny how McLaren didn't enforce team orders to get more points for Norris; they must really love Oscar...or despise something about Lando.

-MG

Posts: 2204 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another pole wasted by Lando. I’m sure McLaren is more concerned with the Constructor’s title, although Oscar does seem to benefit more from their strategy.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8792 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
THe McLaren strategy is the weakest part of their game right now.
The car itself is strong due to all the updates working, unlike all the other teams that have had hit & miss upgrades. Something about the McLaren technical department that seems to have that part figured out or be unbelievably lucky.

The drivers are both quick and not inclined to make big mistakes but they need to establish an order at this part of the season. This race was lost in that first lap pass. Otherwise they could have had both cars in 1&2 and controlled things from there. The tire wear would have been much better being in front. They tried to fix things by pitting Lando first but it was only enough the get him in front of Charles and then they both ran the tires off the car trying to race each other. They probably thought they had enough in hand to pull it off anyway. At the least, they should have done a swap at the last turn.

Kmag out for the next race due to penalty points. Does Bearman get the call for that one?
Williams clearly made an upgrade ditching Sargent, even if he didn't get a point.

Posts: 9792 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
All I know is it has felt special to see LeClerc first win at Monaco, and now the Italian GP. What an incredible year for him.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3656 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Agreed - nice to see Ferrari win on home turf

Posts: 53776 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I have to think that Newey being out of the loop is hurting a lot more than Red Bull claim.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8537 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Williams clearly made an upgrade ditching Sargent, even if he didn't get a point.

And the bonus for Colapinto is that there's a 0% chance he's getting a F1 ride next year so he can get experience before going back to F2 as opposed to rushing Logan Sergeant to barely qualify for a Super License before he was ready and throwing him to the deep end.

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I get the idea behind McLaren strategy, but I don't think it makes any sense other than to coddle the driver who is behind but so overly sensitive that we must let him race even when putting the driver's championship at risk. Sure, the constructors is where the money is, but it's good for team and individual to win both; they both can't, and Piastri too far back due to early race form.

They could have controlled from the front in Monza, and even though the DIDN'T wreck doesn't mean that it wasn't very close, and that could have put constructors at risk from RB or Ferrari.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12665 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Yet Lando still can't stop choking during race starts which lead to everyone else driving past him.

Also in other news:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...ade-public/10650940/

quote:
Newey’s move to Aston Martin set to be made official
After strong rumours linking design legend Adrian Newey with Aston Martin, confirmation is now believed to be imminent

Adrian Newey’s move to the Aston Martin Formula 1 team looks set to be announced in the build-up to next week’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

Following months of speculation about the future of the legendary F1 designer, who announced earlier this year that he would be leaving Red Bull, final confirmation of his plans is likely to come before the next race.

While Newey was initially linked most strongly with the Ferrari team in the wake of his Red Bull exit, it quickly became clear that Aston Martin had overtaken it as a leading bidder to secure his services.

As well as team owner Lawrence Stroll doing some personal bidding to convince Newey to come onboard, a secret visit to Aston Martin’s Silverstone factory in June is understood to have played a major part in his decision to believe that the squad can give him what he needs.

Stroll has invested hugely in creating a state-of-the-art facility for the squad, and critically a new wind tunnel is due to be up and running soon, which will help in the team's long-term ambitions.

While Aston Martin has not commented on the situation, an announcement about Newey’s future had long been anticipated for this month – because of a clause in his Red Bull exit terms regarding when his future could be revealed.

As reported by Motorsport.com, sources indicated that a September date had been agreed for when he would be allowed to go public with what he was doing – which then would leave a six-month window before he could officially start work.

The likely imminent confirmation of Newey’s arrival comes amid a major recruitment drive by Aston Martin to secure the top engineering talent the squad thinks is needed to take on the best in F1.

Before the summer break, the outfit announced that former Mercedes engine boss Andy Cowell would be joining it as Group CEO in October, replacing Martin Whitmarsh.

Furthermore, Aston has signed former Ferrari chassis technical director Enrico Cardile to help boost its design strengths.

With the team already having a technical director in place in Dan Fallows, who used to work with Newey at Red Bull, there have been questions asked about how easy it would be to create a coherent structure that involved all its star talent.

But speaking at the recent Dutch Grand Prix, Aston Martin team boss Mike Krack said it would not be a big issue to resolve.

“I think Formula 1 these days is so broad,” he said. “It is not like you have to make huge changes.

“I think there was a time where there was a team that had seven technical directors in the past, so I think we are very far from that. I think someone like that, you have to make any kind of effort to integrate and adjust your structure to get the best out of it.”

While Newey’s likely arrival at Aston Martin will be a huge boost to the team's long-term ambitions, with the Briton having won titles at Williams, McLaren and Red Bull, current driver Fernando Alonso thinks it will take time for his impact to be felt.

Asked at the Italian Grand Prix about the looming confirmation, Alonso said: “Well, still only rumours. And I think it's not only [a] one-man job to fix the things.

“So it's more what we have now and what we are producing; understand what is going in the right direction, what is going on the wrong direction and try to prepare 2025 in a better way.”

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Yet Lando still can't stop choking during race starts which lead to everyone else driving past him.

Lando got the start right at Monza and seemed to let his guard down, not expecting any attack from Oscar.

I'm seeing an opinion gaining traction, Lando and Oscar are well matched for speed but Oscar is the better racer (shades of Damon Hill, Lando). Then there's Lando's sour attitude when things don't go his way, not gaining him fans. He's just the kind of guy who may be convincing himself he's lost the team's support.

I heard a passing mention of Oscar having a stress fractured rib. Busted ribs take a long time to heal, they hurt and the forces on a rib in a race must be difficult to ignore.

I've seen so little about that, if true, a big deal. His form has been somewhat diminished the last few races, maybe so.

A healthy Oscar would be a handful. Nothing against him but few drivers have less charisma than Oscar Pistorius.

Posts: 8537 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Newey’s move to Aston Martin set to be made official

Now how long does Lawrence give Lance to get results?

I am not going to bash Lance. He's a decent driver. Much better than some we have seen come and go over the last 3-4 years. But he isn't of the caliber of either driver for Mercedes, Ferrari or McLaren, or Verstappen or Alonso.

If Lawrence truly wants Aston to win a championship, I cannot see Lance being the driver to do it.

Posts: 2348 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Seems the MCL boys are the closest matched on the grid.
At this rate, the WCC seems likely to fall to McLaren.
Not sure anyone dethrones Max for WDC though.

Posts: 15969 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Finally, Newey to Aston Martin announced.
How quickly can they turn the ship. Soon enough to get Fernando a winner before he retires?

https://www.planetf1.com/featu...adrian-newey-arrival

Posts: 9792 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Finally, Newey to Aston Martin announced.
How quickly can they turn the ship. Soon enough to get Fernando a winner before he retires?

https://www.planetf1.com/featu...adrian-newey-arrival

Guess it depends on how much they've done on the 25 car & how much AN has input on it.
Maybe for 26, when he's able to be more involved in the development, if Alonso is still in it at 44(?)

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Was watching Weekend Warmup segment this week, and was shocked at how much Martin's son sounds JUST like him. That was weird.

Opening chat at about 0:50 is enough to get it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12665 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Was watching Weekend Warmup segment this week, and was shocked at how much Martin's son sounds JUST like him. That was weird.

I usually switch the SkyF1 [Int'l] feed, but have caught Alex a few times, sounds very much like Martin.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Colapinto is 2/2 in crashes this week. That's not a competition he wants to be in with Logan Sergeant.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't want to give up the surprise to anyone that hasn't seen it yet but will say this was a race for the ages.
Go watch this if you can watch a replay.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
***SPOILER***
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Mad
Such an unfitting end to a great great race.
There should have been no crash because Sainz should never tried to pass LeClerc. It opened him up to a Perez move. Charles earned at least a second and the red cars were on track for a really helpful 2-3 finish. I guess Carlos has no more allegiance to the team but I've always admired his smart racing. Not today, bad blood for future races.