SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 237 238 239 240 241 242 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Peter Windsor is in my bucket-o-pricks for reporters in F1, but it was interesting the headline about him reporting someone on grid now testing for WRC. Seems like VB the likeliest, but like others I think he'll find that a far leap!

Kimi was no slouch, and struggled.

Couthard; they make F1 drivers look like amateurs.

I'm a VB fan, so I hope he keeps his seat in F1.
But a WRC switch wouldn't be out of the cards for him. I believe he's done well in the lower divisions he's competed in.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15966 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
F1 drivers and teams receive firm warning after FIA investigation into online abuse

Oh come on. They've made this some vague as to ensure it turns into a shitshow when someone gets hurt in the feels by comments about a call they make.

This is as stupid as saying NCAA coaches can't be critical of shitty calls during a game. Sometimes, it's just a bad call, everyone sees it, we can discuss it.

All of that is different than calling out an individual, his family and lineage and making suggestions to go let them know how bad a job they did. The "bullies" are the ones being assholes, not the ones who note the failure or questionable calls under sporting regs.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12661 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm more than ready to start the second half of the season.
There are only so many rumor of the hour stories to follow (or not) and the biggest one seems to be where does Newey go. Or does he surprise everyone and call it a day?

Otherwise, who do you think will win the second half of the season, if it was scored that way?
Probably a lot more opinions than back in January, or even April.
Hard to believe that Max still won't be the overall winner with the points advantage he's built but the individual races are starting to get more unpredictable.

Posts: 9790 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
McLaren would be my leading guess for putting the fight to RBR, with Mercedes bringing up 3rd.
Lando & Oscar are both putting up result, where it's much more 1-sided at RBR.

Posts: 15966 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Very much agreed, unless Checo suddenly gets on with it again, I think McLaren overtake them well before end of season.

Drivers is a bit harder, with 3-5 drivers seemingly scrapping for the points that Max doesn't get.

It always seems like the summer break is nearly as long as winter. Know that's not true, but maybe I have other distractions in bowl season, etc.

Posts: 12661 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yep, I think RBR is going to have some real threat for the WCC [and the $$$] if Perez doesn't up his race day performance. With both McLarens and both Mercedes, and the occasional Ferrari mixing it up near/at the front, it could be a very entertaining 2nd half.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Finally, back to a week of driving instead of talking-season!

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
To celebrate the end of the summer silly season and getting back to racing:

Lauda and the 1985 Dutch GP

sorry guys, F1 doesn't allow their videos to be embedded.

Also, James Hunt in 1975.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3656 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bonno not following LH to Ferrari

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...W9kT5jqft902W2ZMbbBX

quote:
Lewis Hamilton’s race engineer Pete Bonnington has committed his future to Mercedes after securing a promotion to Head of Race Engineering.

Bonnington has worked with Hamilton since the seven-time world champion joined the team in 2013, the duo winning six world titles together.

When Hamilton announced he would be joining Ferrari next season, it remained unclear whether Bonnington – often referred to as Bono – would follow or stay with Mercedes.

However, ahead of this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix, a Mercedes spokesperson confirmed to Formula1.com that Bonnington will assume his new role with immediate effect. Bono will dovetail that role with continuing to race engineer Hamilton for the remainder of the season.

He will then continue to race engineer one driver next year, though it remains unclear whether that will be George Russell or Hamilton’s replacement. Mercedes protégé and F2 racer Kimi Antonelli is favourite to get the nod.

It is a similar arrangement to what Red Bull have, with Gianpiero Lambiase working as Head of Race Engineering while also continuing to race engineer reigning world champion Max Verstappen.

Bonnington’s new arrangement continues a stint with the squad that began when they were Honda and continued when they became BrawnGP and then Mercedes.

During that time, he’s worked with the likes of world champions Michael Schumacher and Jenson Button and built up a wealth of experience trackside.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Good for Bono, and thanks for posting that. He does have a wealth of experience and will likely be able to offer improvements to overall race planning instead of limiting him to one driver. I know they are technically in collaboration team wide, but it seems like this new role is like the controller for the overall enterprise on that side of equation.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, unlike GP for RBR, Bono should be able to have a more umbrella role, vs being limited to 1 driver.
IIRC, GP has a similar title, but also is Max's race engineer

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'm curious if Head of Race Engineering is synonymous with Chief of Race Strategy (Bernie Collins' prior role with Aston).

She isn't as dramatic as some of the other Sky team thankfully, but we have really enjoyed her and her insights joining the broadcast last year and this.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I'm curious if Head of Race Engineering is synonymous with Chief of Race Strategy (Bernie Collins' prior role with Aston).

She isn't as dramatic as some of the other Sky team thankfully, but we have really enjoyed her and her insights joining the broadcast last year and this.

Yeah, I like Bernie & her insights in the commentary.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Yeah, unlike GP for RBR, Bono should be able to have a more umbrella role, vs being limited to 1 driver.
IIRC, GP has a similar title, but also is Max's race engineer

The article I read today used the example of GP as exactly what Bono’s job will be like.
In other words, he’ll be in overall control of the race engineering and also the race engineer for Lewis’ replacement.
Probably not that much different from what he did before but with some more money and a title to he lock him down.

Posts: 9790 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I guess the YT overlords were monitoring my thoughts, since after just discussing Bernie this came up in my feed.

Interview with her recently, and it's really good. Again, I like her polite but no BS approach to everything, including some of the questions.

What it's like being an F1 strategist - Exclusive interview with Bernie Collins

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Quite the shunt by Sargent in FP3, not often you get an 'action cam' shot like we did for that one.

The GR radio made me laugh a bit.
Engineer: He's OK
GR: Yeah, but the cars on fire, he needs to get out
Engineer: Watch out for the tire rolling on the track
Confused

A bit like GR going off in Australia & calling for a red flag with the car half on its side.

posted Hide Post
Watched the FP3 highlights on F1's YT channel; that was indeed a brutal hit by Sargent. Plenty of off-road adventures by others as well. Saw that Mad Max performed a pass on pit lane; would've thought F1 might say something about that but there was no further commentary in the recap video. Qualifying should be interesting.

-MG

Posts: 2203 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The Williams team, and especially the mechanics, must be counting down the days before this nightmare ends.

He's clearly out of his depth and he tries to overdrive the car to compensate.
Not unlike what Mick Schumacher did, with similar results.

In this case, and earlier this season, it appears he's simply not looking at the road and does a very basic mistake.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Re: Pit lane pass
I think as long as you're not within the begin/end bounds of the actual pit lane, passing is permitted.
Vettel did it on entry in China years ago, got it done before the pit entry line.
I'd assume the same follows, as long as you're past the pit exit line & you don't cross any designated 'you shall not cross' lines.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
In other news:

https://racer.com/2024/08/26/h...fter-uralkali-drama/

quote:
Haas trucks cleared to leave for Monza after Uralkali drama
Chris Medland August 26, 2024 9:57 AM ET

Haas has confirmed its trucks have been given clearance to leave the Netherlands after the Dutch Grand Prix and head to Monza.

Former title sponsor Uralkali was awaiting the return of money it had paid to the team in early 2022, prior to Russia’s invasion of the Ukraine that led to Haas terminating the contract. While the end of the deal was deemed legal by a Swiss tribunal in June, it also ordered Haas to pay back the funds it had received in advance.

With that return payment not being received by Uralkali for more than two months, the Russian company initiated proceedings at Zandvoort by sending in bailiffs that itemized Haas’ inventory and could stop it from leaving the country until it had received the outstanding amount.

Haas made the payment on Friday having “been working with its lawyers to ensure payment will comply with all relevant U.S., EU, UK and Swiss sanctions laws and regulations”, but as of Sunday had not yet received acknowledgement of the transaction from Uralkali, and so its trucks did not depart the Netherlands after Sunday’s race.

On Monday morning, a team spokesperson stated the situation has been resolved and the team’s equipment can head to Monza.

“Uralkali have now confirmed receipt of last Friday’s financial transfer and therefore our trucks have been given clearance to depart the Netherlands and make their way to Italy immediately,” the spokesperson said.

RACER understands the team does not envisage any impact or delays on its preparations for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix, with track action starting around 700 miles away in northern Italy on Friday.

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post