SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 238 239 240 241 242 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Just watched the Dutch GP this evening (Monday). I thought it was a snoozer, and found myself skipping ahead repeatedly. Can I assume that I’m not the only one who has real difficulty understanding the Irish woman who does commentary from time-to-time? I find myself straining to make out what she’s saying. They keep using her, so I guess most people watching the telecast can understand her just fine.

Posts: 13556 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Subtitles Wink

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8792 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bernie Collins, I find her insights pretty good & I must just be good with some accents because I don't find her hard to understand at all.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15966 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yeah, not particularly exciting but that track never was going to be a good one for these cars. Nice to see Lando continuing to perform, a little weird Oscar was so off pace.

Of course Jos continuing to show his ass in the wake of that weekend. I think he may have a higher opinion of himself than warranted, absent the superstar son.

And for Bernie, I'll take the difficulty of translating their version of English in my head to have someone other than more of the other talking heads on Sky delivering comments and insight from an experienced perspective instead of just a sideline reporter's.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12661 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Williams Racing announces that Franco Colapinto will race with the team for the remainder of the 2024 FIA Formula 1 World Championship season

Williams Racing announces that Franco Colapinto will race with the team for the remainder of the 2024 FIA Formula 1 World Championship season and will compete from the Italian Grand Prix alongside Alex Albon. He will use the race number #43.
Franco is a member of the Williams Racing Driver Academy and made his FP1 debut in this year’s FW46 at the British Grand Prix. His F2 campaign this year has seen him secure a race win in Imola and podiums in the Barcelona and Austria Feature races, as well as seven further points-scoring outings.
The 21-year-old will become the 49th Grand Prix driver for Williams Racing*, is the first Argentine driver in F1 for 23 years and the second Argentine to drive for the British outfit, following his countryman Carlos Reutemann.
The team would like to take the opportunity to thank Logan Sargeant for his hard work and contribution over the past two seasons. He has competed in 36 Grands Prix and, at the US GP last year, became the first American driver to score an F1 point since Michael Andretti 30 years prior. Logan will remain in the Williams family and we will support him to continue his racing career.
Franco Colapinto:
“It is an honour to be making my Formula 1 debut with Williams – this is what dreams are made of.
"The team has such amazing history and a mission to get back to the front which I can’t wait to be part of.
"Coming into F1 mid-season will be an enormous learning curve but I am up for the challenge, and I’m fully focused on working as hard as I can with Alex and the team to make it a success.”
James Vowles, Team Principal:
“To replace a driver mid-season is not a decision we have taken lightly, but we believe this gives Williams the best chance to compete for points over the remainder of the season.
"We have just brought a large upgrade to the car and need to maximise every points-scoring opportunity in a remarkably tight midfield battle.
"We also believe in investing in our young drivers in the Williams Racing Driver Academy, and Franco is getting a fantastic opportunity to demonstrate what he is capable of across the final nine rounds of the season.
"This is undoubtedly incredibly tough on Logan, who has given his all throughout his time with Williams, and we want to thank him for all his hard work and positive attitude.
"Logan remains a talented driver and we will support him to continue his racing career for the future. I know that Franco has great speed and huge potential, and we look forward to seeing what he can do in Formula 1.”
*based on points -scoring F1 race competitors since the formation of Williams in 1977 as an F1 Constructor.
Link

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3656 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem I have understanding Bernie Collins is that they need to turn up her mic a bit. Her volume is lower than the others and that makes it harder for me to get through her accent. Say what you want about Crofty, but I never have any problem hearing and understanding him.

Posts: 3407 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Good for Colapinto, we'll see how he does.

But, this seems a bit of a slap on Antonelli, who seems to be thought as taking either the Williams or Mercedes seat for 2025.
Toto also said [IIRC] that Mick really should get another shot, in the Williams.

Posts: 15966 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Yeah, all indications had been Kimi Antonelli would get his F1 feet wet at Williams this year. Probably has something to do with Lew's 2025 Merc seat being available, politics and playing one's card close to the vest.

A rock and a hard place for Williams. With two USA races left, Logan had to present a problem.

And Bernie Collins, yes, hard to gather what she says. Heavy accent, kinda mumbles and not all that assertive. She may know what she's talking about but needs to be forceful. TBH Karun Chandhok's technical commentary may be the most useful.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8532 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Kimi Antonelli is getting his FP1 ride at Monza with Mercedes.

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Kimi Antonelli is getting his FP1 ride at Monza with Mercedes.

FP1 sure.
Colapinto is getting a race seat for the remainder of the season. Seems a much more useful experience over a few FP1 sessions.

Edit: bit more insight on the swap

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...9FpK122kaYg3Pj4fdnAK

Williams wanted Lawson, but RBR didn't want to give him up. Mick wasn't a contender.
Nothing in there about Antonelli being in the running for it.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Colapinto is also in the Williams Junior Program that has depressingly produced Nicholas Latifi and Logan Sergeant. This could end up being a test to see if their program is worth wasting money on.

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw that Haas got held up in leaving for Monza due to some debt collectors showing up at Zandvoort after the Dutch GP. Something about monies owed and unpaid after Haas cancelled their sponsorship deal from a company out of Russia. Rather embarrassing and poorly timed, especially considering the recent termination of Stewart-Haas' NASCAR operations. Does make one wonder if Gene Haas has enough financial resources to keep his F1 operation afloat.

-MG

Posts: 2203 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I put up the story on the last page. It all stems back to Haas keeping Dimitri Mazepin's money after Russia invaded Ukraine. There was a settlement between the two and Haas missed the payment, so Uralkali demanded the cars be impounded after the race until confirmation of the first payment was made.

Everything's clear and on its way to Monza, unlike Logan Sergeant.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Saw that Haas got held up in leaving for Monza due to some debt collectors showing up at Zandvoort after the Dutch GP. Something about monies owed and unpaid after Haas cancelled their sponsorship deal from a company out of Russia. Rather embarrassing and poorly timed, especially considering the recent termination of Stewart-Haas' NASCAR operations. Does make one wonder if Gene Haas has enough financial resources to keep his F1 operation afloat.

Maybe this is how Andretti gets in the door?

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Nothing in there about Antonelli being in the running for it.

Aiden Millward's video reminded me of a few things. One of them is Toto wants Antonelli to finish the entire F2 season before putting him in a F1 car, and Vowels also doesn't want other team's test drivers on loan.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I put up the story on the last page. It all stems back to Haas keeping Dimitri Mazepin's money after Russia invaded Ukraine. There was a settlement between the two and Haas missed the payment, so Uralkali demanded the cars be impounded after the race until confirmation of the first payment was made.

Everything's clear and on its way to Monza, unlike Logan Sergeant.

Thanks for the details. Missed that post, I did.

-MG

Posts: 2203 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Monza FP1: Good to see Sauber having some pace. VB77 topped the board for a bit, hope that follow through to Sunday.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
A nice explanation from James Vowles on his driver change:

https://racer.com/2024/08/30/v...r-lawson-schumacher/

quote:
Vowles explains Sargeant call and Colapinto choice over Lawson, Schumacher
Chris Medland August 30, 2024 1:58 PM ET

Williams team principal James Vowles says he was convinced Logan Sargeant had reached the limit of his performance and revealed what led him to pick Franco Colapinto over more experienced options to replace the American.

Sargeant was dropped after last Sunday’s race in Zandvoort, with rookie Colapinto taking over from this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix onwards. The change came after months of speculation regarding Sargeant’s future and a heavy crash in practice, and Vowles says it was a move he didn’t want to make but felt he had to as he didn’t see any further potential progression on the cards.

“If you speak to every team principal up and down the pit lane, no one wants to change a driver mid-season,” Vowles said. “It’s horrible. It is incredibly tough on the driver, it’s tough on the team, it is disruptive to say the least. The cleanest point to have done it would have been at the beginning of the year.

“Logan at the end of last year was starting to get within a tenth of Alex [Albon] and if that progression continued I think we would have seen a driver in a very strong place this year, and it didn’t feel like the right point to sever ties as a result of it.

“The reason now is straightforward — we’ve had enough experience under our belt to know he’s reached the limit of what he’s able to achieve, and in fact it’s almost unfair on him furthermore to continue with him. If you look at his face when he gets out of the car, he’s given you everything he possibly can, and it’s not enough.

“He absolutely never from a human perspective gave me anything other than 100% of what he’s able to do, but the realization of where he is on his limits now is very clear; it’s clear to everyone, and more than that, the relationship can only become more and more difficult across the last nine races because he knows what his future holds, which is not to be in F1 anymore.

“Actually a clean break at this stage feels like the correct decision for all parties. It feels like it’s fair to Logan — he won’t feel that way today, but I hope he reflects on it in the future that it is fair towards him in that regard.

“Changing between back-to-back races really is an awful thing to do, which hopefully shows you where we are in this. And to be very clear to everyone it wasn’t just based on an accident, it was based on in the race he had all of the parts that Alex had available to him, but the performance wasn’t there, he was lacking in that area, and the gap’s almost as big as it was last year.”

Colapinto was a surprising choice given his lack of experience, with the Argentinian competing in his first season of Formula 2 this year but now stepping up for the final nine races. Vowles says he informed Sargeant of the decision on Tuesday and while he had two more experienced options he didn’t see Mick Schumacher as a strong enough candidate to pick over a Williams Driver Academy member.

“There were three options on the table — one was Liam Lawson, one was Mick, and one was Franco,” Vowles said. “With Liam the contractual situation with Red Bull wouldn’t have worked with me here at Williams. And then it’s a tough choice, it really is. Mick has improved a lot from where he was with Haas, there’s no doubt about it. He’s a competent driver that I know he had his time, but he has done incredible work with Alpine, with Mercedes, and with McLaren in the meantime, and all advocates will speak with you and tell you where he’s adapted and where he’s changed.

“So now the decision is do we put Mick in the car — and I think Mick would have done a good job — or do we invest in an individual that’s a part of our academy, that’s done hundreds of thousands of laps in the simulator, that’s driven our car –the only driver to do so this year in FP1 — and on the data from what we can see and how he’s performing, he’s making significant steps.

“So it becomes a decision, do we invest in the future or do we invest in someone else as a result of it? Both will fall into a category of good, not special, I think we have to be straightforward about this: Mick isn’t special, he just would have been good.”

So far, so good: Franco Colapinto was only 0.192s slower than new Williams teammate Alex Albon in the second practice session at Monza. Simon Galloway/Motorsport Images
Vowles emphasized Colapinto’s place in the team’s academy was key.

“He [Schumacher] would have come with a lot more experience than Franco does, but here’s what I and Williams believe in, the core values: Williams has always invested in new generations of driver and youth, and what I’ve been speaking about all the way through is the future of Williams, and the future of Williams isn’t in investing in the past, it’s investing in talent that allows us to move forward as individuals.

“It’s investing in an academy — you’ll see announcements in the next six weeks or so how we’re filling up that academy — and the amount of finance we’re putting into it, and when you’re putting that amount of finance into your academy you’ve got to put your actions where your words are as well.

“I myself 25 years ago was junior and someone trusted in me and believed in me and invested in me. Franco’s ahead in the F2 championship of [Kimi] Antonelli, he’s ahead of [Oliver] Bearman, and he’s with MP, which with all due respect to MP it’s not Prema or ART, and he’s doing a good job of building up into it.

“Do I think we’ve put someone into the deep end of the swimming pool? Absolutely, 100%, but if you listen to Franco’s own words you’ll hear that he’s up for it, and he knows what’s in front of him, and he’s ready for the challenge.

“So answering your question, I want to demonstrate to the world that investing in a driver that I hope will become a very successful reserve driver for us, simulator driver for us — and other aspects depending on how he performs — is investing in the future of Williams.”

posted Hide Post
Red Bull looked sketchy in P2, really BAD in P3. As if they're seriously missing Newey, perhaps? Norris is clearly on a high right now.

-MG

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Voles was using his best diplomatic skills but what he said about Mick was true, if a bit direct.
I guess he didn’t want to get the Germans in the crowd, and at Mercedes, pissed.
I hope there will be a higher degradation level tomorrow so the racing is good. The speeds are so close.

Posts: 9790 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post