SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 243
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
McLaren seem to have no confidence in their strategy calls so they leave the final decision up to Lando.
Similar to what happened in Sochi a few years ago.
They had saved medium tires for the last stop, mentioned that earlier in the race but didn’t have the confidence to make the call themselves.
The failure to double stack on the first stop put Oscar out of contention too.

Posts: 9792 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been many years since I followed F1, and I was amazed to see Intermediates shred rubber so fast that I could watch it happen.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9365 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
That was perhaps the best race of the year and although I’m not a Hamilton fan I was happy for this win. He deserved it.

I also appreciated the clean racing between Max and Lando, unlike last week.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6462 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
McLaren seem to have no confidence in their strategy calls so they leave the final decision up to Lando.
Similar to what happened in Sochi a few years ago.
They had saved medium tires for the last stop, mentioned that earlier in the race but didn’t have the confidence to make the call themselves.
The failure to double stack on the first stop put Oscar out of contention too.

Was it Lando’s call to go onto softs for the final stint? That seemed to be a pit wall decision to me. Earlier in the race, when swapping to intermediate from the starting tire, letting the driver make the call is the right thing to do. The driver can tell far better where the track is wet enough or too dry for inters. A number of teams left it to their drivers. I heard a number of radio calls from the guys up front telling their teams it wasn’t time to swap to inters.

Posts: 3407 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
That was perhaps the best race of the year and although I’m not a Hamilton fan I was happy for this win. He deserved it.

Agree completely, one of the better races I’ve seen in 3 years. Would have loved seeing George Russell go from pole to winner… rather than Hamilton.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1630 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
That seemed to be a pit wall decision to me.

Yes, exactly. They did ask him as he was about to come in, which set he wanted. They should have simply made that call themselves.
There's a time to let the driver make the call-when he has the essential information the pit wall does not.
In other cases there are too many other calculations and info that the driver doesn't have to make that call, especially while trying to drive the car. Like that last stop, so the strategy folks are supposed to make that one, not the driver.
The fact they made several mentions of the extra set of mediums, and even the TV commentators mentioned that, showed that those that could see the big picture knew the red's were very marginal.
The surprise was Max on the hard tires, but apparently that's the only other tires they had available when they had decided the soft's wouldn't hold up. Seemed to work well, in any case.

Posts: 9792 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I couldn't figure how the team could accommodate Lando with his preferred tire with him so close to the pits. BTW didn't Hamilton ask him in the cool down room why he didn't go with the mediums? Three races in a row that Lando could have won, he was absolutely devastated post-race.

A lot of pieces had to fall in place for Hammy to win, a win produce by chaos as much as anything. Considering his drought, Hammy's joy was pretty moving.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8538 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

Agree completely, one of the better races I’ve seen in 3 years. Would have loved seeing George Russell go from pole to winner… rather than Hamilton.

Definitely bummed for George, he was having a good run.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15970 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I think that was the best race I have seen since 2021.

Posts: 2348 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just learned that Rolex is being replaced by LVMH. Adrian Barker (Bark and Jack) says it is immediate and Silverstone was the last race for Rolex.

Posts: 796 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
I just learned that Rolex is being replaced by LVMH. Adrian Barker (Bark and Jack) says it is immediate and Silverstone was the last race for Rolex.

Eek
That's pretty shocking. How long has Rolex been the official timekeeper?
I know it was still Longines/Olivetti in the early 90s

Edit: Rolex since 2013. I started watching again in 2014.
Looks like Tag Heuer or Hublot could he the replacement, but the article I read said starting with the 2025 season, not immediate effect.

Posts: 15970 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adrian may have it wrong about exactly when, but it is happening. I’m new to F1, probably 2018 or so. I’ve only ever known Rolex as the sponsor.
I think LVMH made a smart move The Tag Heuer brand is nothing like it was in the 1990s. They need a brand reboot.

Posts: 796 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Small wonder that Rolex is out, considering that LVMH is willing to pay 3 times what Rolex was paying to F1 per year to be the "official timepiece of Formula One." Roll Eyes

Big whoop. A bunch of rich corporations that cater to the ultra-wealthy, tossing around their money like it actually is going to make one bit of difference to the average F1 fan.

-MG

Posts: 2204 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
And since we missed this:

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I remember Heuer being a sponsor of Ferrari back in the 70's and seeing a lot of banners. That was an era when the money was much smaller but the TAG in front of Heuer can certainly write the big check.
They've been involved with McLaren, Red Bull and others since then.
Owned by one of the richest guys in the world and part of LVMH.
https://www.chrono24.com/magaz...d-tag-heuer-p_59097/

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
And since we missed this:

Guessing it'll be predictable, but should be a fun watch.
I remember them filming during one of the race weekends last season.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
KMag out at Haas at end of 24 season

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes
Think Norris deserved the win. To let off that much to swap was a bit ridiculous, especially with him consistently increasing the gap.
Different scenario to the "Valtteri, it's James" call. IIRC, the Mercs were much closer & holding when that call came in.

Max is a lucky boy, that could've gone much worse.

Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
It really was a great race, save for Max having his on track tantrum. Nice to see Lewis take his 200th podium.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1592 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Good race, lots of tactical info to process in addition to the race itself.
I’m sure Lewis got a good chuckle when Max launched but Max was very lucky to not have major damage.
The real screw up McLaren made was caused by the timing of the second pit stop. They could have done Oscars first, he should have had the choice as leading driver, and this never would have been an issue. There would have been much less drama having Lando hold station if he had caught up than the way it happened.