SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 232 233 234 235
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Found an interesting "Alternate" Monaco race track made by a SIM racer. It looks interesting, but the parked cars and bicycles would probably have to go.

Posts: 4335 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Finally watching the Canadian GP. I don't think I can ever recall DRS being enabled on wet tires.
Definitely fun watching the Haas pair on Ex Wets at the start, they were flying.

Best race of the season, IMO, if not the last 2 seasons. Good scraps all the way through.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15553 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, it was a decent race even though the usual narrative of MV being relatively comfortably ahead at the finish was the storyline for the top step of the podium. M-B showed good speed and perhaps this will bode well in upcoming races. McLaren again was fast. But Ferrari...double DNFs. Really didn't anticipate that happening, despite their poor qualifying efforts leading up to the race.

-MG

Posts: 2081 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Here's another reason to take Alpine less serious, but remember, the sport only "needs" 10 teams...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935&m=4930026714

quote:
Alpine could abandon Renault engines and become F1 customer team in 2026
French manufacturer in talks with rivals about customer engine deals amid suggestions it could abandon Renault works unit

Jonathan Noble | Jun 17, 2024 at 9:51 AM

Alpine is considering abandoning its works Renault engine in Formula 1 from 2026 and has opened talks with rival manufacturers about the possibility of securing a customer deal instead.
As part of an evaluation of its F1 project prompted by a difficult start to the current campaign, it has emerged that senior Renault and Alpine management have left no stone unturned in working out what is needed to improve its situation.

With its current Renault power unit down on performance compared to rivals, and no certainty it will get things right for the next generation turbo hybrids coming in 2026, it has questioned whether the huge investment needed to produce its own engine is essential.

It is understood that a plan is now being evaluated for Renault to potentially abandon work on its 2026 power unit and instead shift Alpine to become a customer team.

Sources have revealed that Alpine team principal Bruno Famin has been pondering the situation over recent weeks, and has held talks with rival manufacturers to see what the alternative options could be.

The most logical solution to avoid a potential manufacturer clash issue for Renault would be to take a supply of customer engines from Red Bull, which will have its own power units from 2026.

However, despite talks with the team, it is thought that the chances of a Red Bull deal are unlikely because of the logistical complications that the Milton Keynes-based team would face in supplying a third team alongside itself and sister squad RB for its debut campaign in 2026.

Speaking last year about the possibility of a customer deal, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said: "I think we need to establish ourselves first. We don't want to overstretch ourselves.

"I think already supplying two teams in '26, that is probably even slightly beyond optimum in year one, but it just gives us the capacity and capability for further down the line. So I think first of all, we need to firmly establish ourselves and then we have the capability to take more on from there."

If the Red Bull route does not happen, then the most likely other option would be Mercedes, which has a supply deal freed up for 2026 thanks to Aston Martin's switch to Honda.

Customer deals with Aston Martin and McLaren have already shown the German car manufacturer is not afraid to supply other automotive companies with power units, as it does not see any wider commercial downside to its F1 deals.

If Alpine does decide to go down the customer engine route, and cannot reach its own agreement with another manufacturer, then F1's regulations detail how one of the sport's current engine suppliers would be called upon to supply it so it is not left without a power unit.

That would likely end up in Honda being requested to provide an engine, as it is the only existing manufacturer that does not have plans for a second customer team in 2026.

Renault commitment

While Alpine's engine situation appears fluid right now, it comes with Renault CEO Luca de Meo making it clear recently that he was committed to the future of Alpine in F1, despite interest from potential buyers.

Speaking to Autocar, he said: "It's not my style. We will not sell even a part of this thing. We don't need the money. I've had people making offers left and right, then talking in the press about it. But we're not interested. It would be stupid, and I won't do it."

In the lengthy interview, he did cite, however, that Renault had never successfully got on top of the turbo hybrid engine rules – which had cost it performance throughout the current regulation cycle.

"When we began the hybrid era [in 2014], our engine didn't perform," he said. "We had been world champions with Red Bull but with hybrid, things went wrong.

"Even the engine we developed in 2021 had a 0.2s to 0.5s disadvantage every lap. And this year we've screwed up with the car. If you combine everything, we're up to 1.5s from where we need to be."

As well as the switch of engines meaning Alpine could secure power units that are cheaper and potentially more competitive, a move to become a customer team would also make the team potentially easier to sell in the future as the squad would not have the legacy element of its Viry-Chatillon engine department involved as part of its F1 effort anymore.

Viry, which is Renault Sport Racing's headquarters near Paris, has designed and produced the French manufacturer's F1 engines since the 1970s.

And while a move away from involvement in grand prix racing would mark a dramatic shift in its focus, there is still plenty of other motorsport activity it could be involved in.

This includes helping develop the power unit for its WEC Hypercar, which currently runs a modified Mecachrome F2 engine with a spec hybrid system.

Alpine declined to comment on the situation when contacted by Motorsport.com.

Posts: 4335 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Alpine = Owned by Renault, IIRC.
Definitely seems odd that a 'works' team wouldn't use an engine from their marque...

Posts: 15553 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The most logical solution to avoid a potential manufacturer clash issue for Renault would be to take a supply of customer engines from Red Bull, which will have its own power units from 2026.

Also seems odd that an entity with Nissan ties using hand-me-down Honda engines.

-MG

Posts: 2081 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Nissan has pretty much been a French run organization for a while now. It's like how SIG Sauer is American instead of German.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
quote:

Also seems odd that an entity with Nissan ties using hand-me-down Honda engines.

Isn't RBR going to Ford in 26 & Honda going to AMR? Or has that changed?

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Isn't RBR going to Ford in 26 & Honda going to AMR? Or has that changed?

That’s right.
The irony here is that when Honda decided to get out a few years ago, they handed the keys of their engine program to Red Bull which has become Red Bull Powertrains and soon to be Ford.
The Honda corporate big whigs soon after did an about face and decided to re-enter and will be going up against many of their former colleagues as suppliers to Aston Martin.

Posts: 9659 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
0.020 gap for pole. Good lap & good to see some real competition shaping up at the front.

And Perez starting outside the top 10 after applying his penalty from Canada. If he doesn't start improving, that 1+1 extension may turn into just a 1.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
He shouldn't have got an extension in the first place. I have a feeling that Catalunya is going to be another boring round. This is a track that can lose it's date and I won't feel sad.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
He shouldn't have got an extension in the first place. I have a feeling that Catalunya is going to be another boring round. This is a track that can lose it's date and I won't feel sad.

Other than it being an extremely familiar circuit for all the drivers, I'd agree.
If quali is any indication, maybe we'll have a good run at the front. Aston pace was a bit shocking, they're being slowly left behind by the front runners, it seems.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The temps are supposed to go down tomorrow as weather comes in before the race.
70% chance of showers before the race but close to zero during. That still could have a big effect on the track surface and pit stop strategy.
I think this was the race Fernando won years ago with 4 pit stops since the tire degradation is so high and a short pit lane.

Posts: 9659 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
0.020 gap for pole. Good lap & good to see some real competition shaping up at the front.

And Perez starting outside the top 10 after applying his penalty from Canada. If he doesn't start improving, that 1+1 extension may turn into just a 1.

You have to bear in mind that he has the three place grid penalty because the team instructed him to "drive in an unsafe manner" back to the pit instead of parking it...to avoid a Safety Car which would have compromised Max's race.

Then because he was already getting the penalty, they had him compromise his Q3 run to give Max a tow for the Pole

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14218 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Aston pace was a bit shocking, they're being slowly left behind by the front runners, it seems.

I can understand why Stroll would offer Newey a king's ransom to come to A-M.

They can't keep having these mid-season slumps

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14218 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aston pace was a bit shocking, they're being slowly left behind by the front runners, it seems.

Go to think Honda's getting a little nervous too.
They do have a big factory upgrade soon but they also have only one driver to rely on at this point too unless Lance can be pried out of that seat somehow.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Fun end to the race, wasn't sure he was going to catch for the lead. 2nd year in a row, all 20 finished with no yellow flags or SC.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Also, looking at the relative race pace of the mid to back field.
Sainz really doesn't have an easy choice to make.

Sauber, hope the Audi deal is a Hamilton>MB level move.
Williams & hope they keep moving forward, even though they haven't had the best race pace as of late
Haas could be a decent option, Nico has been getting decent results out of the car.
Alpine, maybe a sabbatical for a year would be a better option... Razz

Or, hope that Checo keeps delivering lackluster results & poach the seat if RBR has some 'escape clause' in his extension.