SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 ... 241
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
OH - this may also explain why Angela Cullen is back in the mix possibly. Maybe it was she and Merc who weren't hitting it off.

Inquiring minds....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12627 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
All this after they made his driving position a major factor in the cockpit redesign.
No doubt they've driven the simulator car and some have speculated that was a factor too-he didn't think the new car was up to snuff.

I doubt that was the issue as it seems this move has been in the works for a while at Ferrari.
The big holdup on Sainz contract was allegedly Ferrari wanting him for a year but Sainz wanted longer.

Makes more sense now why Ferrari insisted on the one year contract.

Posts: 9774 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's official
https://www.formula1.com/en/la...izCeJ096Qrhbkb6.html

quote:
Seven-time F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton will part ways with Mercedes at the end of 2024, and will make a sensational switch to Ferrari next year.

Hamilton has raced for the Silver Arrows since the 2013 season and has won six of his seven world titles with the team, adding to the crown he achieved at McLaren earlier in his career.

He had also re-committed to Mercedes last summer, signing a new deal to keep him aboard through 2025, but this will now be cut short to allow for his headline-making move.

Hamilton’s decision comes after two challenging seasons for the Brackley squad, who have struggled to adapt to F1’s latest ground effect era and have dropped behind Red Bull in the pecking order.

It means Hamilton will link up with Charles Leclerc, who recently agreed an extension with the Scuderia “beyond 2024”, while Carlos Sainz will have to make way at the end of this year.

Amid intense speculation over Hamilton’s F1 future last year, Leclerc was asked about the prospect of teaming up with the Briton and admitted he would be open to it.

If I say yes [I would like to be his team mate], I imagine it being the title of every newspaper!” Leclerc smiled. “I mean Lewis is such an incredible driver and he has achieved so much in the sport.

“I think anybody on the grid would love to have Lewis as a team mate, as everybody will learn a lot from him. But I’m happy where I am and with Carlos it’s a great relationship too.”

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15921 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Hello, Fernando? How are you?

Posts: 12627 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Hello, Fernando? How are you?

Yep, that seems to be the next buzz
Supposedly he's said he wants to see how the AMR looks before making a move
Then there's the Sainz to Sauber/Audi talk going on, too

Posts: 15921 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Color me an idiot but will this be for the upcoming season or next season?

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3645 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

The next, starting 2025.
Unclear how his early exit from Mercedes is handled, but he may have had the upper hand in that part of his agreement on last renegotiation.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

This is starting in 2025.
Both Hamilton and Sainz will still be driving for their same teams as in 2023.
Sort of like living with the wife you're divorcing for a year before moving out.

Posts: 9774 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alonso going to Mercedes would be a very bad idea, and I don’t think Toto would actually let it happen. Too much drama. Alonso is a great driver, and at his best when he’s the number one driver. But if he has a teammate that seriously challenges him, he’s an agent of chaos.

Posts: 3400 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Alonso going to Mercedes would be a very bad idea, and I don’t think Toto would actually let it happen. Too much drama. Alonso is a great driver, and at his best when he’s the number one driver. But if he has a teammate that seriously challenges him, he’s an agent of chaos.

Albon could be an option, similar to Bottas moving up to take Rosberg's seat in 17. And he had a pretty good 23 season.
Otherwise, it would need to be a F2 driver I suppose.
Vettel or Button? Not likely, but an interesting idea.

posted Hide Post
Mercedes will probably just promote Schumaker. He's already the reserve driver.

Posts: 780 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
Mercedes will probably just promote Schumaker. He's already the reserve driver.

That's a risky proposition with how much $ damage incurred with his Haas tenure.

Better off to put baby Schu in the Williams for a year or two & move Albon up.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Agree. Schumacher would really surprise me. I doubt they would give him serious consideration.
Lots of better choices out there to choose from.
As bad as Mercedes season was, they did finish second in the championship.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
As much as I love the idea of a Schumacher back in a car, that isn't going to happen IMHO. That is a huge risk with a limited resource.

It's like replacing college football coaches. Sure, the nostalgic replacement for a Saban or Urban may make emotional sense, but not business and most importantly competitive sense.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The other annoyance putting Mick Schumacher in that seat is they'd probably have to buy out Mick's Alpine contract for the WEC this season.

Posts: 4407 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
The other annoyance putting Mick Schumacher in that seat is they'd probably have to buy out Mick's Alpine contract for the WEC this season.

The seat isn't available until 2025 and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a get out clause in his contract if a quality F1 seat was open for him anyway.
I don't think that's his problem however. Like many F1 greats, the brothers and sons are mostly not at the same level and bring mostly a famous last name.

Teams at the top like Mercedes don't take gambles in relatively inexperienced or unproven drivers.

Schumacher looked ok, other than the crashes, against his Russian teammate Mazapin but Magnusson then stepped into the car after a year out and made him look pretty second rate.

Sainz or maybe Albon would be the most obvious choice and Russell will have a better year without being Hamilton's little brother in the team.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
And guess which story this has bumped out of the news like it was planned?

Posts: 4407 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
And guess which story this has bumped out of the news like it was planned?

Assuming you mean the Andretti rejection?
Interesting timing for sure, if there's anything dubious to it.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Dubious is a little stretch, but the more FOM can bury the Andretti denial out of the news, the happier they'll be.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
In other F1 News:

Haas VF-24 Livery