SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 ... 231
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A truly competitive McLaren would be fun too. For all the flack they took at the start of the season, they made a solid close on the leaders.
A 4 way at the front with RBR, McL, MBZ & Ferrari all mixing it up would be ideal. Unlikely, but would be great to have a real fight for it.

No idea what happened to Bottas today. He was running decently in his first stint on the hard, then all pace evaporated on the medium. Bummer, he looked speedy [for his place] in practice.
Dropping to 9th sucks for $, but gives them some extra development time. Hoping Sauber makes a Williams sized leap next year.

Also crazy that Max was the only driver to complete every racing lap this season.
Another record in his belt too, first driver to lead 1,000 laps in a single season. I think they said only 19 have done it in their career. Having 22 races & 6 sprints goes a long way to achieving that feat, though.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15372 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Seemed like all the team except Red Bull had something to race for today.
Sort of a class A, B, and C championship so all were really racing a specific group of cars that could affect their place in the points and prize money.

Posts: 9538 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
That's a wrap.
Cruise control drive for Max, but some strategic scraps behind.
Max had enough points, on his own, to win both WDC & WCC.

Now the 3 depressing months of no racing...

Also, my DVR initially showed the ESPNU recording, with the kids' commentary Confused
Luckily, it recorded the main broadcast on ESPN as well. Thank you YTTV.

YTTV did the same for me, but then I noticed a menu under it that allowed me to switch to the main broadcast.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Why did LeClerc give 2nd place to Perez? I thought Ferrari and Mercedes were trying to battle for the constructors?

I just did not understand what he was doing.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
Why did LeClerc give 2nd place to Perez? I thought Ferrari and Mercedes were trying to battle for the constructors?

Perez had the 5s penalty, I think CL was letting him go to open the gap to Russell & try to have him [Perez] drop to 3rd & reduce the points for Mercedes

Posts: 15372 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

Perez had the 5s penalty, I think CL was letting him go to open the gap to Russell & try to have him [Perez] drop to 3rd & reduce the points for Mercedes

Exactly.

By letting Checo get ahead, Charles was hoping he could pull out 5 seconds to negate the effect of his pending 5sec penalty...and not drop to 5th. The point difference would have given Ferrari 2nd in the Constructor's Championship (which is where the money is)

That's why Russell was thankful that the Ferrari didn't unduly hold them up, the Merc and the Ferrari, to extend the gap further

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I'm glad it's over. One of the dullest years in history with, suprisingly, one of the raciest formulas we've had. Now if the other 9 losers could get with the program, next year might be pretty good.

At least we'll have several months for the Formula 1 teams to figure out a new way to fuck Andretti Global from joining the gentleman's club...

Posts: 4206 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Only two months until the Netflix series!

Posts: 833 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The quick fix from the fan perspective would be for Red bull to install a more competitive number two in the other car.
I wouldn't count on them producing a less competitive car or the others being consistently closer next year.
Lets face it, Perez was meant to be a quick fix to back up Max but he's not close enough to help if another team like Mercedes has a real fast car and two more equal and fast drivers to gang up on Max.
Otherwise, I've gotten used to Max checking out and the rest of the field has been more closely matched and unpredictable than ever.
Add a few of Alonso's outstanding performances and I thought it was an enjoyable season to watch.

Posts: 9538 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
watching McLaren and Aston Martin come from the midfield to being competitive at the front was very entertaining. I cant help but continue to root for Ferrari. I really hope they get it together.

Now I will fill the coming weeks by 'hopefully' watching the series Brawn GP. I think it is four episodes.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Planning on starting the Brawn series tonight, from all I've heard it's really well done.

Hoping McLaren can get some solid development over the winter & bring a front runner next season. Had to chap Norris that Piastri got the sprint win & he's winless in '23.

I think Williams is the only team to confirm both seats? Just Albon confirmed for '24?
Sargeant put in some decent drives, overall, we'll see if it's enough to cement his seat for '24.

posted Hide Post
The Brawn series was really good.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Watched the first episode of the Brawn series last night. Really well done so far, IMO.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I’ve never been so happy to see a series end in my life

After last season I certainly am not going to suffer withdrawal symptoms.

The most boring season in recorded history.

Posts: 53226 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Max put together an almost flawless level of performance for a whole season, glad I saw that. It was kinda like watching a golfer birdie every hole.

And four pretty much legitimate contenders for best of the rest, ebbing a flowing through the season. I enjoyed this year quite a bit.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8364 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
With Williams stopping updating their car so early and concentrating on the 2024 car, I can be hopeful Albon will really come forward...their new Team Principle has really had an impact.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just finished the Brawn GP series on Hulu. Really well done, IMO.
I knew the story, but wasn't watching at the time, I got back into it in 2014.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
A very cool story from Zak Brown on how McLaren went from nobody to somebody in the same year:

https://racer.com/2023/12/27/s...f-impact-at-mclaren/

quote:
Brown surprised by Stella's quick impact at McLaren
Chris Medland December 27, 2023 10:24 AM ET

McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown was surprised by how quickly Andrea Stella was able to make an impact after taking over as team principal this year.

Stella was promoted into the position of team principal after Andreas Seidl moved to Sauber to prepare for Audi’s arrival in 2026, replacing Ferrari-bound Fred Vasseur. Although McLaren started the season poorly, Stella made structural changes early in his tenure, while car development helped the team to fight for regular podiums and threaten for pole positions in the second half of the season. Brown admitted he had not expected such a rapid turnaround.

“He is a very nice guy, which is why I think people like working with him,” Brown said. “I call him ‘The Swan’. He looks like a nice guy, cruising above the water, but underneath, he’s paddling fast. He’s very tough, he’s very professional, very articulate in his delivery, kind of like your guys [the media] experience when he talks to you.

“He’s not political at all. He’s not ego [-driven] at all. And I think yes, I’m pleasantly surprised, not at what he’s brought to the table, but how quickly he’s had the impact that he’s had because I think we all see that the turnaround has been pretty awesome.

“A big moment for me was when he stated [how big the upgrade would be] in Austria – that was a bit unlike him, to call his shot. And he got it right. He knows he’s not afraid to lay it out there, and make some bold predictions without them being over the top predictions. He kind of just calls it as he sees it.”

Brown feels one of the most impressive aspects about Stella’s leadership has been how it led to greater contributions from other key members within the team, as former technical director James Key was the only major departure announced in the past year.

“I think the impressive thing is that it’s the same people, but it’s a different team,” he said. “It’s a different team because of the leadership of Andrea. His work ethic, his communication skills, his demand for performance, he has a great ability to look at commentary from his team through their lens. So these are all just great leadership qualities, he just happens to be running a Formula 1 team.

“He sets a very clear direction. He has very high expectations. He has great follow-through and a tremendous amount of empowerment. So when he restructured the technical structure, I think initially it was a bit, ‘how do you have three technical directors?’ And I think his view was, he’s actually what you’d call a technical team principal, so one could argue he almost… what does a technical director do? He facilitates, he brings together all the great technical expertise to set a direction, which [Stella] does.

“So he empowered Pete Prodromou to lead aero, Neil Oatley, and obviously we’re bringing in Rob Marshall and David Sanchez. He’s been able to get the most out of the talent we have, because it’s the same people, and the same technology, because the same wind tunnel and simulator and stuff is here now, that has nothing to do with our Austria-onward upgrade.

“The same people that gave us the car for Bahrain have given us the car [for] the second half of the year. The only difference is, a new team principal, a new technical director structure, and a new head of aero. Everyone else has been the same people with the same tools that have [delivered]. Piers [Thynne] has had a big role. And everyone has stepped up. And he’s led by example.”

Posts: 4206 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Gil De Ferran dead at 56 of an apparent heart attack.
While not involved in F1 as a driver, he has been an adviser to the McLaren team and well known around the racing world.
Indycar champion and Indy 500 winner for Roger Penske. Holds the all time closed course speed record of 241 mph.

https://www.autosport.com/indy...dead-at-56/10561443/

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post