SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 ... 231
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Gil De Ferran dead at 56 of an apparent heart attack.
While not involved in F1 as a driver, he has been an adviser to the McLaren team and well known around the racing world.
Indycar champion and Indy 500 winner for Roger Penske. Holds the all time closed course speed record of 241 mph.

https://www.autosport.com/indy...dead-at-56/10561443/

Hate to see this. Had a chance to meet and visit with him back in 2002 and he was incredibly friendly and gracious.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a bummer to read. RIP.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Was there a problems with the board over the weekend? I could swear there were more posts after mine.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Was there a problems with the board over the weekend? I could swear there were more posts after mine.

Your post is still there on pg 216

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Then how did it double onto this page?

Edit: Either way, I'm killing it. No need for that to be posted on two different pages.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hearing that Alfa Romeo has changed their name to prepare for full Audi branding in 2026.

Posts: 9167 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
All this talk about Gil de Ferran reminded me about his record that will never be broken:

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Hearing that Alfa Romeo has changed their name to prepare for full Audi branding in 2026

Yup, Stake F1 Team, for 24 and presumably 25, with the switch to Audi in 26

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Guenther is out at HAAS.

MoneyGram Haas F1 Team Appoints Ayao Komatsu Team Principal

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
At least he'll have time for his upcoming sitcom on CBS. Here's some more analysis:

https://racer.com/2024/01/10/w...is-going-in-at-haas/

quote:
What the hell is going in at Haas?
Chris Medland January 10, 2024 12:14 PM ET

Big leadership changes can have a major impact, whether that be either a fresh start or rocking the boat. In the case of Haas, it feels a little more like Gene Haas might have just risked sinking the ship.

To give the team owner his dues, it’s his money that he’s been putting into the Formula 1 operation – a lot of it anyway – and he is the person who gets to decide who runs his team for him. But in firing Guenther Steiner and replacing him with Ayao Komatsu, it feels like the Panthers might not be the only North Carolina-based team with an owner that won’t have the full backing of the team or fans.

Steiner was, of course, a hugely popular figure from the moment Drive to Survive hit the screens, and even prior to that given his no-nonsense approach. But being popular externally – and on the whole, internally too – doesn’t guarantee success or job security.

Yet, despite slipping to a frustrating 10th place in the constructors’ championship last year and appearing to be lost when it came to car development – generally the domain of a technical team rather than a team principal – it didn’t feel like Steiner was nearing the end of the road.

In fact, he was still one of the brighter spots for Haas.

While the team struggled, Steiner – who had a very good relationship with Ferrari team principal Fred Vasseur at the center of that key partnership – was still a superstar who could keep Haas as an attractive entity to sponsors and partners. Money is certainly what Gene Haas will have wanted coming in, allowing him to scale back his own investment while retaining the team name and global branding for Haas Automation.

In my last interview with Steiner, in Abu Dhabi just over a month ago, he was confident he and the team had time to try and find consistency, after a start to 2023 that had yielded eight points from three top 10 finishes in the first five rounds.

“There’s a lot of interest [from the U.S.],” Steiner told RACER. “First of all, it’s a lot of interest for Formula 1, and obviously there is for Haas because we are the American team – knowing that we need to do better.

“I think we’ve capitalized, we’ve got a lot of American sponsors, we have got MoneyGram, we have got Haas Automation, we have got Chipotle. They are American corporates. Obviously the pressure is there, they are very good people and they support us and they know that we are going through a spell where we are not where we want to be, but at the start of the season we were in a completely different position, and they believe that we can put ourselves back in this position.

“So nobody is panicking or anything, but the pressure is there.”

Well, he was certainly right about pressure. Although it’s a surprise that it has come from within.

Komatsu gives Haas a new name at the top of the organizational chart, but there’s little indication he’s been given the ingredients to succeed where Steiner couldn’t. Andy Hone/Motorsport Images
The fact that Komatsu has been promoted suggests a change in what Gene Haas wants from his team principal. Steiner was certainly not always a yes man – in many ways he viewed Haas as his team, even though it was someone else’s money – and perhaps that was a frustration that grew too big given the final outcome in 2023.

Whether he has impressed with visionary ideas or is viewed by the team owner as someone he can have more control over, it now feels like the Japanese engineer has been told to stop the ship from going down despite the only notable change being that it is currently one senior body lighter.

The past 18 months have really brought the Haas predicament to the fore, with Dorilton Capital investing so heavily in Williams, and AlphaTauri (whatever it becomes known as) taking on a totally new structure and receiving extra resources for facilities, too.

The Sauber-run team is going to evolve from Stake to Audi in 2026, and while Alpine might run Haas close for a lack of clear direction, having also ditched its team principal after asking for what Otmar Szafnauer viewed as an unrealistic timeline, but it has also attracted additional funding in the past year.

McLaren and Aston Martin have infiltrated the top three teams with major projects of their own – a new wind tunnel and whole factory respectively – yet Haas has not kept up with any of the above.

In that sense it’s no surprise that it ended up 10th last season, and if it is going to deliver a better car in 2024 it’s highly unlikely to be based on changes demanded by Komatsu now.

And while you could make an argument for replacing Steiner, you don’t need me to tell you this isn’t football. So while the Panthers can hope for better from a change of head coach or general manager, it takes far longer to have an impact within an F1 team.

To that end, neither will it be Komatsu’s fault if Haas remains adrift at the back.

Promoting a more technically-minded leader worked very well for McLaren a year ago, but that was a team that was already making multiple other changes and investments, and Andrea Stella’s history of working with world champions during a long stint at Ferrari commanded instant respect.

Haas isn’t underfunded in terms of the day-to-day by any stretch, but Komatsu is facing the same issue as Steiner in the lack of extra resource and commitment to keep up with the rest of the grid.

In fact, if sponsors are unhappy with the change then it could become harder to maintain commercial interest without an uptick in results, and then Haas could be faced with putting more money into the team anyway.

Until someone’s had a chance at doing the job, it would be grossly unfair to state Komatsu can’t improve matters, but he’s taken on a position that, at this stage, has not been given any more of what it really needs to be successful.

He starts a tough job already on the back foot, but even in the face of filling such a big character’s shoes, his biggest challenge is going to be convincing the man in charge that his own promotion is simply papering over some very large cracks compared to the rest of the grid.

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Regarding Haas. I do not believe we will see any real changes until the summer break. Any changes Komatsu makes to the cars etc. will likely not be evident until the Netherlands race in August.

BUT, I am an idiot and do not really know what I am talking about. They may just be scrapping the coming year and focusing on developments for the '25 season. OR they may be executing changes and systems that have been in the works for awhile.

Would Binotto be a good choice here? Dang if I know.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
So Hass is not happy with the performance of the car?

So they take the guy who was in charge of engineering for the car and promote him?

Am I missing something?

Posts: 2313 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Simone Resta also left who was one of the technical directors, and this story also adds to the story:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/...epartue-simone-resta

quote:
Another key figure leaves Haas after argument with team owner – report
Sam Cooper 10 Jan 2024 12:04 PM

Simone Resta has been with Haas since 2021 having previously worked for Ferrari.

Hours before Guenther Steiner’s shock departure, Haas senior staff member Simone Resta has also left the team just a few weeks before the 2024 car will be unveiled.

According to the Italian edition of Motorsport.com, technical director Resta has left due to disagreements with owner Gene Haas and a reported lack of “motivation.”

The duo’s departure represents a major upheaval at Haas just weeks before the F1 2024 season is due to begin. Read the full story on Guenther Steiner’s exit here.

Resta joined Haas from Ferrari in January 2021 with the Italian set to help the team running on Ferrari powered engines.

But the results have not been good since then with Haas finishing bottom in 2023 after an inherent problem was found with their chassis design.

Resta reportedly discussed the plans of the team with owner Gene Haas but was left unsatisfied and as a result, has walked out on the newest addition to the F1 grid.

Motorsport.com suggest that Resta “no longer found the motivation in Haas” and disagreements began in 2023 when he was eager to spend the development budget on the first version of the VF-23.

Gene Haas wanted the car to follow the design of Red Bull instead which is reported as being the main sticking point between the two parties.

As to where Resta may go, a return to Ferrari could be on the cards after he first joined them in 2001 while a move to Audi could also be a possibility.

Speaking following the F1 2023 season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Haas driver Kevin Magnussen admitted that it has been a “tough” year for the team.

However, he wanted to look at this in a positive way with a view to F1 2024, looking at Haas’ woes as “character building” for a “big opportunity” to improve in the season ahead.

“I guess as always, there’s many things to be learned when it’s this tough, that you wouldn’t have learned if it was smooth sailing,” he told media including PlanetF1.com.

“It’s character building and it’s strength, you get resilient. We build-up resilience to hard times.

“It’s not something I enjoy, I haven’t enjoyed this year too much, but there’s always another day to fight. Next year is another big opportunity for us.”

Either way, I'm still hoping that Gene Haas keeps getting humiliated with all this drama.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't get why Gene won't either find other investors, sponsorship, or just sell the team and cash out. The endless struggle can't be all that much fun anymore.
I suspect he'd have a very healthy profit, since the value of one of the ten entries has risen greatly since he joined.
Maybe this would be a way for Andretti to enter without all the drama and then it would still be an American owned team.
As the season approaches hopefully it will become clear.

Posts: 9536 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe this would be a way for Andretti to enter without all the drama and then it would still be an American owned team.

That crossed my mind as soon as I heard they fired Steiner.

I thought Haas was looking to get out of the Circus

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14187 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Because Gene left all of that to Steiner to find sponsors. Stewart-Haas Racing in NASCAR also seems to be going to shit as well. Here's a video going into this situation a little more

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:

That crossed my mind as soon as I heard they fired Steiner.

I thought Haas was looking to get out of the Circus

I suspect the Andretti will only pay what he thinks Haas is actually worth, not what Gene thinks his team is worth.

Posts: 3340 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect the Andretti will only pay what he thinks Haas is actually worth, not what Gene thinks his team is worth.

...and certainly a lot less then the Equalization Fee they were looking at paying

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14187 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
McLaren breaks cover first with the MCL38

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...qt6SWUjIio6GLqP.html