SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I don't find racing for second and third to be entertaining.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
"Just solid??" -- George Russell Big Grin

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
First half wasn't bad, lots of midfield scraps.
The last 1/3, yawn.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
There were a lot of different strategies on display yesterday....if you like that sort of things which I do.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It was crazy for a while with so many different tire strategies running, but once it settled, it really got a bit stale.
No yellows, no SC, all 20 finished.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winning is everything. All the rest is just a participation trophy.

Spain to me was a classic example of just how mediocre road racing as a TV event can be, from qualifying to the checkered flag. Despite all of the lower position (ahem, back marker fodder) action and mayhem, the inescapable fact is that there's Max and his team on an existential higher plain of existence, then there's everyone else on the podunk tier fighting for and scrapping over the leftovers. Maybe F1 should handicap Red Bull by requiring that half of Verstappen's pit crew work with one hand tied behind their backs. Maybe, just maybe that'll give at least some of the remainder of the otherwise undeserving field (including Sainz) a fighting chance.

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Max had a grand slam this weekend.
IIRC, he was fastest in all 3 FP sessions, fastest in quali, led every lap, won the race, and got fastest lap.
All while having an almost 18 sec gap over Lewis in 2nd.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I watched it, despite having halfway deciding not to watch any more races this year. It only confirmed I was right to start with.

Red Bull is impressive, but I don't like Horner and I like Verstappen even less. Watching them win by 30 seconds is boring.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Whereas IndyCar at Detroit was awesome. You had an active battle for the lead at a tight street course.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Whereas IndyCar at Detroit was awesome. You had an active battle for the lead at a tight street course.

Doesn't Indycar have it's own thread?

Anyway, Yes having all the cars drive the exact same car. Then its like NASCAR and they all bunch up and the winner is the lucky bloke who doesnt get caught up in the 'big one'. (I know I know, that is a gross oversimplification - its about the drivers) Smile

Sorry, I will take Perez fighting from the back, LeClerc stuck back there, HAAS trying to get back to the midfield, Mercedes finally getting it together, Alonso is just a genius, and even Tsunodo "leave me alone I'm driving".

I like Indycar more than Nascar, it was why I had season tickets when I lived in Texas. But I love Qualifying in F1, the tracks, the helmet cams, all of it. I just have more fun watching F1.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Agreed that F1 production quality leaves the other top-tier motorsports wanting, even if they cut from a pending overtake or action shot to show the crowd, or someone entering the pits on occasion Mad .
I enjoy MotoGP, but their race broadcast isn't to the level F1 is. Indy similar.
I've only watched 1 NASCAR race on probably 10 years (COTA) so can't really comment on that.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Much like some people don't watch baseball or soccer because it seems slow and boring to them compared to some other sports.
You need to understand the more subtle aspects for most people to become a fan or even have much interest.
That's where Drive to Survive has been a great benefit to the sport. They explain enough of the things going on that may not appear obvious in an entertaining fashion.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...k-ramps-up/10479182/

quote:
Earlier this year, the FIA opened up the tender process for F1's official supply contract from 2025 to 2027, with the possibility of it being extended until 2028.

The deadline for applicants was May 15, with the FIA now going through the process of evaluating the proposals from interested parties before making a call on who the approved bidders are on 16 June.

The successful candidates will then move on to the next stage of the process, which will include discussions with F1's commercial rights holder.

The last tyre tender process, from 2020 to 2023, saw Pirelli face a challenge from South Korean company Hankook.

Pirelli was then granted a one-year extension until the end of 2024 due to the delays in the introduction of new technical regulations prompted by the COVID pandemic.

With the deadline for applicants for the 2025-2027 tender having passed, it is understood that Pirelli is not alone in having put in a bid for the new tyre contract.

And while there has been no confirmation from the FIA about the number of candidates nor their identity, sources have suggested that Japanese company Bridgestone has applied.

Bridgestone was last involved in F1 from 1997 to 2010 and had been the single supplier from 2007 onwards following the decision of Michelin to quit the championship at the end of 2006.

Since leaving F1, Bridgestone has remained involved in major Japanese categories as well as other international series. Its Firestone brand is the sole supplier of IndyCar.

Speaking to Motorsport.com recently, Bridgestone's manager of motorsports planning Eiichi Suzuki said that the company was evaluating involvement in other series, including F1.

"We are always thinking about what and how we can best supply our motorsports activities in global categories, including F1," he said. "Of course, we are conducting research on such matters."

Bridgestone itself has, however, declined to confirm whether or not that interest has extended to it formally applying for the tyre tender contract.

A spokesperson for the company said: "Bridgestone has a heritage of over 60 years in motorsports and we will continue to pursue sustainable global motorsports activities. However, we refrain from commenting on any particular categories."

Maybe this will have some legs, since it doesn't have that weird 1 year 13" requirement, like the last time this came up.
Maybe F1 goes back to 2 tire suppliers & an extra variable to affect the races?

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure adding another tire supplier would make things more competitive and it would make things more expensive while they are trying to lower the costs.
If a team performing like Red Bull this year happens to make the right tire choice, and another team that was very close chose the other option, there would be one more item spreading the field.
When you step back, you can see an incredibly competitive and variable field that just needs to catch one team.
If I was going to change anything about the tires, it might be a requirement to run all three compounds in a race which would also force a second pit stop.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That, or go 1 step softer for each race to force the higher degradation

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.espn.com/f1/story/...outh-african-gp-2024

quote:

Formula One's plan to hold a South African Grand Prix in 2024 has fallen through, sources have told ESPN, meaning the popular Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps should return for another year.

F1 has been exploring a return to the Kyalami circuit in recent years as part of a push to find a race on the African continent. The South African track hosted 21 F1 races between 1967 and 1993.

The event had the support of seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton, who told ESPN in May he was pushing F1 for the event to take place as racing in Africa would be "a big dream."

Talks with the original organisers fell through, with questions over the funding behind the project to bring the venue up to modern standards.

New promoters -- Miami-based sports investment company 777 -- had given the event renewed hope of appearing on the 2024 schedule, but sources have told ESPN that will not happen.

According to RacingNews365.com, the race has been abandoned because of South Africa's alleged political alignment with Russia. F1 cancelled the Russian Grand Prix in the wake of the nation's military invasion of Ukraine in 2022.

The Belgian Grand Prix was the race which would have fallen off the schedule at the expense of the Kyalami event and currently only has a deal for the 2023 edition. It is believed Spa will get another year for 2024.

The longer term future of the Spa-Francorchamps event, considered one of the iconic venues on the F1 calendar, is unclear as it is understood to want a long-term deal to remain on the calendar.

F1 is still keen to find a race venue for Africa, which has not hosted a grand prix since 1992.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Hope that's a negotiating tactic and they keep Spa.
That's one of the most classic circuits in all of Formula One.

Just an example, turn up the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfoVqAt0lIM

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Agreed, Spa is top 5 for sure

In no particular order: Spa, Suzuka, Silverstone, COTA, Monaco & Brazil. For me

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Well, FP1 was a snoozer. Damn marmots.
Forecast is showing rain for FP2 (extended to a 90 min session), and for Sat & Sun.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
FP2 got some rain at the end but most got a lot of running.
Lots of cars with updates. MB was 1 & 2 and the usual suspects not far behind. Hamilton a few hundredths ahead of Russell. Too early to tell still but the field is relatively close for now.
Just based on looks, the Aston's update looked pretty good and seems to be in the hunt.
FP3 tomorrow will give a better idea of who's got what, if it isn't raining.