SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 ... 230
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Very disappointed to see Ricciardo back.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

Any reason in particular?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

Any reason in particular?

Yes, several in fact.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, several in fact.

That's so deep it's talking to the crew of the Titan.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
It's Formula 1 thread, not a Ricciardo one. I'm not going to waste any time on him, we can all pull for him or not.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I’m interested in hearing what others might object to about him personally and can entertain that without being pissy.

Or are you not unhappy with him in particular but the RBR/ATR process instead?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
DR just seems like a likable guy.
He had what seemed like great potential at RBR, but saw the team shifting to Max, took the payday & jumped to Renault. Hindsight, not the best move.

I'm hopeful he can put up some good results, remains to be seen if RBR will consider a swap with Perez if DR is outperforming him, curious if Max would veto having a more competitive teammate, especially since Max alone has enough points to have RBR leading the WCC without Perez.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's Formula 1 thread, not a Ricciardo one. I'm not going to waste any time on him, we can all pull for him or not.

You opened the door Wink

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8766 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
DR has talked about purposely putting wheels off the track to kick dirt and rocks on trailing cars. I don't know if that's a common tactic but I've only heard DR bring it up and he did so as if it's a point of pride. In open cockpit cars, I can't accept such behavior.

That's enough for me but I have several other reasons not to like the guy. Not the least of which I find his general schtick tiresome and offputting. I've had enough of him.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hadn't heard that, about intentionally pulling debris on track, but agree that that is definitely not something to take pride in with any racing, open-wheel/open cockpit especially.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Fair enough!

quote:
schtick

I guess the difference for me is I've always viewed his demeanor and outward appearances as genuine rather than a performance or routine. Guess that's certainly possible as well.

From a racing standpoint, it will be interesting to see if that car has something hidden away that an experienced driver can uncover. More mid-pack racing is welcome.

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, he is one of the more popular drivers in F!, and some think he is one of the better drivers in F1, so it is a little hard to see how a conversation about Danny Ricciardo as an F1 driver isn't relevant.

I know you gave some of your reasons later.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The Alpha Tauri team will no doubt be watched more closely this weekend than their competitive position would normally dictate.
That audience includes two other drivers as their future careers may be decided by how the next few races go.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
FP1, I'm not sure Sergio could have done anything worse, unless he'd taken Max with him.
Since Max didn't run in the rain that wasn't an option.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Checo isn't doing himself any favors.
Both FP1 & 2 weren't very representative sessions.
I think Max only did 17 laps in FP2
Hopefully Saturday is a better look at where things stand.

An F1 channel I follow on YT put it out there, that if Checo has a bad weekend in Hungary & Spa, that DR3 could be bumped up after the summer break, for Monza.

Considering Max has enough points, on his own, to be leading the WCC, it doesn't seem a farfetched idea.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
DR should spend more time focused on improving his driving rather than more tattoos and drinking champagne out of his racing shoes. That’s about all I got from his portrayal on DtS a few years ago.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The new qualifying tire rule wasn't a big hit to the teams on practice day as it limited the running but it sure mixed things up for qualifying.
Now if the race is half as close and competitive, it should be exciting.
Looks like Ricciardo made a decent first qualifying effort. The race itself should be his strong point if he gets a clean start. Tough racing in that part of the grid.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I don't dislike this quali format. Puts them all on a 'level' run.
Happy to see both Alfas reach Q3. If they can co vertical that to race pace tomorrow, potential for some points.
Shocker for Russell & Sainz
Good effort by Danny Ric. A good start to outqualify Yuki.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Until they put in some rule to stop the last turn queueing, I loved a couple folks just slicing through the group and thank you very much. “Gentlemen’s Rule?” Screw that I’ve gotta go.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A seat saving drive from Perez, and a not great first outing by Ricciardo.

RBR broke the 88 McLaren record of 11 consecutive wins.
Wonder if it'll be another 35 years before someone breaks whatever the RBR record ends up being. Spa is a power circuit, so RBR shouldn't have a problem leading lights/flag, if they qualify well.