SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 ... 230
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Another change I didn't know about was mentioned after a pit stop. The tire blanket temperature has been lowered some from last year.

I think it was when Hamilton came out on the hards and was sliding around a lot. They said they are intending to get rid of the warmers all together at some point.

Indycar does fine without them so I don't see why they don't just ban them. They are only a benefit when the first teams started using them and once universal, just another needless expense.

I believe that's the endgame. Lower the Temps, lower them again, then remove altogether.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Ethanol in the fuel… Haven’t we learned already?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
No points for Red Bull is a big blow, but we'll see how that plays out over the season. I am not a Red Bull fan, so I don't mind them getting no points.

It is fun to see a shake up in the usual suspects. I do hope McClaren figures out their problems - I hate to see them bringing up the rear.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It'll be interesting to see how development spreads the field over the season & what the next couple races bring.

I've read that Alfa has good low speed performance, but needs to work on high speed corners.

Hopefully RBPT doesn't have a major issue to sort out.
Have read it might've been a spec part (fuel pump IIRC) so maybe not entirely their fault, but affected 3/4 of the RBPT cars?

Mercedes PU definitely has some work to do, seems they're at the biggest deficit (after 1 race weekend).

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was really pleased for Ferrari and Haas. They have been doing so poorly for sooooo long. Max was ringing his car's neck, but Leclerc just had a better car that day. If RB had not dropped out, Merc would have finished in nearly mid-field!!

Posts: 6620 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I was very happy to see Ferrari finish 1 and 2 but was really hoping that Merc could have been held off from getting a podium. That was a gut punch so close to the finish line.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Predicting an RB comeback …

(Silly E10 fuels … so stoopid)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surprised by Ferrari speed, MB was about 30 seconds off pace did not look engine power related, some work to do. Will see what they can do this weekend.

Posts: 178 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: December 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Saudi Arabia - Friday Practice 1
POS DRIVER NATIONALITY ENTRANT TIME
1. Charles Leclerc Monaco Ferrari 1:30.772
2. Max Verstappen Netherlands Red Bull Racing 1:30.888
3. Valtteri Bottas Finland Alfa Romeo-Ferrari 1:31.084
4. Carlos Sainz Spain Ferrari 1:31.139
5. Pierre Gasly France AlphaTauri-Red Bull 1:31.317
6. Yuki Tsunoda Japan AlphaTauri-Red Bull 1:31.505
7. Sergio Perez Mexico Red Bull Racing 1:31.563
8. Esteban Ocon France Alpine-Renault 1:32.026
9. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes 1:32.364
10. Fernando Alonso Spain Alpine-Renault 1:32.381
11. Daniel Ricciardo Australia McLaren-Mercedes 1:32.506
12. Lance Stroll Canada Aston Martin-Mercedes 1:32.582
13. Lando Norris Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1:32.594
14. Guanyu Zhou China Alfa Romeo-Ferrari 1:32.608
15. George Russell Britain Mercedes 1:32.839
16. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Aston Martin-Mercedes 1:33.034
17. Alexander Albon Thailand Williams-Mercedes 1:33.087
18. Nicholas Latifi Canada Williams-Mercedes 1:33.529
19. Mick Schumacher Germany Haas-Ferrari 1:34.429
20. Kevin Magnussen Denmark Haas-Ferrari No Time

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Saudi Arabia - Friday Practice 1
POS DRIVER NATIONALITY ENTRANT TIME
1. Charles Leclerc Monaco Ferrari 1:30.772
2. Max Verstappen Netherlands Red Bull Racing 1:30.888
3. Valtteri Bottas Finland Alfa Romeo-Ferrari 1:31.084
4. Carlos Sainz Spain Ferrari 1:31.139
5. Pierre Gasly France AlphaTauri-Red Bull 1:31.317
6. Yuki Tsunoda Japan AlphaTauri-Red Bull 1:31.505
7. Sergio Perez Mexico Red Bull Racing 1:31.563
8. Esteban Ocon France Alpine-Renault 1:32.026
9. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes 1:32.364
10. Fernando Alonso Spain Alpine-Renault 1:32.381
11. Daniel Ricciardo Australia McLaren-Mercedes 1:32.506
12. Lance Stroll Canada Aston Martin-Mercedes 1:32.582
13. Lando Norris Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1:32.594
14. Guanyu Zhou China Alfa Romeo-Ferrari 1:32.608
15. George Russell Britain Mercedes 1:32.839
16. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Aston Martin-Mercedes 1:33.034
17. Alexander Albon Thailand Williams-Mercedes 1:33.087
18. Nicholas Latifi Canada Williams-Mercedes 1:33.529
19. Mick Schumacher Germany Haas-Ferrari 1:34.429
20. Kevin Magnussen Denmark Haas-Ferrari No Time

Key data point: Max Verstappen was on hard (H) tires; everybody else was on softs (S).

~Robert A. Heinlein

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looking more & more like a RBR/Ferrari fight. We'll see how quickly MB can fast-track development to catch up.

Impressed to see VB in P3, he'd said after Bahrain that the Alfa had great low speed corner performance but that they needed to work on high speed corners.

Zhou & both Haas at the bottom, but KMag had a malfunction early on that restricted his running.

Only LH in the top 10 for the MB PUs.
We'll see what FP2 brings, when the times are usually more representative.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nice mix in the top 10 after FP2.
Only 3 doubles in there, the usual suspects.

McLaren, Alpine, Alfa & Alpha rounding it out.

Still a lot of MB at the bottom.

Top 12 within 1 sec of P1.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
LeClair’s beating Verstappen by hundredths of a second in practice times. If the Red Bulls fixed their issue from last week, Ferrari going to have a harder time keeping their lead. Looking forward to qualifying.

Posts: 4181 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Heck of a crash by Schumacher. Hit solid concrete barrier at about 170. Car is a complete wreck.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Checo P1, Max P4. Ferraris in between.

Russell dragged his Merc up to P6, while Hammy didn’t make it out of Q1.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Yes, qualifying was exciting and a nice change.
Hamilton, welcome to a Q1 exit, and earned, not just due to a problem. Russell showed the car isn't great but not that bad either. Max just couldn't put it together at the right time.
Nice to see Mick seems to be OK but a big hit.
I hope, after they get out of there, they stay out of these places.
Hard to see wokeness of F1 aligning with values of some of the new events. I suspect Vettel could have had Covid as a good excuse, seeing something like that coming and didn't want to upset the powers that be by declining to attend.
Hope for a safe and exciting race tomorrow. Then a quick trip to Australia.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
#11 ftw

~Robert A. Heinlein

posted Hide Post
RB looks to have a good package this year. Will see how engine development goes between them and Ferrari.

Posts: 178 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: December 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ouch, that Haas was thrashed.
Never seen the rear just break off like that.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Can I assume a HANS device protects in side impacts about as much as it does for head on impacts? Or is that primarily handled by the body work on either side of the helmet? I'm hard pressed to remember a side impact as hard as what Mick endured today.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post