SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Well, that was fun, a memorable race. With so much good today, I can't let this go unnoticed. There's pooping the bed and then there's Kevin Magnussen's weekend at Miami. Eek

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8407 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched the highlights tonight on YT; seems like this was a instance where I shouldn't have forgotten set the DVR. Glad to see someone other than Max and RB take the race, even if it took a safety car to put it into Norris' hands to lose. Sometimes it's better to be a bit lucky than good, and to have Magnussen brain fart and go and klutz things up to your advantage.

-MG

Posts: 2081 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched the entire race and not once did the cameras show President Trump. Crofty said at one point: "Maclaren was visited by a former president." I had to watch President Trump congratulate Lando from a fan video.

Posts: 707 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
I watched the entire race and not once did the cameras show President Trump. Crofty said at one point: "Maclaren was visited by a former president." I had to watch President Trump congratulate Lando from a fan video.

I thought the attempts in the overseas press were a bit hypocritical considering not to long ago Putin was giving out the winners trophy and sitting in his box seat with the then head of the F1 group (Bernie).

Nice to see how many of his fellow competitors seemed really happy for Lando's first win.
The track seemed to be much better this year. I think they made a few improvement based on last years feedback.
Also good to see someone finally beat Max when he was still running and not parked in the garage.
Magnussen looked more like an enforcer in a hockey game than a driver this race. He's right that he mostly followed the rules to help his team score the most points but went over the line several times. If he hasn't received a suspension by Monaco, that should be a frustrating race for anyone near him.

Posts: 9659 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About time for Liam Lawson to replace Ricciardo I’d say

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8774 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
IMO, the Sprint was more exciting than the GP, for once.
Still don't love the Sprint format, but this wasn't the best race.
That said, a big congrats to Lando!

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15559 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
It seemed as if Verstappen was unable to fight back because of damage… but stayed put in 2nd place, which seems odd to me.

Nice to see a winner not named Max. Got to be a confidence builder for McClaren.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RB's updates seem to be having the desired effect...of bringing them back to the rest of the field of front runners. I know that it's only practice, but so far through FP1 and FP2 the RB20 looks almost vulnerable.

-MG

Posts: 2081 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
As expected, Kevin Magnussen has some ideas to improve the F1 Penalty System and has a few good ideas.

https://racer.com/2024/05/16/m...cing-and-racetracks/

quote:
Magnussen urges F1 to learn from U.S. style of racing and racetracks
Chris Medland May 16, 2024 9:59 AM ET

Kevin Magnussen says Formula 1 should learn from the style of racing and circuits used in American race series to help create a better product and lessen the need for stewards to hand out penalties.

The Dane is on the verge of a race ban after picking up multiple penalties — predominantly for leaving the track and gaining an advantage, but also for causing a collision with Logan Sargeant — at the Miami Grand Prix. Two more penalty points this season would result in a ban for Magnussen, and he says F1 could find solutions by following the examples set in IndyCar and IMSA, having made a one-off appearance for Arrow McLaren at Road America alongside his full IMSA season with Chip Ganassi Racing in 2021.

“The best thing would be for the FIA to tell us to give back positions, and then the consequence for not doing that being harsh — like really harsh, so you make sure that’s being done,” Magnussen said. “I think firstly it gets too complicated, and also too big a consequence. You have to be able to leave a bit of room to go over the limit and then come back from that, whereas now if they judge it to be an unfair advantage and it’s a drive-through penalty, I think that’s not good.

“I’ve raced in IndyCar, and I love the way they race over there — I feel the rules are very clear and very simple, and the racing is great. The racing has to be great amongst the 20 best drivers in the world. Formula 1 drivers are fast, but also very good at racing. You have to showcase that. That has to be part of it.

“We all came from karting and learned to race each other, and I feel now — certainly for myself with the guidelines this year — some of that is going against the natural racing dynamic that we’ve all learned from young kids. I know that’s a separate issue to going off and holding people back and all the stuff I got penalties for. I think that can be solved with telling us to give back positions, and the penalty for not doing that being very harsh.

“Tracks, that’s a big part too. I raced in IndyCar and also in sports cars in America and one thing that stood out was the tracks and how unbelievably different they are to F1 tracks.

“The cars over there, they’re low as well — we bounce around in the sports cars over there. I feel that we’re very sensitive to track stuff in Formula 1.

“I like the rough tracks; I prefer those. But also to the racing issue, tracks that have grass or gravel on the outside, you put this natural limit in and that sorts itself out. I feel that’s also an issue in Formula 1, just the tracks in general.”

Magnussen also believes the fact there are more races per season compared to when the 12 penalty points rule was brought in — with each point lasting for 12 months from when they are earned — means the system needs updating.

“The fact I’m at risk of a race ban for driving outside of some white lines on a piece of tarmac, I don’t know if I feel that is right. But it is the way the rules are. So you know, I accept that. But I feel there’s room for improvement there, not only in terms of the points.

“There are more races now than there was when they were introduced. I feel you can end up getting a race ban effectively for a very minor thing.”

Posts: 4337 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bit of a processional race, with a fun finish.

Posts: 15559 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Pretty dull, but I do like the combo of Harry Benjamin and Karun Chandock in the announcer’s booth over Croft and Brundle. They actually sounded like they were excited to be calling a race instead of bored to tears.

Posts: 4337 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Took me some time to get used to Harry over Croft.
A bit less ecstatic energy at the start, but he & Karun did work well together.

A lap or 2 more & I think the top step would've definitely been different.
Either a swap of 1/2 or 3rd moving up to first with a heap of mangled carbon left behind.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Took me some time to get used to Harry over Croft.
A bit less ecstatic energy at the start, but he & Karun did work well together.

A lap or 2 more & I think the top step would've definitely been different.
Either a swap of 1/2 or 3rd moving up to first with a heap of mangled carbon left behind.

A lot of the press folks said one more lap and Lando would have won.
I don't agree. He was on the edge for the last ten laps or so and between the areo wash and Max turning up the wick, he couldn't get quite close enough. That track doesn't give the DRS quite enough effect, even with some of the other cars where there was a larger difference in performance.
Nice to see a real race for first for once but it seemed to come at the expense of exciting racing for the other positions.

Posts: 9659 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think it would've needed maybe 5 laps to change the lead. LN was pushing quite hard & stepped out a couple times causing him to lose tome to MV.
It's one thing to catch, it's another to pass, and Imola definitely seems a tricky one to make a smooth pass. Which is why I think it had the potential to end in misery for those 2 had they had a couple more laps, which would've given CL a Schumi repeat from 06.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Love him or hate him, Seb was really pushing the Ayrton car in the pre-race show. Safer to do when it's yours I guess!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12501 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Love him or hate him, Seb was really pushing the Ayrton car in the pre-race show. Safer to do when it's yours I guess!

I'll have to look that up, I don't typically do the pre/post race bits.

Also, I guess Sky has their own replay system. There's times on the Int'l feed [F1TV] they'll refer to a replay that isn't part of the Int'l broadcast. Makes for some weird viewing at times. Seems some of the team radio replays get done twice as well.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to the whole thing on YT, without the Ted Kravitz interview on F1 Sunday show.

Skip to just before 4:00 for them to fire it up. And pay attention to the floor lifting up before he pulls away. Ah the days of active suspension.

He takes it easy the first half lap, then hooboy! Of course he didn't just drive the car. He OWNS the car! Eek

Link

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12501 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
IIRC he owns a Mansell Williams as well. I forget which year, I think it's a 91 or 92.

posted Hide Post
Time is cruel. I'd forgotten just how good those old engines sounded.

-MG

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It’s a shame that the racing is about the same with one person dominating the season, but the bigger crime is taking all the Marlboro decals off the McLaren Ford.