SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 229 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I'm shocked he's performing at such a level after any kind of -ectomy surgery.
The fact he was in the Saudi pits for the race, maybe 18hrs post-op, was shocking.

Yes and yes. Just got the wife back from an -ectomy, I think it hurt her thinking about what Carlos was going through.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rewatched the Russell crash on my DVR recording of the race a few times, and it’s a completely BS penalty on Alonso. Alonso never slowed down suddenly at any time and Russell had to take action to avoid running into him. There was at least a full car length between them and minimal delta in speed when Russell lost it. The in-car and overhead views show that the rear of the Merc stepped out going into the corner, and Russell’s sudden steering wheel movements were were to correct the oversteer, not to keep from running into Alonso. Russell just lost it. Maybe dirty air was a factor, but Alonso didn’t do anything wrong.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
It seems Alonso was having some problem and driving less predictably than he had been, he was some factor in the incident.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I'm not excusing what happened with Williams at all, simply explaining what may have happened to cause this.

We know what caused it. James Vowles told us over the weekend.

quote:
My original point was that to compare Andretti's recent Indycar team and the operational challenges they face to what any F1 team faces with the huge worldwide logistical issues and claim they would easily outperform the Williams team if they were on the grid next year, (or 2026) was not a valid comparison.

To some degree, but Williams hasn't been a professional outfit for the last 10 years, especially considering the details of the shitshow that Vowles has willingly discussed in the press. Since he's also one of the sheep claiming that Andretti doesn't show enough "value" while proving that Williams has been a constant embarrassment to the sport, this issue included. Williams races in only 1 championship, knew this was an issue, and didn't nothing to provide a backup plan other than hope and prayer.

Speaking of the race, I'm wondering if more Team Principals are wondering what other organs their drivers could get removed and win the next race. If it's just an appendix, it only works once....

Posts: 4175 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
RE: Williams
Seems like they've been on a downhill trend, with a few flashes of 'brilliance' since 2016 or so.
They were really strong in 2014 & 15, when everyone was new to the hybrid PUs & have been out-developed & left behind since.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15323 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It can almost be tracked back to Williams firing Adam Parr. Some of it could be him fluffing his own ego in Ross Brawns biography (they have an interview comparing Parr's last days at Williams vs Brawn's last days at Mercedes). With Parr running the show, he was able to keep Williams comfortably in the midfield and somehow got Williams' last win with Pastor Maldonaldo in 2012.

Then Williams fired him because of a political battle between Parr and Bernie only for Bernie to be gone 2 years later. Then Frank puts Claire in charge with no experience or resume and flatlines the entire operation in 2 years. I do have to feel sorry for Paddy Lowe after leaving Mercedes for Williams in 2017 and promptly leaving. At the time everyone thought he overstepped his talent, and now we learn of Vowles dumping all the dirty laundry going on. Lowe ditching Williams was probably his best career move he's ever made.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Then Vowles left Merc to run Williams.
Albon seems to be getting a lot out of the car & it's better than the past couple years, but still no contender.

I'd say the Bottas/Massa years were the last where they were really competitive, even if they were slowly being outclassed as the teams got a handle on the 2014+ regulations.
2017 on it was a rapid decline.

Posts: 15323 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Probably a lot of reasons for the Williams decline but putting Claire in charge was among the worst mistakes.
She turbocharged the downward trend.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I found this a couple of months ago and forgot to post it. Proof that Max Verstappen really is human:

posted Hide Post
^^^ I think it's also nice to see that Red Bull is fallible as well. All is not lost that maybe there MIGHT be a bit of entertainment this season at the top of the grid. But I'm not willing to hold my breath.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Sainz having nothing to lose should give some theatrics. Just has to remember every drive is pretty much an audition for another drive.

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
LOL

"Max Verstappen having a Max Verstappen pillow is the most Max Verstappen thing to ever Verstappen"

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I think IF Williams will flex to the new system, gain efficiency, allowing them the resources to develop and catch up, but really that is the same problem all the teams have.

Also, I cant help it, I am having a lot of fun rooting for Valtteri Bottas these days:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redstone,

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
More incompetence from Williams:

https://racer.com/2024/04/04/s...t-spare-until-miami/

quote:
Sargeant gets repaired chassis; Williams without spare until Miami
Chris Medland April 4, 2024 8:50 AM ET

Logan Sargeant will use the repaired Williams chassis at the Japanese Grand Prix, as the team is not likely to have a spare until Miami next month.

Alex Albon’s crash in FP1 in Melbourne exposed Williams’ lack of a third chassis, with the team opting to give Sargeant’s car to Albon for the rest of the race weekend and withdraw the Floridian. The damaged chassis was repaired back at the factory and is ready for the upcoming race in Japan, but Sargeant says there won’t be a back-up in Suzuka or at the next race in China.

“It’s the repaired one, just because the workload to switch the cars back over would be far too much for the mechanics,” Sargeant said of his designated chassis for this weekend. “But the chassis repair went better than expected, so it should be perfectly normal as far as I’m aware. [The spare] should be ready for Miami.”

The repaired chassis is an estimated 100 grams heavier as a result of the work done on it, but Sargeant said the lack of a third option will not play on his mind this weekend.

“I don’t think we had really… at least, I hadn’t thought about it before that,” he said of the lack of a spare. “When I see Alex crash, the first thing that goes through my head is I know we’re down on spares and it’s going to back us up.

“Of course I was a little bit concerned for where we stood as a team, but it’s one of the hard parts that we’ve had to deal with through the start of the season, not having those big safety nets. I think it’s somewhere that as a team we’re really trying to develop to be better and get more on top of that early in the season.

“It’s a situation we had to deal with through the first three races. We went to Saudi with the same situation and of course it’s one of those things that you know you have to be careful, but at the same time, you can’t be. It’s Formula 1 — if you’re careful, you’re nowhere. So it’s really not even a question. You have to be committed, confident and hope nothing goes wrong!”

After dealing with the blow of being unable to race in Melbourne due to Williams team principal James Vowles’ decision to switch the chassis between drivers, Sargeant says he managed to recharge with a spell in Bali and gain perspective of how best to respond.

“I think it’s an absolute necessity a lot of times in the year to be able to find those little gaps to get away from it, be with people who help fill you with energy and keep you going through the season,” he said. “I wouldn’t relate that just to a situation like Melbourne — I think it’s just how you have to break up the season.

“The funny part of that is I probably feel better psychologically. After having a week away, you see things from a different perspective. I’ve had a decent start to the year, it hasn’t shown up in quali yet — I think it would have in Melbourne — so I’m just continuing with that mindset that I’m close to where I need to be. It’s gonna start this weekend.”

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
Also, I cant help it, I am having a lot of fun rooting for Valtteri Bottas these days:

I've been a VB77 fan since 2014. Bummed he hasn't had a car to fight with.

Suzuka this weekend! Easily my #1 track.
Coworker gave the hypothetical of an all expenses paid F1 trip. I answered Suzuka before he finished the question Big Grin

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I think IF Williams will flex to the new system, gain efficiency, allowing them the resources to develop and catch up, but really that is the same problem all the teams have.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xVhRm0eJ4A4?si=7muET7nsHLH1sCCM" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

This made me a fan and I don’t even follow F1 very closely. That video is so excellent. Big Grin

F1’s investment group recently seems to have purchased my favorite race series (MotoGP) so hopefully they don’t fuck it up. The beloved Grid Girls seem safe for now but the whole situation has me worried.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bottas has definitely been having more fun since leaving Mercedes.

Seems to have become quite the cyclist as well.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
More incompetence from Williams:

https://racer.com/2024/04/04/s...t-spare-until-miami/

quote:
Sargeant gets repaired chassis; Williams without spare until Miami
Chris Medland April 4, 2024 8:50 AM ET

Logan Sargeant will use the repaired Williams chassis at the Japanese Grand Prix, as the team is not likely to have a spare until Miami next month.

Alex Albon’s crash in FP1 in Melbourne exposed Williams’ lack of a third chassis, with the team opting to give Sargeant’s car to Albon for the rest of the race weekend and withdraw the Floridian. The damaged chassis was repaired back at the factory and is ready for the upcoming race in Japan, but Sargeant says there won’t be a back-up in Suzuka or at the next race in China.

“It’s the repaired one, just because the workload to switch the cars back over would be far too much for the mechanics,” Sargeant said of his designated chassis for this weekend. “But the chassis repair went better than expected, so it should be perfectly normal as far as I’m aware. [The spare] should be ready for Miami.”

The repaired chassis is an estimated 100 grams heavier as a result of the work done on it, but Sargeant said the lack of a third option will not play on his mind this weekend.

“I don’t think we had really… at least, I hadn’t thought about it before that,” he said of the lack of a spare. “When I see Alex crash, the first thing that goes through my head is I know we’re down on spares and it’s going to back us up.

“Of course I was a little bit concerned for where we stood as a team, but it’s one of the hard parts that we’ve had to deal with through the start of the season, not having those big safety nets. I think it’s somewhere that as a team we’re really trying to develop to be better and get more on top of that early in the season.

“It’s a situation we had to deal with through the first three races. We went to Saudi with the same situation and of course it’s one of those things that you know you have to be careful, but at the same time, you can’t be. It’s Formula 1 — if you’re careful, you’re nowhere. So it’s really not even a question. You have to be committed, confident and hope nothing goes wrong!”

After dealing with the blow of being unable to race in Melbourne due to Williams team principal James Vowles’ decision to switch the chassis between drivers, Sargeant says he managed to recharge with a spell in Bali and gain perspective of how best to respond.

“I think it’s an absolute necessity a lot of times in the year to be able to find those little gaps to get away from it, be with people who help fill you with energy and keep you going through the season,” he said. “I wouldn’t relate that just to a situation like Melbourne — I think it’s just how you have to break up the season.

“The funny part of that is I probably feel better psychologically. After having a week away, you see things from a different perspective. I’ve had a decent start to the year, it hasn’t shown up in quali yet — I think it would have in Melbourne — so I’m just continuing with that mindset that I’m close to where I need to be. It’s gonna start this weekend.”

To be fair, it’s the same incompetence. All gets back to not having a spare chassis in the first place.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
All gets back to not having a spare chassis in the first place.

The real question for that is "why?" right?

It seems to be a combination of late development, available cash and possibly limited time/personnel/other resources?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Buxton tweeted thst there were other teams that did not have a spare chasis.