SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD **
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD ** Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
According to IMDB (I think, or maybe I dreamed it), the reason for the non use of the 5th Gen fighters was the mounting of cameras in the cockpits would reveal too much classified equipment, removal of which was not practicable.

It also only comes as a single-seater, and at the time the movie was made, was only just being certified by the Navy/USAF.

FA-18s - not so much - and more space available.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
According to IMDB (I think, or maybe I dreamed it), the reason for the non use of the 5th Gen fighters was the mounting of cameras in the cockpits would reveal too much classified equipment, removal of which was not practicable.

FA-18s - not so much - and more space available.

As stated a couple of times earlier today. The recent chatter was about the lame excuse given in the movie for not using the F-35 in the target package.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Hey, I’ve heard there are no two-seat F-35s. I’m betting that’s the reason they weren’t chosen for the film!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aside from there not being any two seat F-35s, there were very few F-35C (the USN version) at all back in 2019 when much of the movie was filmed, and none at Top Gun. I don’t believe the F-35C even had it’s first operational deployment as part of a carrier air wing until the last year or two. Secrecy aside, if you wanted to use real aircraft, the F-35 was never a practical option.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We haven’t been to a movie in years. This one was a great reintroduction to the big screen. Much better than I expected.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
As stated a couple of times earlier today. The recent chatter was about the lame excuse given in the movie for not using the F-35 in the target package.

Guessing that the line "well the pentagon told us no F35's for the movie" didn't work

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly sure they didn't get three real SU-57s and a Hind-D either, but it didn't stop them. Also, why was it okay for Maverick and Rooster to fake it with a static display F-14, but not with F-35s? Roll Eyes

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went and saw Maverick today. My family surprised me for Father’s Day.

All I can say is it was a great movie. I’ve no desire to nippick it.

Thought I was back in the 80s. So much fun.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Definitely not a documentary

The documentary would have been 3 minutes and involved a single B-2 and two F-22s on station

Big Grin

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But, but, but, the site is GPS jammed so you can’t use B2’s or F22’s. lol

Fun movie not exactly a template for mission planning.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift:

Hangman (Glen Powell) also plays a Navy pilot
in the upcoming “Devotion,” set during the
Korean Conflict.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt7693316/

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
I'm fairly sure they didn't get three real SU-57s and a Hind-D either, but it didn't stop them. Also, why was it okay for Maverick and Rooster to fake it with a static display F-14, but not with F-35s? Roll Eyes

Those were all minor scenes (time wise). Having legit fighters doing the bulk of the action made the movie. CGI is good but not that good. Besides the major threat was the Hornet pilots were supposed to be outgunned by the newer jets. Despite all the issues with the 35, our stuff is the best in the world, it wouldn’t be a contest F-35 vs Russian junk.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
Like many here, I had not gone to a movie in years. This one was great. Very enjoyable. Loved the "what were you thinking" scene.

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I hadn’t gone to the movies since 2019. Top Gun Maverick and the MANY positive reviews got me back in the theater. There is not much my 12 year old son and 10 year old daughter agree on but both of them looked over at me during the credits and told me this was the best film they had ever seen.

I can honestly say I cannot remember a time in my life I immediately wanted to watch a film again having just watched it for the first time. I FRICKING LOVED this movie!

This was a FUN movie and I loved it! It was everything I was hoping it would be and so damn much more enjoyable than I was expecting. It exceeded my expectations quite a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Late to the game and just got to watch this last night.

After reading through this thread I am glad I am not a military/fighter jet knowledgeable guy.

Because I absolutely loved this movie. I thought they absolutely knocked it out of the park!

My biggest gripe was they mirrored the original so well I could not believe that when Maverick went over to Penny’s house he did not say he was going to take a shower.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just got home from seeing this at the local movie grill. Really enjoyed it, having a burger & a beer with it was a bonus.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
That was the best movie I’ve seen in a long time. It gave me exactly what I wanted in the film.

I said I wasn’t going to see this in the theater as a protest to then delaying it so many times to get bigger numbers. But so many reviews said to see it in the theater so I broke down. I’m very glad I did.

ETA: Please ignore that last part, it appears to be a distraction from the real point of my posts that this was a fantastic movie.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pale Horse,

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t necessarily say all the delays were the production team & crew’s fault. I got the feeling Tom and everyone involved were bummed out by the delays. In any case it was well worth the wait. Top Gun is a hell of a movie so attempting to make a good sequel is a daunting task. They did an exquisite job. Cool

I wasn’t super excited by some of the rumors and lies circulating prior to its release. I was happy to see the one gripe I had over Taiwan’s flag being removed from Mavericks jacket didn’t happen. There were cheers in the theater in Taiwan when they saw his jacket was unchanged from the original Top Gun. Big Grin

I went to see it because of the hype and many, many, many, positive reviews I read. It VASTLY exceeded my expectations. I can’t think of a time in the last ten years, hell maybe twenty when I had that much fun at the movie theater. I’m glad to see it’s been a financial success.
Top Gun Maverick hauls in over $1 billion worldwide

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I certainly didn’t mean to imply that the delays were the crews fault. But when it was supposed to be released last year the executives pulled it to get a larger box office crowd out of fears numbers would still be too low.

Whatever, I’m glad they finally released it and it exceeded my expectations as well. Even though everyone I talked to said they loved it I was still worried it would come up short, but it did not. I too was glad to see the flag.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pale Horse,

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post