SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD **
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD ** Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Which one of those is Gen 5?

None of the above. MiG-29 is 4th gen. The MiG-31 is an interceptor (very long range, very fast in a straight line, lousy at any kind of 'dogfight' maneuvering, like the US F-102/104/106), and it is basically an upgraded MiG-25, so I would assume it is a gen 4, at best.

The bad guys in this movie were Sukhoi Su-47s.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Su-47s had an unusual forward swept wing. The bad guys were Su-57s.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Man that Su-47 is a ugly bird, IMO. Odd that it's asymmetrical at the rear, too.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15288 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Su-47s had an unusual forward swept wing. The bad guys were Su-57s.

Correct. They never mass-produced the -47s. I was off by 10. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They really worked hard to keep the identity of the "rogue state" in this movie a mystery because it seemed like it could have been Russia...or Norway...or North Korea. Big Grin

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
It was South Dakota. Razz

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^

WTH? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16194 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^

WTH? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Tired of living in North Dakota's shadow.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
They really worked hard to keep the identity of the "rogue state" in this movie a mystery because it seemed like it could have been Russia...or Norway...or North Korea. Big Grin

I’m just going to imagine it’s the woke state. Cuz I’m sure they are pissed about the movie cuz too much Murica up in it. Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Maverick is now in the top 10 of highest grossing films of all time. It even surpassed “The Avengers”.

https://collider.com/top-gun-m...estic-grossing-film/

This article indicates that the film is not done yet and could get in turf that only Disney owns, namely Marvel and Star Wars films in the all time records of domestic box office records.

To me this is a clear signal that people want to go to the movie or as my Grandad used to say “the picture show” and NOT be fucking preached at. Just a good story, and done well. People have had enough woke shit and Maverick is a clear indicator of that.

It also makes the heart smile that it fucked Disney up three ways to Sunday. Now Tommy Boy, hurry up and release my prepaid and preordered 4k Dolby Cinema disc so I can enjoy the film!

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Maverick is now in the top 10 of highest grossing films of all time. It even surpassed “The Avengers”.

Anything that beats the stupid Avengers BS is alright in my book!

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
This article indicates that the film is not done yet and could get in turf that only Disney owns, namely Marvel and Star Wars films in the all time records of domestic box office records.

It also makes the heart smile that it fucked Disney up three ways to Sunday.

Wait until Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Parts 1&2, aka M:I 7&8 come out. Tom is a very productive filmmaker.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's a fantastic movie and deserves everything it earns, but you could also attribute its success to the fact that this is the first major release in a theater is two years. People were starving for a reason to go back to the theater. It just so happens that the first major release was also a good movie.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:

It's a fantastic movie and deserves everything it earns, but you could also attribute its success to the fact that this is the first major release in a theater is two years. People were starving for a reason to go back to the theater. It just so happens that the first major release was also a good movie.

Yeah but it’s busting Marvel’s ass. Wasn’t the Dr. Strange and Thor LT released in theaters? I think people have been starved for American action film where no preaching and woke agenda in it. Just action, good story, done well. Each to their own though.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
True. You're right, the audience has grown tired of most comic-related media.

Hell, I'm a huge fanboy and haven't even bothered going to see either of those in the theater, but saw Maverick twice.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Wait until Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Parts 1&2, aka M:I 7&8 come out. Tom is a very productive filmmaker.

That's kinda how I describe Top Gun:Maverick... it's Top Gun combined w/ Mission Impossible.

But, having said that, despite its flaws, I thoroughly enjoyed it... so much so that after I watched it the first time and walked out of the theater I realized I wanted to see it again and circled back for a back-to-back viewing.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Today was a first. First I turned 65 today and a first watch of Maverick today. The movie was fantastic I thought. I still remember seeing Top Gun in 86 and thirty-six years later, the sequel was just right. While a heart murmur kept me from flying in the military one week before flying to FT. Rucker, my time as a crew chief helped give me insight I wouldn't have had. While Tom Cruise as a person has a ton of issues, as an actor, he is a true star. Now I can't wait for Mission:Impossible which comes out next year.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 239 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I'll see it when it hits a streaming service. Can't stand the thought of giving Tom money. Especially after how I heard he and his crew treated sailors on a carrier.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Maverick will be on demand tomorrow, August 23rd. I know it will be on Prime Video for $19.99.

Those of us who’ve preordered the 4k Dolby Cinema disc, they’ve pushed out the 4k disc and 1080p Blu Ray until November 1st. Frown

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
I'll see it when it hits a streaming service. Can't stand the thought of giving Tom money. Especially after how I heard he and his crew treated sailors on a carrier.

The USN says that whole alleged incident is bullshit, I’ll bet a Millennial/Snowflake type onboard got all butthurt about something and started the whole thing:

Navy denies reports that Tom Cruise was rude to Sailors and arrogant while filming scenes from the Top Gun sequel aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt in San Diego