SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD **
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD ** Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
In the last act, Miles Teller disobeys the RTB order and returns to save Tom Cruise from a Hind helicopter, but gets downed by a SAM. How much trouble would he be in? He disobeyed orders and lost a Hornet, but saved Tom Cruise. Is that the end of Rooster's Navy career?

I can't say what today's US Navy leadership would do but a very similar real life incident occurred during the Korean War, that you can read about in the book Devotion, out for several years now, or watch in the just-released movie by the same name and being discussed in this thread.

"Devotion" - Coming to Theaters November 2022

At the time of this incident the pilot involved thought he would be court martialed for his actions, but instead received a commendation for his heroism.

ETA: see this newly posted discussion of a rescue during the Vietnam War. Although it didn't explicitly involve breaking an order, it is most definitely an example of heroism under fire.

Apollo’s Warriors USAF SpcOps during the Cold War

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Hmmm Roll Eyes

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the last act, Miles Teller disobeys the RTB order and returns to save Tom Cruise from a Hind helicopter, but gets downed by a SAM. How much trouble would he be in? He disobeyed orders and lost a Hornet, but saved Tom Cruise. Is that the end of Rooster's Navy career?

In this case, he would be a hero. Assuming the Navy/DoD hyped the raid as a 'daring and courageous' event, Rooster AND Maverick would be national celebrities. . . The Navy would conveniently omit the part where he disobeyed orders.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

If an action ultimately turns-out to be successful and/or, puts the Navy in a positive-light, then all-good. Probably get a speaking to about 'what should've happened' however nobody wants to be the one to pour cold water on a positive outcome.

If the action goes tits-up and becomes an incident, where other government entities have to get involved, then his career is toast, and higher up has to get involved to explain to their bosses, what happened and why.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
They might have lost a Hornet, but they got one of Eye-Ran's the enemy's Tomcat. That's a good trade. Smile

Posts: 2661 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Hmmm Roll Eyes

Yep, the similarities were very obvious.

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 126 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Notice Scott O'Grady was memory-holed after his hero's return from getting shot down over Bosnia? In public, a hero. But he disappeared fast...

Flip side is in Navy circles MiG killers become almost untouchable. Get the good kill, like Maverick did in the first movie, you really need to screw up to not make flag. So it is likely the Navy would cover up disobeying orders bit as long as the end result is good press. And maybe a pre-written letter of resignation slipped in with the awards and promotions to go with the press releases.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have to say that I don't understand all this excitement and interest in this movie. Honest to goodness, I do not get it. Tom Cruise is 60, and he's a hotshot fighter pilot? Not to mention, he's Tom Cruise, who in real life appears to be a genuine whacko.

What is so great about this movie? This is the extent of my interest in this thing. People have been talking about this movie for months. To me, though, it looks like nothing more than Hollywood sausage grinder crap.

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Not to mention, he's Tom Cruise, who in real life appears to be a genuine whacko.
My goodness, if I watched only things that didn't have whacko Hollyweird types in it, there'd be precious little left to watch

quote:
What is so great about this movie?
It's got jet aeroplanes 'n carrier ops 'n stuff Smile

Yeah, Tom Cruise as an aging test pilot and Top Gun instructor is a stretch. The main plot line is likewise a stretch.

I think maybe nostalgia for the original Top Gun is mainly it for many?

In fact: The night after watching Top Gun: Maverick, we watched the original Top Gun.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
It is a good ole' fashioned America First movie. Not some preachy, PC/Woke America uses it's military to the detriment of some poor nation, and some liberal actor becomes the good guy by condemning American policy on screen, hoping to get an Oscar nomination from it.

Plus using traditional practical effects as much as possible vs having all the flying being done with CGI.

As for Mr Scientology:
quote:
When I saw Tom Cruise in Valkyrie I PUKED IN MY MOUTH

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to say that I don't understand all this excitement and interest in this movie. Honest to goodness, I do not get it. Tom Cruise is 60, and he's a hotshot fighter pilot? Not to mention, he's Tom Cruise, who in real life appears to be a genuine whacko.

What is so great about this movie? This is the extent of my interest in this thing. People have been talking about this movie for months. To me, though, it looks like nothing more than Hollywood sausage grinder crap.

Nostalgia is huge with this to start. The flight scenes are great and actual flight scenes not CGI (for the most part), the story line is actually good and an actual continuation of the original and not a reboot.
It is not woke in the slightest.
Did I mention the flight scenes???
Best movie to come out of Hollywood in a very long time.
Tom Cruise yup he is a bit of a whacko but he is a good actor.
He does the majority of his stunts and lots of flying in this.

Did you enjoy the original??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Did you enjoy the original??
I can't say that I did. Perhaps the portion of it I didn't see was really good. That would be most of the movie. The whole thing was difficult to take seriously. Then again, I've long been a film snob.

Non-CGI, non-woke, America kicking ass- all very good things.

I got just one more question- How many phone books did they have to stack on that fighter seat for ol' Tom? Smile

OK, yeah, there are no more phone books, but I didn't know what to replace them with.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Considering the landscape of current action/adventure/sci-fi/fantasy movies that Hollywood has pumped-out, this movie is a refreshing departure. There's no Mary Jane/lady-boss character, denigrating/insulting the male characters isn't essential to any of the female characters, there's no contemporary social-sexual plot-point, the US is portrayed as strong and justified in its use of force, and the use of CGI was largely limited as filming was on location, to include inside the cockpit.

Anybody saying this movie is ground breaking, is loosing touch with reality. It's a much better airplane movie than the first one, period. The fan-boys and the gen-Z types who are what if-ing this thing into the ground, displays more about their lack of understanding of how the world works or, any world perspective. Reddit is a horrible place to visit. Many questions revolve around how the military works, the vast majority of the general public have never served in the military, don't know of anybody in the military or, their understanding of the military is very limited. A sad commentary on the state of our public service and the military's position within the general citizenry.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I watched this movie twice recently, once on my flight to Honolulu and once on the flight back.

It was good, mindless entertainment.

I also saw a flick called American Underdog, a true story about Kurt Warner who became a hall of fame football player. I highly recommend it.

And I saw Waterman, a true story about Duke Kahanamoku that I also highly recommend.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
These are all good things.

Do any sandwiches get made in the movie?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's just a good old fashioned American action movie.

On a flight home two months ago, I started Maverick up as people were still boarding. A young boy, 7 or 8, was walking by and looked at my screen during the opening scenes. His eyes got wide and he said, "ohhh, what are you watching?" I simply said with a grin, "Top Gun, young man. I'm watching Top Gun."

His mother chuckled as she nudged the kid along and he kept trying to watch. One of my favorite memories on a flight.

I've seen Maverick three times.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got just one more question- How many phone books did they have to stack on that fighter seat for ol' Tom? Smile
Apparently none?

I actually just spent time researching this. Tom Cruise's height is alleged by him to be 5'7". Wikidata says it's 5'7", too.

The Navy's minimum height requirement appears to be 5'4".

Smile
quote:
Do any sandwiches get made in the movie?
I do not recall seeing any sammiches being made in the movie, no Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm going with the theory that Maverick died when his Darkstar aircraft disintegrated at Mach 10.2 and everything we see from that point forward is a dream that flashed through his head in the final few seconds of his life. It's all too dream-like and fantastic with the right people at the right place at the right time and just generic enough an "enemy" that this theory could be what is happening.

Posts: 33810 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It’s a great action movie where Tom Cruise and several actors were put in the back seat of an F/A-18 Super Hornet and tortured by some of the Navy’s best pilots and filmed in IMAX capturing some of the most realistic airplane footage ever seen on film.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Apparently, the mission was more plausible than some of us thought.

https://youtu.be/rQh9qTqd7X8

Posts: 11166 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post