SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD **
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD ** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
That was the best movie I’ve seen in a long time. It gave me exactly what I wanted in the film.

I said I wasn’t going to see this in the theater as a protest to then delaying it so many times to get bigger numbers. But so many reviews said to see it in the theater so I broke down. I’m very glad I did.

The producers made a significant investment into the video aspects of this movie, this may have been lost in the initial run-up as the marketing & press hype was overly-focused (more like fixated) on Cruise, new jets, cynical jabs about another 'homo-errotic testosterone' movie, etc. With pandemic in full-effect when this movie was scheduled to be released, the studios made a big gamble that the movie 'deserves' to have its initial release in a theater...meanwhile theater operators were facing some serious financial chaos and streaming services were exploding. Like a Christopher Nolan or, Ridely Scott movie, these movies are best watched on a large format that only a theater can deliver.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Alright fellas I’m sorry I brought it up. I only did because I said something about not going to see it in another thread and I figured someone would bring it up if I didn’t mention it here.

Clearly that’s the only part of my post that will be focused on so my apologies, I’m going to go edit it. I’m not trying to take away from the awesomeness of the movie or argue about what studio executives care about most.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
It had to be delayed during COVID, the worldwide panic would have made the roll out a flop, since nobody was either allowed or going outside for quite a while.

Producers rightfully predicted that putting it out after everyone was finally getting back outside would result in a major increase in attendance with the back up of demand to get out and "do stuff" happened.

Still, great movie and even better in IMAX

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Yea this is a “push the I believe button” movie. Enjoy the popcorn, drink your soda, and soak in the fun. It ain’t a real mission, it’s a movie.
Agreed. It ain't a friggin' documentary!! Wink

LOL that's the truth, it's entertainment, not documentary, sometimes things are just for enjoyment.

I’m convinced that many people don’t like being happy.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally got around to seeing it. Yes, it was worth the money and my time. I thoroughly enjoyed the film.

Aside from the movie, I got to pondering upon the military strength of the USA...we take a fleet carrier off-line, so to speak, to use it as a prop for a movie. We're just that good.
s.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sorenson:
Aside from the movie, I got to pondering upon the military strength of the USA...we take a fleet carrier off-line, so to speak, to use it as a prop for a movie. We're just that good.
s.

The Navy should be grateful. They have a substantial marketing budget, but nothing they spend would make a better recruiting video than Top Gun.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
This was the first movie I have seen in a theatre with Wifey in almost 3 years. It was a great experience and the movie totally lived up to the hype!

Posts: 3146 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Pre-order for the 4k blu ray is available now on Amazon. Just ordered. Should release sometime next month.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Pre-order for the 4k blu ray is available now on Amazon. Just ordered. Should release sometime next month.

Have you watched the original on 4K disc? Is it worth it to buy as well over the regular?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
This was the first movie I have seen in a theatre with Wifey in almost 3 years. It was a great experience and the movie totally lived up to the hype!

It had been about three years since I’d seen a movie in the theater as well. I agree it was one heck of a way to return to the cinemas. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Have you watched the original on 4K disc? Is it worth it to buy as well over the regular?

Nope. It’s well reviewed though.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies...n-4K-Blu-ray/265018/

I pre-ordered the 2 film set. It’s $39.99 on Amazon for the OG and Maverick both on 4k disc. I figured for the extra $10 I’ll take the original film as well.

The thing with transfers onto 4k, it’s a big difference between say films in the last 10 years compared to old films. Old movies shot on film instead of digital, and at best 5.1. Film can transfer well to 4k, just depends on how well the transfer was done. But it’s night and day compared to newer releases that were shot in 2k, 4k, and had Dolby Atmos from the rip.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
I pre-ordered the 2 film set. It’s $39.99 on Amazon for the OG and Maverick both on 4k disc. I figured for the extra $10 I’ll take the original film as well.

Me too. Can't wait.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Saw it today with my father and my two sons. It was predictable as all get out. Both my sons told me to stop telling them what was going to happen next. I even got the dialog right a few times. I did get one thing wrong. I knew he was going to prove the mission could be done, but really thought he was going to do it in the P-51.

I agree with what people have said about the young guns bar scene. Some of the throwback stuff was good, the inverted flight scene. Some of it wasn’t, the love interest driving a newer old Porsche.

Overall, we enjoyed it though.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
@Prefontaine

Thanks for the heads up, I preordered.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the interesting little throwback references (to me at least) was to the scene in the original movie where Goose taps the fuel gauge and says "we gotta get out of here - we're way low on gas".

In TG Maverick, there is just a very quick shot of the fuel gauge in the F-14 that Maverick and Rooster escape in. No comments just a quick 1 second shot.

Interesting to me because my Father In Law was founder/Pres/CEO of the company that designed and built the fuel gauging system on the Tomcat. He saw a special screening of the original Top Gun in a theater at Grumman's plant with other sub contractors, Pentagon brass and a lot of cheering Navy pilots. Maybe one of you pilots was there in 1986 also?

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I was disappointed the two-star Admiral who appeared with Jon Hamm Admiral's as his XO wasn't Sundown from Top Gun 1986, I was certain that was him when he first walked in, now THAT would have been some serious fan service!

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
In TG Maverick, there is just a very quick shot of the fuel gauge in the F-14 that Maverick and Rooster escape in. No comments just a quick 1 second shot.

Followed soon after by "Come on Mav, do some of that pilot shit!" Smile

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I was disappointed the two-star Admiral who appeared with Jon Hamm Admiral's as his XO wasn't Sundown from Top Gun 1986, I was certain that was him when he first walked in, now THAT would have been some serious fan service!

Early drafts & info indicated that the two-star was indeed Sundown. When the first trailer was released in 2019, I looked up info on TG: Maverick on IMDB, Wikipedia, etc. They had the Black admiral listed as Sundown, even though the actor was different than the one from 1986. Turns out he's Warlock.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Which one of those is Gen 5?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post