SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD **
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD ** Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I'll be damned.

I would not have expected that at all. Thanks for the share, Skull Leader

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Cruise may be a wacky Hollywood nut who prays to spaceships, but man you cannot take away his balls of steel or dedication to his craft. The dude is pressing 60 and talking in a conversational tone while free falling.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Did you enjoy the original??
I can't say that I did. Perhaps the portion of it I didn't see was really good. That would be most of the movie. The whole thing was difficult to take seriously. Then again, I've long been a film snob.

Non-CGI, non-woke, America kicking ass- all very good things.

I got just one more question- How many phone books did they have to stack on that fighter seat for ol' Tom? Smile

OK, yeah, there are no more phone books, but I didn't know what to replace them with.

I was one of the few that did not pay money to see the 1986 Top Gun in a theater. But I did pay to see Tom Cruise's other 1986 film The Color of Money (also Aliens, Blue Velvet, etc). I saw Top Gun years later on cable TV, and at the time, I really did not get the appeal, why it was so popular. And I still feel that way when I saw it last year on TV again.

But Top Gun Maverick is different, I liked it, I enjoyed it. I paid money to see it based on my son's recommendation to see it on a big screen and he was right. It seems like eons since Hollywood has made a film like this. I much prefer an older mature Tom Cruise to his younger self, and I thought he did well. But then I liked some of his other films in recent years- the first Jack Reacher, Edge of Tomorrow, Oblivion. I just re-watched Maverick last week on BluRay (from the library) and there were some things/dialog I missed, and again, an enjoyable movie.

But yes, his height (lack of) is fairly noticeable nowadays, maybe he just doesn't try to hide it with platform lifts. The guy had moments of oddity years ago, but at least he's not an idiot woke leftist crybaby, seems he keeps political and societal comments out of his work.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Cruise may be a wacky Hollywood nut who prays to spaceships, but man you cannot take away his balls of steel or dedication to his craft. The dude is pressing 60 and talking in a conversational tone while free falling.

We were watching the Bengals and Bucaneers game when this commercial came on and I pretty much said the exact same thing to my wife.

I said that fella is a kookadoo but when it comes to stunts, flying, acting, and putting out great movies the dude is legit.
I said he is skydiving/free falling am talking like he was sitting at the table eating chicken with us.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

The guy knows he's an entertainer. He did the same thank you to the audience for Maverick, while we'll never know how genuine he is about thanking fans and ticket buyers, at least he doesn't hide behind a risk adverse PR team. He seems to have understood that with all the changes in motion pictures, the introduction of streaming content and the risk it possess to theaters, he's at least will to try and connect with the audience with a simple message. Contrast that to many other celebrities who have some special interest pitch, an angle they're trying to deliver or, a cringe worthy sing along, ol'Tom just rolls out a simple thank you.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a 9:22 video about how Tom trained to do a motorcycle and then BASE (buildings, antennas, spans, earth) jump for the next MI film.

https://youtu.be/WLtpQpKY7fw

Article with the video:

https://boundingintocomics.com...-reckoning-part-one/

One of these days the insurance company is going to say ENOUGH!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
There was an Academy Awards luncheon on Monday and Steven Spielberg told Tom Cruise- "You saved Hollywood’s ass, and, you might have saved theatrical distribution. Seriously. Maverick might have saved the entire theatrical industry."

https://www.breitbart.com/ente...th-top-gun-maverick/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
There was an Academy Awards luncheon on Monday and Steven Spielberg told Tom Cruise- "You saved Hollywood’s ass, and, you might have saved theatrical distribution. Seriously. Maverick might have saved the entire theatrical industry."

https://www.breitbart.com/ente...th-top-gun-maverick/

Instead of stroking little Tom's ego, Hollywood needs to wake up and remember there are many movie goers that want something other than animated kid's movies, franchises older than most movie goers, CGI superhero movies, or Oscar-bait woke fests.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I actually watched this again last night.

Interesting article I found on the SR-72 Darkstar build for the movie. And the fact that supposedly the Chinese moved satellites to look at it in fear that the actual military had new tech.

Rumors have circulated for years that such a thing was in development.

https://www.space.com/top-gun-...wards-air-force-base

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
Instead of stroking little Tom's ego, Hollywood needs to wake up and remember there are many movie goers that want something other than animated kid's movies, franchises older than most movie goers, CGI superhero movies, or Oscar-bait woke fests.

Or we could start with good movies like Top Gun: Maverick and work our way up...

Posts: 4176 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Interesting article I found on the SR-72 Darkstar build for the movie. And the fact that supposedly the Chinese moved satellites to look at it in fear that the actual military had new tech.

Wasn't the stealth fighter just a rumor until they rolled it out of the hanger and revealed it. (IIRC it was in development for 10 years before it was finally leaked.)

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
It's out on Amazon Prime as part of their streaming service. Finally watched. Not a bad movie. Even if it took a lot of liberties with Navy and Naval Aviation.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even if it took a lot of liberties with Navy and Naval Aviation.

Almost like a movie huh? Smile Wink Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Late to the party. I watched it last night and although a lot of it was corny and far fetched, I was entertained.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Apparently, the mission was more plausible than some of us thought.

https://youtu.be/rQh9qTqd7X8

Having just watched this, I guess not so far fetched after all.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Apparently, the mission was more plausible than some of us thought.

https://youtu.be/rQh9qTqd7X8

Having just watched this, I guess not so far fetched after all.

Ward Carroll's Youtube channel is well worth keeping an eye on.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Wasn't the stealth fighter just a rumor until they rolled it out of the hanger and revealed it. (IIRC it was in development for 10 years before it was finally leaked.)

There were rumors in the late 1980s about a stealthy hypersonic aircraft called 'Aurora.' I even read an entire book about it - the author made a very compelling case. I actually believe it existed. Of course, the DoD cannot confirm or deny. . .

We flew the CIA version of the SR-71 back in 1963 - don't tell me we haven't made ANY improvements sin the past 60 years.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post