SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD **
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD ** Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
I'll see it when it hits a streaming service. Can't stand the thought of giving Tom money. Especially after how I heard he and his crew treated sailors on a carrier.

The USN says that whole alleged incident is bullshit, I’ll bet a Millennial/Snowflake type onboard got all butthurt about something and started the whole thing

I've been on some film sets... even a couple w/ some arguably A-list actors. It's not "working in the mines," but it is a grind. It's long hours, there are a lot of ppl involved, and they all need to be paid, fed, & housed (sort of like the military). The expenses add up very quickly.

There's a time to be an actor and a time to be a celebrity. A film set is a place to get work done. It is not a place for fans. On a carrier full of sailors, I think it's most likely & plausible that some sailors got butthurt, b/c Cruise didn't indulge their fan requests while he was working.

As far as, "Don't talk to the principal actors unless they initiate conversation w/ you. Don't take photos or draw attention to them," that's SOP on a film set.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I haven't been on a set, especially when big Navy is involved. I have met sailors who got to be around when J.A.G. and/or NCIS was on their base/ship filming. Other than Sasha Alexander, the rest of the cast and crew received positive comments from the sailors. Except for the F/A-18 pilot who had the pleasure of sitting next to Catherine Bell at lunch at the O'Club. She was in costume, and the pilot only saw the Marine uniform with the silver oak leaf. But not exactly her fault he choked.

I've read both sides to the Top Gun/TR story. Yes, during filming, no phones, don't talk/look at the cast in crew. AKA, be doing your job to make the flight deck filming authentic. I get that, and if a sailor is pissed because of that on a working flight deck, they need to get their shit sorted because a flight deck is still one of the deadliest places to work, and celebrity or not, you need to be focused on what YOU are doing. But I've heard stories from sailors on the TR that he and his crew were rude off camera, took over spaces including berthing, and just adopted a total diva attitude on the ship.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Damn that was good!

Caught myself yelling, "FUCK YEA!!" more than once. Big Grin

Not to sound too nostalgic but it certainly took me back to Ft. Sam when the first one came out. The theater by our barracks played that movie over and over and over. I don't even know how many times I've seen it.

Cruise done good with this one. Even a few old lines in there like, "C'mon Mav...do some of that pilot shit".

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
I'll see it when it hits a streaming service. Can't stand the thought of giving Tom money. Especially after how I heard he and his crew treated sailors on a carrier.

The USN says that whole alleged incident is bullshit, I’ll bet a Millennial/Snowflake type onboard got all butthurt about something and started the whole thing

I've been on some film sets... even a couple w/ some arguably A-list actors. It's not "working in the mines," but it is a grind. It's long hours, there are a lot of ppl involved, and they all need to be paid, fed, & housed (sort of like the military). The expenses add up very quickly.

There's a time to be an actor and a time to be a celebrity. A film set is a place to get work done. It is not a place for fans. On a carrier full of sailors, I think it's most likely & plausible that some sailors got butthurt, b/c Cruise didn't indulge their fan requests while he was working.

As far as, "Don't talk to the principal actors unless they initiate conversation w/ you. Don't take photos or draw attention to them," that's SOP on a film set.

This exactly. Time in virtually any location is limited so you have to make the most of every second. It’s a job, not a meet and greet.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
They filmed a movie at our hospital several years ago. It was the same deal. Our instructions were to generally stay away and let them work. I think everyone obeyed except a few docs. I imagine the same was true with officers on the ship.

Posts: 11341 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Has anyone brought up that Tom Cruise was made an honorary member of the US Navy so he could take a cat shot off the Teddy Roosevelt? That's nuts!

Posts: 11146 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

...Our instructions were to generally stay away and let them work...

Sounds familiar. They filmed a Perry Mason episode "The Case of the Avenging Ace" at Buckley Air Guard (now AF) Base outside Denver 30+ years ago. They were there on a drill weekend, may have stayed weeks for all I know.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095854/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Has anyone brought up that Tom Cruise was made an honorary member of the US Navy so he could take a cat shot off the Teddy Roosevelt? That's nuts!

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned here, but when I went to watch the movie for a second time last week they ran a small BTS video before the movie where Tom Cruise said that he and Jerry Bruckheimer were both made honorary members of the USN.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Hot Shots: Part Cruise

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Saw that Maverick was available on flight home Thursday. It's a shame that I had to watch it on a small airplane screen, but I couldn't pass it up.

Enjoyed it a great deal. Got a kick out of the "volleyball scene" redux. Haha.

Anyway, will definitely watch it again in a more proper venue.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30284 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Finally got around to taking my family to see it after my son's football game this past Saturday. There were 5 of us, and another family of 4. That was it in the entire theater (4:20 showing). It was great having the entire theater basically to ourselves.

We all really enjoyed the movie. My 11 YO said it was the best movie he's ever seen (we don't get out much). Big Grin

Posts: 5727 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I just found a YouTube channel where a guy puts the split thrust vectoring (from TGM) of the F-14 to the test and it turns out it’s actually a thing.

Granted it’s a flight sim but pretty cool nonetheless. I’ll see if I can find it a sec.

Here:
https://youtu.be/aOIvvq6GeWw

I’m on my phone so maybe someone else can embed.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9141 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Re-posting after forum server recovery.

quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
I just found a YouTube channel where a guy puts the split thrust vectoring (from TGM) of the F-14 to the test and it turns out it’s actually a thing.

Granted it’s a flight sim but pretty cool nonetheless. I’ll see if I can find it a sec.

Here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=...eWw&feature=youtu.be

I’m on my phone so maybe someone else can embed.

I watched TGM twice, back to back viewings in the same theater, and yet I somehow missed any mention of this in the story line dialogue...but yeah, this is worth an embed.

@ 11 minute DCS sim demo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=...eWw&feature=youtu.be

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$6 to rent on Redbox streaming…wow, I wished there was an IMAX in town when this came out! I’ve watched the original “a million times” since I first saw it when I was 5…Maverick did a nice job with the throwbacks. I couldn’t help but chuckle when Rooster marveled at the F-14’s swept-wing technology, and the ending scenes with the P51 and Porsche were just classic.

Five stars!

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get from an actual F-14 RIO

The maneuver is not improbable BUT, you're likely to induce a flat-spin (which F-14's were prone to) rather than a sharp/pirouette turn.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 14551 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'll be picking this up on 4k when it comes out. I loved this movie!

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaycat:
Saw it last night! Excellent!!!

Did anyone else get a star wars trench run vibe? The exhaust port 3 metets?(expected to hear about womp rats then)....oh, and targeting computer shuts off, drops two proton torp...er, smart bombs on the money.

I loved it. Best movie in a while.

Great movie. It was exactly like the Star Wars movies. We have to destroy the death star before it’s fully operational.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I'll be picking this up on 4k when it comes out. I loved this movie!

November 1st. Tom or the studio pushed the 4k disc release back to milk the streaming downloads. It was supposed to come out at the end of August. As long as they don’t push it back again. I’m tired of waiting but it’s just over a month now.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12556 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
In the last act, Miles Teller disobeys the RTB order and returns to save Tom Cruise from a Hind helicopter, but gets downed by a SAM. How much trouble would he be in? He disobeyed orders and lost a Hornet, but saved Tom Cruise. Is that the end of Rooster's Navy career?

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My double feature 4K UHD BluRay arrived this week. Still don’t have a 4K Tv but I can watch the Digital Copy.
I have watched both again and they both are SO GOOD.

If Hollywood put out movies like this consistently boy would we be in luck.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post