SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD **
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Gun - Maverick - ** SPOILER THREAD ** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Some enjoyable banter and analysis if you're into pulling it apart

Jell-O has already put out a number of podcast/recordings regarding the first movie and pilots involved.

Mooch as a former F-14 RIO weighs-in and attempts to monopolize the convo with Jell-O Wink

Posts: 14551 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
One large difference in this movie was the absence of sweat. It seems like every scene in the original, everyone was sweating. I think the only ones that didn't sweat in the original were the female leads, Tom Skerrett, and Michael Ironside.

Tony.

I mentioned that to my wife, no one was really sweating like in the first one.

I did ever realize that the sweating was a Tony Scott thing.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had to be a CGI jet, correct, or did they get one or two flying? I thought there were none left airworthy.

There aren't any airworthy left in the US. The article mentions that all of the static display planes have had their engines removed (as do all static display US military aircraft) but they went one step beyond that with the F-14. There is a "torsion box" made of titanium that is in the main fuselage that has to do with the sweeping of the wings. All static display aircraft have had this part destroyed, effectively grounding the aircraft as there is no way to control the wing sweep. Additionally the US had the equipment to make this torsion box destroyed so no more could be made as it used a special type of welding.

The only airworthy F-14's left in the world are in Iran.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw the movie last night. Easily the best film I've seen in awhile. It was entertaining, the planes were fantastic, even the story was fine. Bland no name enemy but it didn't negatively impact the story at all. Didn't even call them Mig's, just an anonymous fifth gen fighter. lol

Anyway, it was well done. Yes a fighter guy could tear it apart. I like Red October too though.

I would say a very good to great summer action flick.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
A few moments over the top, but overall thought the movie was great. Read that the Navy charged the film $11k per hour of F18 flight time. They didn't say how much they charged for 3 crashed/ blown up F18s though.... Wink

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
^ I'm sure the 3 F-18s combined didn't equal the cost of the Darkstar experimental craft that blew up.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18017 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Watched original TG again tonight, boy that F14 was a beautiful beast.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12301 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
In the first video that corsair posted, everyone agrees that for aesthetics and perception of power the F-14 can't be beat in cinema. I can't find fault with that observation; however, it's about time someone stepped up and made a movie about the Strike Eagle.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18017 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
In the first video that corsair posted, everyone agrees that for aesthetics and perception of power the F-14 can't be beat in cinema. I can't find fault with that observation; however, it's about time someone stepped up and made a movie about the Strike Eagle.

Saw a video years ago about why they used the Navy in the first movie. I guess they discussed the Air Force but the Air Force was a real pain to work with as they were much more difficult with security and tactics even demanding a security group be attached to filming. The Navy assigned a couple of yahoo pilots to monitor what they were doing and called it good.

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the first video that corsair posted, everyone agrees that for aesthetics and perception of power the F-14 can't be beat in cinema.

The Tomcat is a very charismatic airframe.
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
quote:

Saw a video years ago about why they used the Navy in the first movie. I guess they discussed the Air Force but the Air Force was a real pain to work with as they were much more difficult with security and tactics even demanding a security group be attached to filming. The Navy assigned a couple of yahoo pilots to monitor what they were doing and called it good.

USAF got Iron Eagle Big Grin

Not sure about yahoo pilots but, you can hear about the making of, straight from the guys who were managing it for the Navy

Posts: 14551 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
My wife and I saw TG Maverick this afternoon. My opinion? Meh. I found it to be very predictable and, well I won’t say boring, but think the first TG movie was better.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:

The Air Force must have had a change of heart since then because they've been in nearly every Michael Bay movie in the last twenty years.

posted Hide Post
'Chip' Berke, who is one of the Echelon Front principals with Jocko, talks about the movie.

...and yes, many of these pilots, SEALs and various other military vets all know each other, living around the San Diego area.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingfoot:
quote:
One large difference in this movie was the absence of sweat. It seems like every scene in the original, everyone was sweating. I think the only ones that didn't sweat in the original were the female leads, Tom Skerrett, and Michael Ironside.

Tony.

My wife watched the original Top Gun with me last Thursday so we’d be ready for Maverick on Friday. Halfway through the movie she turns to me and says “Why is everyone SO SWEATY!” Big Grin

Posts: 33573 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Two things that I noticed with the movie that seemed strange is they are Naval Aviators, whom you would think would know anything about any and all fighter jets.

When he moved the F-14 wings, Rooster asked why the wings were moving. They were also both amazed when the 5th generation fighter did it’s acrobatic maneuver.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kg5388:
Two things that I noticed with the movie that seemed strange is they are Naval Aviators, whom you would think would know anything about any and all fighter jets.

When he moved the F-14 wings, Rooster asked why the wings were moving. They were also both amazed when the 5th generation fighter did it’s acrobatic maneuver.

Do you not understand that if this were cars, Rooster is used to driving a 2022 Acura NSX and he just had to jump into a 1970 Pontiac GTO?

Posts: 33573 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Do you not understand that if this were cars, Rooster is used to driving a 2022 Acura NSX and he just had to jump into a 1970 Pontiac GTO?

I’m not a pilot but I know about the F-14 and the B1 both having swept wings and also know the old F-8 crusader that could pivot its wing to help with landing and takeoffs.

These are Top Gun pilots and as such It was just kinda strange to me that they wouldn’t know the characteristics of each and every plane they might come up against.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
These are Top Gun pilots and as such It was just kinda strange to me that they wouldn’t know the characteristics of each and every plane they might come up against.
Just as not all cops are gun nuts, not all fighter pilots are nerds for other fighters.

Is it even possible or necessary to identify your adversary, when most engagements are beyond visual range now? Can the radar tell the pilot what kind of fighter he is facing in order to adjust tactics?

That said, it's improbable that Rooster does not know about the F-14, since he was already a toddler when Goose died. He was well aware that daddy used to fly that model, and most likely has memorabilia related to it. At least a toy or two.

Posts: 2638 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingfoot:
quote:

Tony.

"Women don't sweat, they perspire...occasionally", and there's lots of women "warriors" in this production. Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I think some of that stuff about Rooster not understanding the F14 is being taken too literal. For me it was simply a Hollywood liberty taken to explain to the audience that Maverick was about to do something unique with the aircraft that is not usually done.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12301 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post