SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Post a Song/Artist (or Two) That You’re Pretty Sure Most Forum Members Are Not Familiar With
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post a Song/Artist (or Two) That You’re Pretty Sure Most Forum Members Are Not Familiar With Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Here she is again with I'm With Her.

Posts: 7651 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Irish names…Aoifa = Ee-fah

Posts: 13594 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
The Red Clay Strays have caught my attention lately. Good country blues sound.

https://youtu.be/SW4ZQwtAHa8

https://youtu.be/JbxfFKvoAU4

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3637 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Rough and Tumble
https://youtu.be/01A6tq_0a4I

https://youtu.be/KmFTo1WMOtQ

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I was blown away by both the song and video “You Might Think” from Sons of the East. Excuse me a minute, I think I got something in my eye.

Thanks for resurrecting the thread, CoolRich

I'm happy to do so. I'm discovering some great songs and artists.

Glad you liked "You Might Think"; it is a great song.

quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I have no idea if other parts of the country have come to know the music of Colter Wall.

My son told me about Colter Wall. He reminds me of a young Waylon Jennings.

My favorite song of his is "Kate McCannon". It's haunting.

Posts: 6577 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
originally posted by Cool Rich59:
My son told me about Colter Wall. He reminds me of a young Waylon Jennings.

My favorite song of his is "Kate McCannon". It's haunting.

Kate McCannon is a Colter Wall original and revisits the subgenre of the “murder ballad.” In this country, it largely started in the 1950s with “Tom Dooley,” as recording by The Kingston Trio. Murder ballads in the U.S. may well go back long before that, and probably do, but that’s the first one I am aware of. In the UK and Ireland (England in particular) murder ballads are centuries old, which leads me to believe emigrants brought them to the U.S. long before The Kingston Trio made one famous. Kate McCannon IS a great song. The album Little Songs, that I wanted to feature is out next month , on the 27th IIRC.

Posts: 13594 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
y'all ever heard of Cam Cole?

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Charles Berthoud, bout the best bassist around:

Posts: 11416 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Was listening to some kinda obscure 80s college stuff on vinyl yesterday. I haven't heard these in a long time, decades.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17191 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Baby Animals

Harvey Reid From the Album "Steel Driving Man"

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12931 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Here's one for SIGnified. Al Di Meola with Hungarian flutist Eszter Horgas. Video is kinda crappy, but the sound is what matters.

Posts: 7651 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I doubt many members have heard of Abigail Washburn, who plays clawhammer style banjo. Having a clawhammer player in a group is common, but to mix clawhammer with three finger picking banjo, with only two performers, is not so common. It takes two talents like this husband and wife to pull it off.

I have not heard of her. But, a couple of months ago, I drove to So. Carolina and back. On the drive back, I took a detour along the Blue Ridge Parkway. In preparation for the drive, I plugged “Blue Ridge” into Spotify’s search engine and “discovered” Bela Fleck.

What a pleasant surprise to now learn his wife plays a mean banjo. Smile

Posts: 6577 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
wife plays a mean banjo. Smile

One of the features of clawhammer I have always liked to hear is the thumb constantly bouncing off the fifth string, which is never fretted. It gives that characteristic "ring" to the style, as in "hear them banjos ring".

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eagle10
posted Hide Post
AXE - Rock N Roll Party in the Streets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...iDi8&index=1&pp=8AUB

Posts: 113 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Seen clips of Abigail Washburn before, just didn't realize she was married to Bela Fleck!

Here's another talented multi instrumentalist (banjo, guitar, mandolin):

She, along with Aoife O'Donovan and Sarah Watkins make up the group I'm With Her.

There's also Sierra Hull:

Something different, Lauren Pierce on Double Bass:

Posts: 11416 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
The Rumjacks: Rhythm of Her Name

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3944 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:

She, along with Aoife O'Donovan and Sarah Watkins make up the group I'm With Her.

A couple of years ago, we went to see Mandolin Orange (now Watchhouse). I’m With Her opened the show and we really liked them. They did a tremendous version of John Hiatt’s ‘Crossing Muddy Waters’ (posted by goose5 above).

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Watchhouse (Mandolin Orange), I don't know how well known they are, so perhaps one of their songs would fit here.

This is a live version of Golden Embers, one of my favorite songs of theirs.