SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Post a Song/Artist (or Two) That You’re Pretty Sure Most Forum Members Are Not Familiar With
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post a Song/Artist (or Two) That You’re Pretty Sure Most Forum Members Are Not Familiar With Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Brendan Benson.
Pop master.
Some may recognize him as the guy teaming up with Jack White in The Raconteurs, but before this, he was an unknown singer-songwriter.

When this debut album came out, I saw him in a club with 20 other fans. IMO, he gives Elvis Costello a good run for his money.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16690 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My dad was a huge fan of Willie Nile. I’ve come to really enjoy his albums. Pure, fun rock and roll.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Mark, as stated, I love the kind of music Willie Nile makes; straight ahead rock n’ roll is always in style. See if you don’t like this one, kind of a throwback

Surfer Blood is a band out of West Palm Beach, Florida. I like their sound. The outtro is great

OKCGene, I have to be in the mood for Eva Cassidy, but I have a compilation album of hers in iTunes and there’s no doubt that she has the voice of an angel; sad that she is one

Oz, “Pieces” was really nice. Was that Muscadine Bloodline too?

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I saw Angel, I think 1976, in Huntington WV, they opened for Kiss.

quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TsocDP6_mrs" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Also back in the 70's "Crack the Sky" they were local.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I haven't listened to this in years until today. Beach Slang.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16690 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
Also back in the 70's "Crack the Sky" they were local.

"She's a Dancer"

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

Oz, “Pieces” was really nice. Was that Muscadine Bloodline too?

Yes, with Lainey Wilson. I think she’s a bit more known.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bon Iver. Skinny Love and People Help People. Well worth a listen.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
John Moreland. Huge talent (no pun intended) that sadly doesn't fit the image of what record executives want to promote.
I'm a huge fan. It's hard to put him in a genre. Folk? Country? In any case, he writes his own music and both his songwriting and guitar work are extremely poignant.

Hang me in Tulsa County Stars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s-oZALFMZ8

Clevland County Blues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypl3rSQZSYU

"My baby is a tornado
In the endless Oklahoma sky
Spinning devastation
And singing me a lullaby
And you're wrecking all the rooftops
When April turns to May
It wouldn't make a difference
If I could or couldn't stay
I fall back into love
And look up and then you're gone
But I still feel you storming in my bones."

Damn. Right in the feels.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
David Francey fits a little bit more cleanly into Folk. A singer/songwriter born in Scotland and living in Canada, he bridges the gap between traditional Celtic folk music and American folk and bluegrass. Not for everyone, but somewhere hidden deep in my genes is an Irishman with a love of sad and melancholy songs. This hits the spot.

Lonely Road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwlABfvGROw

If there's a genre or style you've got a particular interest in there's probably something hidden in the gigs of music on my phone that might be interesting. From metal to Paganini, it's all on there somewhere. (Actually, Paganini was pretty metal. They even claimed he'd sold his soul to the devil for his talent.)

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/OcUYUAXblMo

Sorry guys, can’t get the video to embed. The band is 49 Winchester, and they’re pretty much on constantly in my truck right now. Great country music.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
https://youtu.be/OcUYUAXblMo

Sorry guys, can’t get the video to embed. The band is 49 Winchester, and they’re pretty much on constantly in my truck right now. Great country music.

Here you go, Todd. Telecasters and a pedal steel; what’s more Country than that?

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
quote:
David Francey

His voice reminds me of Mark Knopfler. Good stuff, I've added a handful of his songs to my playlists.

I really like Border Line.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia

I am very familiar with these guys. I've been listening to a lot of Larkin Poe, and two Texas ladies. Ally Venable and Jackie Venson.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Gerry O'Beirne. We have seen him a number of times over the years. He writes beautiful songs.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7avQOV7xAaw

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Mark, as stated, I love the kind of music Willie Nile makes; straight ahead rock n’ roll is always in style. See if you don’t like this one, kind of a throwback

Surfer Blood is a band out of West Palm Beach, Florida. I like their sound. The outtro is great.
It’s kinda cool. I’ll check Out some more. Thanks.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Another by 49 Winchester

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
work computer and youtube are not compatible,

saw Numan in March, the opening act was pretty good

metal/synth/other type stuff,

I Speak Machine,

I listen to a lot of local public type radio (WNRN. listener supported, not NPR) that plays a lot of local or semi local bands that have been good,

Dorey Freeman is one,
Matthew E White is another

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post