SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The heavy music exchange.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The heavy music exchange. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
There's enough of us here that I think it's worth having a thread dedicated to just sharing music from what I often call "the deep end of the pool." Metal, slam, djent, and anything with "death" or "core" in the genre name is what I'm talking about. If you're in this thread just to make fun of it, well, fans have heard it all before, so maybe just let us have this thread to ourselves.

Oh, where to begin? I listed a number of bands in 92LX's thread recently, but that's only scratching the surface. I'll post some selected tracks that kind of define this last year for me.

Spiritbox came out with a killer album. The opening track is a favorite. Courney Laplante makes me feel kinda funny.

Now for something completely different. Germans never cease to surprise. There's these guys.

And then these Germans have some German friends who decided to do a cover and parody video, but go even heavier. You know it's going to pound when it starts with a breakdown. Halftime dropped breakdown later? Check. Quarter time breakdown immediately after? These guys are nuts.

Some heavy music bands take themselves way too seriously. We Butter The Bread With Butter does not. I dig the synth pop hooks blended in with some rather brutal rhythms and breakdowns. Their vocalist's fry scream is fucking nuts.

Then there's these guys. Lorna Shore has been around for a long time, but I think they really came into their own with their latest EP. Vocalist Will Ramos replaced Tom Barber (who went to Chelsea Grin) and his techniques are just... insane. This song became the anthem of the year for a good chunk of the heavy music community, and in the last few months, "ft Will Ramos" has just about become a meme because he's recording with so many bands. Anyways, if you haven't heard it yet and you like the heavy, you need to experience To The Hellfire. Make it to the end.

Babirusa appears to be a one-and-done, unfortunately. Their (very talented) vocalist is a young guy, and them being in Australia and not being able to play shows to support the release of this album got him impatient enough to quit the band. It's a shame, this is good stuff. It's a concept album, and best experienced as a whole, so I'm posting it that way. Explores ghost in the shell type concepts. If Blade Runner was a metal album, kinda thing.

There's... so much more. If you're into heavy a music, I'd like to encourage you to post stuff you like, whether it's anything like this or not. I love learning about new groups going off in interesting new directions, and word-of-mouth makes it happen. If you hate this music, I'd like to encourage you to visit the many other threads that don't feature it, or start your own. I'll keep updating if there's interest.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
I have been listening to Sirius/Xm Liquid Metal channel when I run to town for errands. Sometimes they throw back to my type of 80s style thrash/punk metal. I heard SOD the other day. Eek

Every once in awhile, I hear of some band I hadn't heard before, like Puya:

Which led me to find Brujeria:

It probably helps to have some understanding of spanish, but some of the riffs are great.

Well, at least that's what I have been into lately.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spiritbox came out with a killer album. The opening track is a favorite.

Sort of like a cross between Evanescence and Jinjer. I dig it.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am just here to listen as I have been way out of the loop on this genre for years now.

Spiritbox sure do like that!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
bigpond73, you might check out Sepultura if you like that kind of flavor. They're from Brazil. Early stuff is more strictly death metal, but albums like Roots have a lot of local cultural influence.

Yeah, Spiritbox is good. It's a husband and wife project, and he's the guitarist/songwriter. They were in iwrestledabearonce. It was an entirely different kind of project. They stepped in to replace the vocalist, who had to quit because she got pregnant, but they never really felt like they fit. So, they're doing their own thing now, and I think it's pretty good stuff. Here's one of the standout tracks from those days, I took the liberty of skipping the silly skit leading into it:

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Thanks Smudge. Yeah, I have been listening to Sepultura since their first album.

Mike

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread is a great idea, Smudge; well done. I listened to the songs you provided; none of them truly grab me, but I enjoyed them.

Spiritbox reminded me of a song I cam across years ago...
Released to Aion by Sarasvati

Eskimo Callboy was thoroughly enjoyable, but I can't see myself ever purchasing an album or listening regularly. I think it would lose some of it's impact without the video too.

Lorna Shore was cool. Very vocal-centric. And rightfully so; he's pretty wicked. That shit at the very end gets me fucking pumped up. I love that shit. Unfortunately, those vocal moments are only so special because they are short-lived.

Lorna Shore remined me of Thy Art Is Murder. TAiM is not quite as nasty though. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I have always like their album titled "Hate". Reign of Darkness is a badass song.

Babirusa is cool. I'll have to listen to that in it's entirity when I have more time.

One more thing that popped into my head is an "all-time best" metalcore album, IMO. I think it bears recommending here. Y'all may know it, but I'd encourage a listen, if you haven't lately. The Flood by Of Mice and Men.

I look forward to this thread's growth!

Posts: 2130 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Right on, guys. Bigpond, that's awesome. I look forward to seeing what names you drop in here!

KSGM, can't disagree with any of that. Thy Art is Murder is solid, and I've listened to their stuff for several years now. There's so much really good heavy music coming out of Australia in recent years. In addition to what's been mentioned already, there's, well... all of these groups.

Some metalcore.

Some deathcore. These guys have a satanist bent, so if that bothers you, fair warning. I don't really listen to these guys but they're worth mentioning because they are ridiculously good.

More deathcore. Discovered these guys a few weeks ago. Definitely on the heavier end of the scale.

And then there's I, Valiance. This band defies categorization other than "heavy" with perhaps "experimental" thrown in there. Elements of hip-hop, jazz, circus music... it's all there, and it's seamless. Here's the first part of their debut self-titled.

Then there's this band. Here's a couple of my favorite tracks of theirs followed by a recent single featuring Courtney LaPlante. Their band name is a reference to a Cannibal Corpse Song, but the band is a little different from that stuff. I've seen it categorized as "symphonic deathcore." People also say their first album is deathcore and the rest metalcore. Regardless, they have definitely softened a bit to where the name doesn't seem to fit.

Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
No Slaughter to Prevail?

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Really, the only standout thing about that band is Alex Terrible's vocals. He's... insane. The rest of it is pretty middle of the road. Worth a mention is this track, and if you haven't heard these guys, listen all the way through.

Really, I like Alex Terrible's covers better. This is possibly the best cover of Master of Puppets.

A decent cover of 5 Minutes Alone

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Celtic Frost was always a favorite of mine.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
… I heard SOD the other day. Eek
Stormtroopers of Death? Big Grin Billy Milano took some flak for his hot take on AIDS. Evidently, Billy doesn’t care.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Yep, good ol' Stormtroopers of Death. Sirius/Xm has been playing (at least in the mornings I am driving) some great older tunes. Lots of Slayer, Anthrax, Pantera, etc, but then some obscure stuff too, like SOD. I just crank the volume louder, and bang my head a little harder. Big Grin

Mike

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Voivod is probably my favorite band.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've been listening to Spiritbox's newest album today. Good stuff.

Some of the more frenetic tracks, like Holy Roller, remind me quite a bit of In This Moment. If you like Spiritbox, give them a look.

(And Maria Brink, In This Moment' lead singer, will probably make you feel kinda funny too.)

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
(And Maria Brink, In This Moment' lead singer, will probably make you feel kinda funny too.)

She's magically babelicious

Schwing!

Smudge; I thought I was the only one that listens to Eskimo Callboy. Everything about them is awesome. Love cranking up their stuff at red lights to see what kind of reaction I can get out of people. Hilarity usually ensues.

Posts: 2831 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
I really dig Amazonia by Gojira!
Tried to link the video, but, no joy.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to do my best to only recommend time-tested bands/albums in this thread. I can get swept up in a recent discovery sometimes, but those all-to-often fall by the wayside, once the novelty has worn off.

That being said, these guys are from Canada, and I have been a huge fan of their first LP since it's release. Their Sophomore album never managed to get the same hold on me, but is still quite good. I think they identify as technical deathcore. They employ, in my opinion, very original songwriting, stellar musicianship, and vocal diversity.

Band: Gomorrah
Album: The Haruspex

Posts: 2130 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I've been listening to Spiritbox's newest album today. Good stuff.

Some of the more frenetic tracks, like Holy Roller, remind me quite a bit of In This Moment. If you like Spiritbox, give them a look.

Glad you're liking them! Yeah, Maria Brink has that that "beautifuldirty" thing going on. I like some In This Moment. Speaking of attractive female vocalists, Alissa White-Gluz is the frontwoman for one of my favorite bands, Arch Enemy and she's absolutely brutal. She replaced Angela Gossow, who hand-picked her replacement so she could retire and I would put them about on even footing with a slight nod to Alyssa. Here's a track with her original Candadian band, The Agonist. Arch Enemy has a mostly Swedish lineup, with guitarist Jeff Loomis from Wisconsin, formerly of Nevermore on lead, and Alissa from Montreal.

With Arch Enemy

Looks like a new track dropped yesterday:

And an older track with Angela. This album and the ones released around that time logged a lot of playtime with me.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have lot's of cassettes from the 80's and 90's still.
SOD, Slayer, Venom, Merciful Fate etc.

These days I've gravitated to instrumental type bands.
Karma To Burn.. just Rock n Roll from West Virginia.
Songs are numbered and all I've seen the dude play is the same stack and guitar.
Won't hear anything new anymore.
R.I.P Will.

Most stuff I listen to seems to come from overseas now days.
Good ol Dozer

I like Tommi's other band Greenleaf, another dude that has an endless supply of killer riffs.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post