SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The heavy music exchange.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The heavy music exchange. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I think I have posted this one before, but I just listened to it in the car, and it's a damn banger. So, here it is again...

And I think this'll be up your alley, Smudge. These dudes are unique, and hard as heck. Their style has a certain filth about it. They create a very fun contrast between brutal/fast/dirty and melody with clean vocals. I enjoy the majority of their discography...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2446 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Dammit. I just saw that TFU got back together last September and played a couple shows. This EP blew my mind back in the fall of 1998. I would've traveled to see them burn it down live a quarter century later. Brings back memories. I learned to fry scream to this EP. Jumbling up the track listing to close it out with the EP version of Skin Like Winter because it's better than what made it onto the album a year later. Dan Weyandt was at the absolute top of his game here.

And now, Training For Utopia's live set from Furnace Fest last summer. This is only a test.

Posts: 17565 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Feeling the electronic stuff lately. Good breakdowns definitely don't hurt, and a reference to Limitless push this one over the top.

Haven't checked in on these guys in a bit. French symphonic/melodic death metal. Digging this one so far.

And on the more deathcore end of things, I've been listening to these guys lately. There isn't any one standout thing about the band themselves, but they're very tight and the songwriting is pretty good. Solid albums, some good thumpers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17565 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Wife gave me 'a ticket' to go see Iron Maiden in Charlotte. I am so stoked. Ordered the t-shirt. Smile

So to celebrate, a few of my favorites:

Now the Number of the Beast.

Would it even be a collection without Alexander the Great?

And my last one, Lost in a Lost World. For reasons only known to me, Senjutsu is one of my favorite albums of all time. I personally think it is there greatest work. But I also think that Rammstein's Zeit is their greatest album as well. Anyway, here is my faforite track from Senjutsu, Lost in a Lost World:

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3645 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That's awesome! Triple Strat onslaught live! I need to see some of the old guard bands while they're still touring. I really do.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Discovered these guys the other day, really pleasantly surprised. Incredible musicianship. Truly. Being a guitarist, I am blown away by the guitarist's tone, his phrasing, and his skill. Tasteful solos, really meaty riffs.

If I had to try to compare them to anyone, I think of Gojira and Mastodon, but also early-mid 90's Living Sacrifice. Bruce Fitzhugh-esque riffage and vocals on the second album. Oh, and this man studied his Darrel Abbot. The Pantera reboot oughta fire that clown Zakk Wylde and hire this guy instead. Wes Hauch is a fucking monster. I feel like they picked up where metal was going in the late 90's before it got lost in the Nu Metal tangent. There's some prime Metallica and Megadeth tinges here and there. It's really good stuff.

The first album is all instrumental.

Now, the first album is really good, but sweet mercy, the second one is where you can tell things have really gelled for them. It's so dense and beefy. It's a wall of layers of sound. Here's a link to the playlist for the whole album, I'm not sure it'll queue the whole thing or not, so I'll embed some selected favorites as well:
https://youtu.be/j7q2j0NUuTU?si=hZ8DbNxaRu4-3gq2

Here's some of those signature Dimebag Darrel riffs:

Some Gojira meets Tool kinda vibes here. Really love this track:

Really, really liking these guys!

posted Hide Post
I had the deep longing for annihilation in my cd player for months.
My favorite track is Gabrielle. I never got into instumentals when I was younger now I really like them.
You might enjoy Conquering Dystopia (Jeff Loomis, Keith Merrow, Alex Webster).

Posts: 372 | Location: Lancaster,PA | Registered: January 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. S:
I had the deep longing for annihilation in my cd player for months.
My favorite track is Gabrielle. I never got into instumentals when I was younger now I really like them.

Awesome! Yeah, really liking this band. In addition to all the musical stuff, the production value is off the charts.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. S:
You might enjoy Conquering Dystopia (Jeff Loomis, Keith Merrow, Alex Webster).

Oh shit, I hadn't heard Jeff left Arch Enemy. That sounds like a killer lineup. I'll definitely check them out, thanks for the lead!

More brutality:

This one in particular is so heavy and just grooves. This is such a nod to Darrel Abbott. Love this track.