SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The heavy music exchange.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The heavy music exchange. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Great song / performance!
It's been a long time since I heard that one.

Posts: 371 | Location: Lancaster,PA | Registered: January 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
I think if we put Peter in this thread got to go back to the Carnivore days.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think Carnivore is something I'd be able to get into. I am a Type-O fan, but I don't think I am a die-hard Peter fan.

Here's one from an album I've had since it's release (2018). The whole album is great. I have only dabbled in their back-catalog, and nothing grabbed me like this album does.

Posts: 2151 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Alright guys, let's... let's get weird for a minute. I found this guy when I was searching for Halloween metal and was both surprised and delighted. Now, I listened to it in the truck, so I didn't get to see the video. It's a really neat blend of jazz, trap, 80's power metal, some pop metal, Rob Zombie/White Zombie type vibes, deathcore, nu metal (Jonathan Davis has a few lines on this one, and they go quite Korn for those few bars). There's a syncopated jazz drum solo, jazz trumpet or saxophone licks in the middle of a heavy breakdowns, and more. I'm reminded of old Candiria a bit. It defies categorization, and it surely won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's worth a spin. The frontman's vocals are... wow.

Atually, let's skip the music videos for now. They're a distraction.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
1986 meets 2023.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

This one came bubbling up into my conscience this morning from twenty years ago.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
And moving rapidly on. I've been in a mood to revisit Justice lately. Glad I found this. If Cliff Burton hadn't died, I imagine this is about what this album would've sounded like. Really beefy and full, damn.

posted Hide Post
I appreciate the continued contributions, Smudge. Exiled Martyr wasn't my jam; Kim Dracula made for an entertaining brief sampling, but isn't something I'd care to return to; and Enterprise Earth was pretty slick.

I'll catch up on your recent recommendations soon.

Posts: 2151 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Damn Smudge
That bass playing on the Metallica is great!

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Holidays!

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

And oh shit, Brojob is back at it with a volume 2! Will Ramos even rewrote and performed Christmas lyrics for "To The Hellfire" at 5:35. Couldn't believe my ears when the intro started. We got some Grinch action on this one, too. I was laughing my ass off to this album, it's definitely a banger. Big Grin

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Watched INK 11/30 down in Norfolk, VA (Kiss of Death Tour with New Years Day, Avatar, In This Moment & Ice Nine Kills). They were awesome as always but Avatar stole the show. I'd heard of them, but really hadn't paid much attention to them. Since then, I've been listening to their stuff and I'm having fun with it. They've got range too, not just heavy screamo metal.

Also caught Imminence in Pittsburgh 11/27 and they put on a helluva show. Seeing them again in May when they come to Richmond Big Grin Might even see them in Mesa, AZ when we go visit my wife's family in April Wink

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Missed your post, Mutedblade, I'll check those out.

Taking a bit of a break from the deathcoresque stuff and checking out what the scene kids evolved into while I was doing other things. Not bad, honestly.

I tend to avoid "Verb the Noun" bands, but I'm giving these guys a shot and I'm pleasantly surprised.

I'm a sucker for anything Featuring Courtney LaPlante. This one gets down pretty hard.

That whole album is really good. I only posted a couple of the heavier tracks, but there's some hip-hop/pop type tracks and interludes that are pretty good, too.

Going down a little further down that rabbit hole, I discovered these guys. It feels like a slightly grown-up version of 2006 or so post-hardcore. Very dry, gated guitars, which I like.

I don't know who these guys are, but they go pretty hard. Part of what I would call an EP released two days ago.

And, just because random: if Nile were a lot less black metal and more melodic.

Oh, and because female lead vocals: have some really beautiful singing ranging from blues rock to some ridiculously heavy riffs and breakdowns.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Haven't thought of these guys in years. I saw them live a couple times at my college. Some friends of mine in a band we used to play shows with opened for them. Crowd went fucking nuts when they kicked off their first song - I've never been knocked around that hard in a pit. Anyways, I found their demo on my hard drive and gave it a listen, then decided to look them up. They got signed a few years later and put out an album. It's pretty good, and honestly? Some of these tracks were maybe ahead of their time a good bit because I think some of this would take off today, twenty years later. Looked up the vocalist and had a friendly chat just now. God, I feel old.

Anyway, if you like the mid 90's hardcore, almost-post-punk thing, Endicott serves up a big, solid helping.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

If you've been wanting some heavy music dripping with melody, four part harmonies, lounge jazz interludes, classical structuring, progressions, and phrasing, with mode shifts that are anything but, and some Django Reinhardt, Andrés Segovia, and Joe Satriani all thrown in a blender until it comes out smooth, then sit and give this one a taste.

posted Hide Post
Well, Smudge, I managed to catch up on all your preceding samples. Oddly enough, the first was my favorite. I have to admit I rolled my eyes, in the first few seconds of the track, because I don't like what BMtH has become (and still don't), but that was the one I found most enjoyable, of what you provided. I dislike their increased use of electronic stuff, though they pull it off pretty well, and I absolutely despise the "crowd anthem" bullshit lyrics/vocals. Parkway Drive went to shit too, when they started incorporating more of that garbage.

Long story short: their new stuff ain't got shit on songs like Alligator Blood. "Put a gun to my head and paint the walls with my brain"; classic...

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, old BMTH goes hard, as the kids say these days.

These guys keep showing up in my feed, so here they are:

I have no idea why YouTube decided that I need to listen to this track that's 13 years old, but it also keeps showing up in my feed, and it's getting a lot of play time for me. Good groove, some cool synth stuff thrown in, a solid chorus. It's got it going on.

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Probably not hardcore enough, but I really like it.

And my favorites from Rammstein

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
Probably not hardcore enough, but I really like it.

Nonsense! I tend to like to post the more extreme stuff I run across, but a lot of these bands put out lighter tracks and musical interludes that I really enjoy. It's all welcome here. That one guy who posted Foghat later deleted it, but it wasn't because anyone hassled him about it. Smile

Rammstein kicks so much ass, I'm glad they're still at it all these years down the road.

And now, some random YouTube recommendations:

I love when a band doesn't take themselves too seriously:

Been listening to a fair bit of Oceans Ate Alaska lately. I don't see myself going to a show or anything, but it's different.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Haven't listened to Orbit Culture in a good bit. Digging this new track.

Now, some thematic stuff. Back in October, in my searching for Halloween and horror-themed music, I ran across Ice Nine Kills. They have two full albums worth of songs with each being based on a various modern classic horror movies.

Friday The 13th

Silence Of The Lambs

It

Psycho, of course.

Those are all great and good, but how can you do those and skip over American Psycho? You don't.

These guys are so underrated. I've been listening to their whole catalog since October, and really enjoying their sound. There's some serious Broadway musical production vibes to a lot of their work that I just haven't run into with other bands. It's different in a really good way. Very refreshing. Oh, from their wiki page: "Ice Nine Kills has described itself as 'theatricore." Ok, there you have it.

Let's round out today's entries with a slammer from I Prevail. Old school east coast hardcore post-punk vibes. You know it's gonna be good when you see a 5150 half stack paired with an Orange Rockerverb half stack. Guitar into amp into cabinet and go.