SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The heavy music exchange.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The heavy music exchange. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My wife got me the Fear Inoculum vinyl for Valentine's Day. It's rad. I am hearing things that didn't present themselves in the car, on CD. I have been a TOOL fan since I started listening to Rock&Roll; I am not, however, a TOOL apologist. That being said, the vinyl version of the album has too many damn interludes; I hate that shit. As I have previously said, I omit about half this album; on the vinyl release, that has me listening through side C. On the CD, it's an unrelenting streak of awesome; on the vinyl, there's a dumbass interlude between track 3 and 4. It kills the momentum. Maybe that's what they intended, for some reason or other; but I don't friggen like it. Luckily, the interlude is the first thing on side C, so I should be able to easily drop the needle at it's end, on future plays. I guess this post just has me venting, but it ties in with our recent comments on favorite bands producing something that a fan may feel alienated by. Interludes are nothing new for TOOL, but they are more frequent and less blended on this album, IMO.

Posts: 2151 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Fear Inoculum is their worst album. Honestly I think they just threw a bunch of crap they had piled together over the years off the cutting room floor and threw it on an album to meet their standing contract.
While it is far better than a lot of music put out these days it is certainly not their shining star.

Along the same lines is that Starset has all those interludes, intros, and outros, it is beyond annoying. The reason I have not bought a single one of their albums.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that it is their weakest album. It kind of hurts to say it, because of how much I like that four song streak, on the CD version, but it is true, when compared to the rest of their discography. I will say, however, that I appreciate they at least made all the wankery easily skippable, as opposed to integrating it into otherwise excellent songs.

Posts: 2151 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum's Official
Metalhead
Picture of DTREND75
posted Hide Post
Hate me if you want but I love this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnzkhQsmSag

Sensitive and caring since August 2009

Some people are like a Slinky....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Posts: 3810 | Location: PSST! Look behind you! | Registered: July 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope I did this correctly

https://youtu.be/lf9V3B9jk0c

Posts: 371 | Location: Lancaster,PA | Registered: January 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been on a Lacuna Coil binge this week.

Posts: 154 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. S:
I hope I did this correctly

This should help!

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. S:

I fixed it. These guys rip!

quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I haven't listened to much of your Despite Exile contributions, but I don't hear any metalcore.

I think this one falls pretty squarely in that category. But as you say, the subgenre stuff and neatly defining bands is kind of silly. I think it's more useful for figuring out what you like and what else you might like, but they're definitely not hard-and-fast rules by any stretch.

quote:
quote:
Lots of groove

...which seems to conflict with how you consider "groove".

Yeah, that's fair. I love my time signature shifts, and bands that do it well definitely catch my attention. For instance, I find the track I embedded above to have some pretty good groove, and it skips around quite a bit. It's definitely not in any one "groove" for long.

quote:
Pray for Villains. Songs like Sober and Pure Sincerity are super awesome, and that whole album has found a place in my all-time favorites.

I'll give it a spin!

Congrats on the Tool vinyl! Definitely hear you about weird interludes on some albums. I haven't sat down with Tool in any depth to speak of, so I'm not familiar with your particular example, but others definitely come to mind.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think this one falls pretty squarely in that category.

I agree; that one has more of a traditional metalcore sound. Also, I just love the word crepuscular; makes me want to read a Lovecraft story.

I am almost done with my second playthrough of Black Tongue; I definitely like it, as a passive listening album. I don't think it sits squarely enough in my preferential window, for me to enjoy dedicated listens, but I do like it quite a bit; even some hints of black metal, in his vocals. ***Edit: I finished it as I was typing this reply. I really do enjoy the last track(s); cool atmosphere.***

I am always hesitant to recommend TOOL to anyone, as they seem to be consistently divisive. I don't think you'd really like them, as they aren't as consistently heavy and energetic as what you seem to prefer. They lean into an almost psychedelic sector at times, which can try my patience, and more-so anyone who doesn't consider themselves a fan.

As a first embed song contribution, I'll share a favorite song from a favorite band. Misery Index was pivotal, in the growth of my appreciation for metal. This is one of my favorite songs from the first album of theirs that I ever listened to. Unfortunately, as we have recently discussed, their last two albums haven't grabbed me like their prior output did, and still does.

posted Hide Post

Well, it is Sunday.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTREND75:
Hate me if you want but I love this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnzkhQsmSag

Nah, I love these guys. Your post made me look up their stuff and I realized I somehow totally missed out on their new album, so I gave it a listen. I love it! Very solid. I was driving when this one queued up. Just... wow. LOL

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
KawaiiCore FTW!!!!

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Just heard We As Human for the first time this week. Not sure how I missed these folks when they were together.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

Only on the first track so far, but I'm digging these guys. Anymore, I'm finding that a good drummer will make or break a band for me, all other things being what they are. Shitty guitar tone? Well, if it's paired with a killer drummer, I can still hang. Vocalist sounds like Andy Serkis getting his nuts flattened in a vice? Well, if the drummer can drill a perfect sustained 500bpm with all four limbs going at once, I'm still all over it. That's not to say this band has weak links that I can determine at first blush, but to say their drummer is that good.

*Edit - Ok, this is a super solid offering. I'll have to give it a few more listens to be sure, but I think this is my favorite find in the last month or two. Definitely not the "same 'ol" and I wasn't wrong about that drummer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

posted Hide Post
I have almost shared this particular video more than a few times, but have so far avoided doing so, because it represents a pretty significant stylistic departure, from the general vibe of the music shared here. With Smudge's recent mention of drummers though, I now feel it is my responsibility, as a fan of the band(s). This video is actually a cover; the drummer of Mgla and Kriegsmaschine, who goes by stage name Darkside (real name Maciej Kowalski), hasn't made any studio videos, that I know of, and the few live recordings are not the best quality, in terms of lighting and angles. He is my favorite drummer; he succeeds, IMO, in being creative, original, inspired, artful, and technical, without being technical for technicality's sake. Like Smudge, I find that an inspired drum performance can be an otherwise average album's saving grace; while a lack of interesting drums is something I notice, and can make an album quite dull indeed, even when all other performances are stellar.

I will, of course, listen to your recent recommendation, Smudge. I wanted to hop on the drummer bandwagon, while it is the current topic.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Not sure if these guys are on this thread or now. But I found Born of Osiris recently and have been digging some of their stuff.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Born of Osiris is good stuff, and no, I think you're the first to post them! My sister, of all people, introduced me to them some years ago. They're one of the more enjoyable products of the math metal trend. In that genre, I much prefer them to Periphery. Misha Mansoor is insanely talented, and I've tried, but I just can't get into Periphery.

quote:
I have almost shared this particular video more than a few times, but have so far avoided doing so, because it represents a pretty significant stylistic departure, from the general vibe of the music shared here.

It's open to whatever people want to post that they feel is heavy music. I mean, recoatlift posted something that makes Foghat look like straight up black metal, so we're going with "whatever." Razz

quote:
I wanted to hop on the drummer bandwagon, while it is the current topic.

Yeah, that guy is good. I couldn't handle a steady diet of that kind of stuff, but I did try out for, and joined a band doing stuff in that same vein early last year. Then Washington state started requiring proof of vaccination to enter venues and I wasn't going to get the shot, and they turned out to be full-blown Koolaid gulpers and fired me for it, so... that was that.

I saw Rogue posted this video in another thread the other day, and I've been meaning to bring him up and keep forgetting. A coworker last year introduced me to this guy last year around that same timeframe and his videos straight up blow my mind. Insanely talented. Just sit back and enjoy, and yes, that it all legit one handed. The guy from Def Leppard was never even in the same timezone with two arms.

posted Hide Post
Drove to the airport a couple days ago. Since I've gotten Fear Inoculum on vinyl, I went for something I only have on the CD format. 10,000 Days is a badass album all around, but this song always makes me lose it.

From another favorite album, from a different genre, we have a song with timely subject matter. The entire Life is Killing Me album is awesome, and this is not the best song on it.

Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Angry Inch is really good and hilarious. I think my favorite from the album is IYDKMIGTHTKY (Gimme That) or Anesthesia.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's interesting how folks who appreciate the same stuff can still be pretty darn different. IYDKMIGTHTKY is my absolute least favorite track on the album. That is friggen wild. I am a huge fan of the album, but not necessarily a huge Type-O fan, when it comes to their broader discography; that may be where the difference is.

Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Yeah I’m a pretty big fan of theirs hence my screen name and avatar. I really ally appreciate all their albums for what they are. World Coming Down was pretty dark and the last one took a couple of plays before it really sank in. I think October Rust is cream of the crop.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post