SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The heavy music exchange.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The heavy music exchange. Login/Join 
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
An older album of theirs, but love this one.

Posts: 1729 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Back when RoS still got after it.....

Posts: 1729 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Another older favorite, Batushka has changed a lot of pieces and aren't what they were, but this album....gah!

In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Just posting some favorite stuff, thoughts on any of it?

This album is fascinating to me, the themes are....apropos in the current AI conversations, it's like Ghost in a Shell, the album.

Brand of Sacrifice has several excellent albums/EP's if you aren't familiar with them....like to hear what you guys think about them.

Lastly (for now) these guys are one of my fav currents....KANONENFIEBER!!! Love the artwork, which is a reproduction of an anti-German WWI poster.....

posted Hide Post
Pretty wide variety there, akcopnfbks. I touched on that RoS album, when I was briefly enamored with "tech". That Batushka is enjoyable, and that Carnifex track is a lot of fun. I am not as interested in Kanonenfieber, as I am in one of his other projects: Leipa; the album titled Reue.

Posts: 2151 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I am not as interested in Kanonenfieber, as I am in one of his other projects: Leipa; the album titled Reue.

I was unaware of other stuff? Gonna have to check this out!

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that initial offering from Babirusa is stellar. I posted it on page 1. At the time, I said it looked they were going to be a "one and done" as their vocalist quit because Australia locked down hard over COVID and they couldn't tour to support the album. They've since found a replacement for him and put out a new single. As a single, it's pretty solid, but Humanoid was, and is unique in the genre. I know concept albums are nothing new, and not even that theme is unique, but the way they pulled it off was something else. I think if they put out a whole album and I get to spend some time with it, I might really like the new stuff.

Anyways, the new single:

A Night In Texas is always good. Rings of Saturn and Carnifex, I haven't gotten into the way I should. Carnifex especially, I know they're considered some of the founders of deathcore along with Chelsea Grin. I always kind down in the latter camp. As good a time as any to listen to their discography. Brand of Sacrifice, though... If I haven't already posted some of their stuff in this thread like I was sure I had, I've been remiss. I've given that particular album a lot of play time. Super solid, and a great mix. RoS reminds me of Dillinger Escape Plan. I damn near wore out my copy of Under The Running Board. Calculating Infinity was more polished, but Mike Patton is a collosal douche and brought that whole Mr. Bungle vibe to the band and that just ruined it for me.

Here, have some 1998:

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Yeah, that initial offering from Babirusa is stellar. I posted it on page 1. At the time, I said it looked they were going to be a "one and done" as their vocalist quit because Australia locked down hard over COVID and they couldn't tour to support the album. They've since found a replacement for him and put out a new single. As a single, it's pretty solid, but Humanoid was, and is unique in the genre. I know concept albums are nothing new, and not even that theme is unique, but the way they pulled it off was something else. I think if they put out a whole album and I get to spend some time with it, I might really like the new stuff.

Anyways, the new single:

A Night In Texas is always good. Rings of Saturn and Carnifex, I haven't gotten into the way I should. Carnifex especially, I know they're considered some of the founders of deathcore along with Chelsea Grin. I always kind down in the latter camp. As good a time as any to listen to their discography. Brand of Sacrifice, though... If I haven't already posted some of their stuff in this thread like I was sure I had, I've been remiss. I've given that particular album a lot of play time. Super solid, and a great mix. RoS reminds me of Dillinger Escape Plan. I damn near wore out my copy of Under The Running Board. Calculating Infinity was more polished, but Mike Patton is a collosal douche and brought that whole Mr. Bungle vibe to the band and that just ruined it for me.

Here, have some 1998:
[/FLASH_VIDEO][/QUOTE] Agreed, the first Babirusa offering was just awesome!!! I've got the single, listened to it a couple of times so far. Need to spend more time with it....usually try to find something longer to play while I'm at the gym so I don't have to keep restarting the music. And Dillinger is awesome....one of my first real forays into deathmetal outside of Amon Amarth. Never listened to Calculating Infinity, but not a fan of Mr. Bungle. Circling back to your love of female vocalists....have you listened to Arch Enemy? [FLASH_VIDEO]

In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
More Arch Enemy, the whole newest album:

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I've listened to a lot of Arch Enemy. I didn't know they'd come out with a new album last year, I'll have to give that a listen.

I looked and apparently Dillinger dropped a new album less than a week ago. First track is very reminiscent of the first EP, actually. Playlist here:

https://www.youtube.com/playli...Plx9KHetP8_N8Ew2o2MM

Oh, and if you like Brand of Sacrifice, Shadow of Intent is worth a listen. Ben Duerr is one of the heavyweights of the genre. New single from a few months back:

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I've listened to a lot of Arch Enemy. I didn't know they'd come out with a new album last year, I'll have to give that a listen.

I looked and apparently Dillinger dropped a new album less than a week ago. First track is very reminiscent of the first EP, actually. Playlist here:

https://www.youtube.com/playli...Plx9KHetP8_N8Ew2o2MM

Oh, and if you like Brand of Sacrifice, Shadow of Intent is worth a listen. Ben Duerr is one of the heavyweights of the genre. New single from a few months back:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9Xd2rLgLrTY" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I really love anything with the cosmic horror/Lovecraftian/Old Gods themes.

In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
I really like Meshugga, always in my play rotation, always.....and their newest album is great. Speaking of cosmic horror, this song in particular off the Immutable album gives that vibe

In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Oh wow. I've been looking for this album for a long, long time. This is part of the soundtrack to my sophomore year of highschool. Lots of laps run at wrestling practice with this on a friggin cassette tape. This is late 90's hardcore to me.

Trustkill Records really did have some great bands signed in that era. Eighteen Visions (haven't thought of them in years), Hopesfall, Bullet For My Valentine, Bleeding Through, Most Precious Blood, Nora, Throwdown, and probably my favorite of all of them: Poison The Well. If I haven't mentioned them yet, they were a big influence on me and my band back in college. Their two major hits, which we did covers of at live shows, in chronological order:

Played through Botchla and YouTube said "No, you need to listen to some Djent. We're not making ad revenue off a band that hasn't put out an album in twenty years." I went through a phase where I listened to Tesseract about a decade ago. They've taken a bit of a darker bent, seems like.

Ok, halfway into this, I remember why I moved on from them. Like Meshuggah meets Yanni.

Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Gotcha. I recognized your avatar from the backside of the album, but was unfamiliar with the drab four; a quick google solved that. I'll have to dig into World Coming Down. I liked the September Sun single, which may be from the last one you're referring to.

I've listened to more songs and discovered a couple more songs, they're growing on me.

Posts: 1538 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Digging Harvest. Almost immediately reminded me of an early Parkway Drive EP.

Your mention of Trustkill also got me going in a couple ways. Firstly: I am a HUGE fan of The Poison by Bullet for my Valentine; I think it's a very inspired and original record, and a benchmark of metalcore; I don't know if that's one they released with Truskill, but your mention of them prompted the thought of that album. Secondly: I recently got a long-time favorite on vinyl, which happens to be a Trustkill release; bitchin hardcore album with a Rambo theme...

Posts: 2151 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two fun ones that were recently posted on my favorite blog, AMG.

And some female vocals for Smudge...

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Glad you liked Harvest. That First Blood album is right in there, I miss those days. Gonna give NPT a listen now.

That Crypta single is pretty good, feels like some mid-late 90's death metal, I dig that. Hopefully they come out with more like that soon, the album they have out isn't as good.

Oh wow, that NPT video is demented lmao. Big Grin

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Some local boys I've posted before have come out with some newer stuff since I last checked up. Everyone in this band is so solid, and they just keep getting better. Both these tracks absolutely rip, and the end breakdown on Born of Tar and Fire blows my mind - I've never heard anything like that. Anubis is just savage from start to finish.

They had this meme on their Facebook page. Big Grin

posted Hide Post