SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The heavy music exchange.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The heavy music exchange. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post

Here try these. Christian metal band.

Posts: 137 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am familiar with Demon Hunter. They were a band I touched on, at a past point in my metal journey, and have since left behind. They didn't make enough of an impression that I return to them at all, with any kind of nostalgic fondness, as I do some other groups.

Posts: 901 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I know what you are saying about Demon Hunter. I am a fan but always have been a hit and skip fan. I can’t listen to their music consistently and never really had the desire to go to one of their head lining concerts.

Not Ready to Die
Collapsing
I Will Fail You
Dead Flowers

Are likely my favorite cuts.

————————————————
I think that when those dark voices start calling our name in the back of our head we need to remind those voices who we belong to!
Andrew Schwab - Project 86

Posts: 23494 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
How about Phinehas for a Christian metal band.

Posts: 4660 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah! Yes! Phinehas is very very good indeed! Their first album has been a favorite for years. Damn, I am glad you reminded me of them. I don't have physical copies of any of their stuff, and things I don't have physical copies of tend to fall off the radar. A Pattern in Pain is an absolutely amazing song, with TheGodMachine: The Rider being my second favorite from that album. Their sophomore album also has a few wicked tracks. Their third album didn't grab me; I'll have to investigate their newest output. I need to get a physical copy of their first output.

My Horses Are Many is another absolute ripper of a track off their first album.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 901 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post

Max’s newest band with his brother and Max’s son.

Posts: 4660 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:
Good timing on the bump just found the band Sleeping Giant yesterday.

I am a Christian. I have a hard time reconciling my love of music that has typically quite anti-Christian themes; but I have yet to encounter a wholesome band with an aggressive metal playing style that I can really appreciate. I hope I can grow the heck up eventually but, for now, for me, if the metal ain't evil, the metal ain't good. I believe that music is God's gift to us; music is Godly; metal music is the best music; metal music is Godly, which is ironic, considering the pervasive themes are quite unGodly indeed.

As I write this comment, I am listening to The Mantis by Yoth Iria, a band formed by former members of Rotting Christ. Believe me when I say neither band thinks too highly of our Lord. But damn if it ain't an awesome tune!

EDIT: Reflecting on my comment, after the initial posting, I realized it merited some clarification. I have, as recently as yesterday, recommended bands that fall into the metal genre, that do not rely on sinister themes. That being acknowledged, I suppose the metal doesn't have to be evil to be good. The boiled down version of my initial ramblings is that I have yet to encounter an outwardly Christian metal band, with an aggressive style, that clicks with me. Maybe it's due to the fact that Christianity, at it's core, is quite benevolent and ultimately forgiving in nature; it may not be possible to make truly Christian music in the metal style that I prefer.

Not a Behemoth fan I take it?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not a Behemoth fan I take it?

Not really; but only because they never really grabbed me. I have an LP from a band called Azarath, of which Behemoth's drummer is a founding member, I believe, and I like it; it's thematically dark as well. I have listened to plenty of music as sinister as Behemoth, and plenty more sinister still. The music itself doesn't scare me, and I doubt very much that it will cast any sort of spell on me. I love most of it, actually.

Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
Was thinking about this thread recently, I'm glad to see it bumped.

Well, it's funny we're talking about the themes of Christianity and evil in heavy music. That's always either in the forefront, or the background, but surely never missing. I've discovered a band that kind of strikes that bit of tension for me: I love the actual music, but it's clear they're going for the evil/horror vibe and I guess I'm glad the lyrics are in Greek, as I don't speak it. Yes, I said Greek. Along with that, I can only assume there's something lost in the translation of their band name, because not to mince words, but it's fucking stupid. Their music, however, absolutely slams. Allow me to introduce you to Dr. Hell.

Now let's go north, to Sweden. I've heard of Vildhjarta, but I'd never sat down and listened to anything of theirs until a few weeks ago. They're like a less frenetic, more pensive take on Meshuggah. Definitely in that vein, but slightly different vibe.

Now let's go east a bit, just a little bit, to Finland. Atlas has decided to pioneer their own genre, which they call "Northcore," evocative of the desolate cold that is Finland. They're an altogether different feel. It's heavy, but it's not heavy. I'm really digging their style. I don't know exactly how to qualify it or categorize it. It's musical, which seems silly to describe it so, but let's face it, plenty of what I listen to is not. They're definitely becoming the soundtrack to my last spring in Washington, and fitting that it's so cold and gray. Perfect musical accompaniment. I'd really like to see these guys put out more stuff, and maybe start a bit of a movement that goes hard in this style. Just check them out.

Posts: 14427 | Location: Seattle-ish | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post