SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Classic Country Music
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic Country Music Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post

There are much more famous songs from Vern Gosdin, but I’ve always loved this one

Posts: 13154 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Boy that Vern Gosdin song sure does sound a lot like the Bellamy Brothers' Old Hippy.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Listened to the Bellamy Bros. If you say so Big Grin

Posts: 13154 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
To me, classic country is that 80s slightly southern rock feel that included Hank Jr, Willie, and Waylon. So many really good superstars emerged from that time period.

Reba McEntyre
Garth Brooks
George Straight
Clint Black

Many of the old timers did a great job of putting out relevant hits of the “new Nashville sound of that time period- Johnny Cash, George Jones, etc

It is the music of my youth. Much like classic rock is subjective, I think that Bon Jovi, Metallica, ZZ Top, AC/DC have replaced groups like The Beach Boys as classics. Funny part of it was that I never listened to Metallica or AC/DC when the music was popular. Now, it’s very much a part of my playlists. I remember many of of classmates were wearing “Slippery when Wet” T shirts, and I was wearing Hank Jr T shirts and wearing out “Hank Williams Jr Greatest Hits” on cassette.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
To me, classic country is that 80s slightly southern rock feel that included Hank Jr, Willie, and Waylon. So many really good superstars emerged from that time period.

Reba McEntyre
Garth Brooks
George Straight
Clint Black

Many of the old timers did a great job of putting out relevant hits of the “new Nashville sound of that time period- Johnny Cash, George Jones, etc

While I appreciate your opinion on Classic Country, JL, I have to say I don’t agree.

Hank Jr., Willie, and Waylon certainly are Classic Country, but they don’t define it. I would label them a sub-genre “Outlaw Country,” and include David Allen Coe and Johnny Paycheck, maybe Jerry Jeff Walker, and one or two others.

In my opinion, Garth Brooks was a turning point in Country and actually began the movement to Pop Music in Country. Don’t get me wrong, he recorded some songs that were sure enough Country, but he recorded many that weren’t. My opinion is influenced by the fact that I just don’t care for the guy, so there’s that. No argument about the other three.

I’m also not sure you understand “The Nashville Sound” either. Chet Atkins and a guy named Owen Bradley were key in the creation of the Nashville Sound. They wanted Country to be more cosmopolitan and appealing to middle-class urban Americans, and to move away from honky-tonk, pedal steel and fiddle, more rural country (think strings and acoustic piano). I would argue that Johnny Cash and Jones were more old school, at the same time agreeing that Jones’ biggest hit, “He Stopped Loving Her Today,” was solidly in the more sophisticated sound camp created by Atkins and Bradley.

I was blown away by Dwight Yoakum because his signature sound, which came to be called “Bakersfield,” a return to honky-tonk Country: steel guitar, fiddle, twang and barroom lyrics was a big middle finger to the Nashville Sound.

Post something you like, JL, please

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I was a huge fan of Reba and Garth when they were at their peak. Now...not so much. There’s a few classics by each of them that I still enjoy but only a few. Of that era, still a huge fan of Travis Tritt, Marty Stuart, Clint Black, George Strait, Vern Gosdin, Dan Seals....

Posts: 13731 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1538 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Seems appropriate

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4671 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed that, doublesharp

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thanks - Dew Drop Inn was my 2nd home

give this one a chance

Posts: 4671 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Last week, but could have been 30 years ago.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Harlan County songs are always pretty badass

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
A few more from Hoyt:

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
A few more from Hoyt:
Aww, ya forgot “Boney Fingers.” Wink

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post