SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
So it appears i may be looking for an expensive gift. If you had the choice of 15 or 20 yr pappy which would you choose?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 20

Posts: 253 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: March 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I prefer drinking the 15, but only by a small margin, and it's mostly because I like higher proof whiskey better in general, and for taste the sweet spot really seems to be in the 12-18yr range for Bourbons - at least to my tastes, so something about the 15 just works...

Pappy 20 is still delicious, especially old Stitzel Weller stock if that's what it is, but I'll take a 15 and a Lot B over a 20 all day long.

sweet karma, thanks man.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
It was a bit of work, travel, and waiting in line, but probably worth it given the results.

I have yet try try any Van Winkle product, though I'll likely try one these this weekend. My wheater experience is really limited to Maker's and Weller products, and based on the best of those, I think I'll be fine. However, I figured it didn't really matter whether or not I like it, because these will be great trade bait if I don't. In fact, I got an offer already to trade a Lot B for a Birthday Bourbon, but I'd need cash considerations or a player to be named later to make that deal.

I'm really interested in the small barrel aging experiments. I'm thinking about doing the same, but with a cheaper source as a first trial. I was thinking Old Grandad 114 might be a good candidate as the proof approaches a BP offering, it's affordable, readily available here and could offer a good contrast between the beginning and ending product.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I prefer drinking the 15, but only by a small margin, and it's mostly because I like higher proof whiskey better in general, and for taste the sweet spot really seems to be in the 12-18yr range for Bourbons - at least to my tastes, so something about the 15 just works...

Pappy 20 is still delicious, especially old Stitzel Weller stock if that's what it is, but I'll take a 15 and a Lot B over a 20 all day long.

sweet karma, thanks man.

Smile

Haha thanks. And thanks for the trip to jamaica mon...

posted Hide Post
Managed to score a bottle of old forester birthday bourbon and four roses LE here in central Ohio in the same store. Just going in to look and walked out with these two....now if I can just find some pappy!

On, and to the poster who asked about bluegrass barrels. I've had one for a while. The leaking occurs if you keep them in a place that changes temperature/humidity a lot. Evaporation is also another factor. Neat accessory and if you stay on top of if, can produce some enjoyable pours

Posts: 283 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
As i understand it u want the tempature changes as it helps the aging process. Am i wrong?

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Deq

To make the label

http://www.bardstownwhiskeysoc...er/label-ec-2015.php

I think you may need to be a member of the Bardstown whiskey society

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ I agree about OGD114 being a good starter for an aging experiment. Knob Creek Single Barrel, too, at 120proof, though the OGD is a fair amount cheaper than KCSB. Barrel Strength is definitely where it's at, but I figure anything higher than 100proof is fine given the relatively short/compressed aging periods of the smaller barrels so for me the Weller 107 ought to work, too, and I figure any of them will end up higher than 90 in the end, which is fine. In a loose sense, the Weller107 ought to end up Lot B-ish, the OGD114 ought to end up Basil Hayden-ish and higher proof, and Knob Creek Single Barrel ought to end up better than anything Beam puts out when taken from 9yrs to a 12+ equivalent.

Nice score jigray. That bottle of 15 would always have a home here, and I'm willing to help if you need/want it.

@ Deqlyn, Smile

as for temp changes benefiting the aging process, I believe so. as was explained to me some time back, (essentially, and age aside) the key difference between, say, Blanton's and Elmer (or Weller 107 vs Pappy15) is almost entirely the subtle environmental differences between this corner/rick/area of the aging warehouse vs the other, and that comes down to such and such warehouse getting a cool summer breeze in the evenings (or some such). it appears to be both one of the most nebulous and important aspects of flavor, in the end.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I had read that Blantons does not carry an age statement as it is stored metal sided warehouse H, the only steam heated warehouse fir bourbon, so it ages much more rapidly. An age statement on Blantons would therefore be comparing apples to oranges. Apparently aging of bourbon slows dramatically in cold temps.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More Human
Than Human
Picture of Ian111
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons why scotch takes longer to age in Scotland and one reason why it's more expensive than bourbon. Colder over there

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”― Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 9811 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
It was a bit of work, travel, and waiting in line, but probably worth it given the results.

I have yet try try any Van Winkle product, though I'll likely try one these this weekend. My wheater experience is really limited to Maker's and Weller products, and based on the best of those, I think I'll be fine. However, I figured it didn't really matter whether or not I like it, because these will be great trade bait if I don't. In fact, I got an offer already to trade a Lot B for a Birthday Bourbon, but I'd need cash considerations or a player to be named later to make that deal.

I'm really interested in the small barrel aging experiments. I'm thinking about doing the same, but with a cheaper source as a first trial. I was thinking Old Grandad 114 might be a good candidate as the proof approaches a BP offering, it's affordable, readily available here and could offer a good contrast between the beginning and ending product.

if you need help with that, I am in the area and willing to sacrifice some of my liver to try it out,

surely we can get Shugart to help as well,

just sayin

Big Grin

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Scored a bottle of sazerac rye 8 yr. No big deal but its been sold out

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I think baby Saz needs to aerate. After being opened for a few weeks it will taste better IMHO

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone bought a bottle of Elmer T Lee lately? I found a place that had them stacked 6 deep in a row behind the counter but at 49.99 a bottle. Earlier this year I got a bottle for 38, have they gone up or is it the store playing supply and demand.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last bottle of Elmer I found was bought off craigslist for $50 and I was happy to find it. It's one of my favorites and, when I can find it in Louisville, it's close to $100.
My local place got in three bottles of 10yr and three bottles of 12yr Rip Van Winkle and sold all six for $500/each. Things are getting ridiculous

Posts: 253 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: March 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I got two bottles for 29.99 when it was released in the spring. They do two releases a year one fall one spring. Not sure if the fall was released or your seeing left over from the spring.

How much is Blantons in your area. At the prices your quoting you would be better off buying Blantons.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

posted Hide Post
I'll check on the blantons, this must be fall release because I've never seen it in the store since I've started looking for it earlier this year.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Blanton's is $51.99 retail at my store (no tax on liquor in Taxachusetts if you can believe that!) minus my employee discount (heh, heh). Just got our monthly allotment of one (1) case on Monday. And I just finished my latest bottle ("S" top) last night. . . . . . hmmm. Big Grin

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Elmer T Lee is about to get its second release for the year here in a few weeks. In the spring, demand was pretty high initially so it was getting snapped up, but there was enough around that it wasn't hard to find to find after a few weeks, until the release sold out. $33.99 here.

Blantons will disappear from shelves here periodically, but then reappear a few weeks or months later. The wierd thing is the 375 ml bottles are $24.99, and the 750 ml bottles are $57.99. Strange.

Tried the 10 year Old Rip last night. Initial impression was good not great. Want to see what it's like after being open a week or two, but no way it's worth what people will pay for it so far.