SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 131
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I just got a bottle of elmer. I dont dare list the price but its the only in town

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I settled for a bottle of E.H. Taylor small batch after going to a few different small stores. It was alright stuff but Id rather the Elmer or Eagle Rare.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
re the VW 10yr, I like it, but never buy it anymore because the difference between it and Weller 7 or 12 isn't large enough to mess with given the cost and hassle, to me. Lot B shines, as does the VW 15/20/Rye, but most 10yo whiskies fail to stand up and be particularly interesting when older expressions of the same juice is available.

it's somewhat relative, too. I like the 10yr Bulleit a lot, and will happily pay more for it than regular Bulleit, as its both a flavor I like and the 10 is the oldest they offer and the price is reasonable-enough. If they had a 12 or 15 I'd skip the 10, nine times out of ten... h t make no mistake, the VW10 is definitely better than both Wellers and Makers, value aside.

it's like middle sister syndrome, not the first, not the newest, a bit lost in the middle, same genes, good family, same expectations, but it's just not as awesome in light of its siblings.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I just pulled out my last back-stock bottle of the Taylor Barrel Strength.

it was a happy and sad moment at the same time. I need a few more of them, and the Rye.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Just took delivery of the bottles from our barrel of Eagle Rare 10 at the store yesterday - $19.99/375, $33.99/750 and I forgot how we have the 1.5l bottles priced. We got the barrel, too!

I'm slowly weaning myself off of The Macallan single malt scotches (another recent price hike!) and was wondering how the ER10 compares to my Blanton's (jockey tops aside). Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Big Grin

Many thanks,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2833 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like Eagle Rare 10, but every other bottle or so I always end up getting bored with it. Maybe it just doesn't stand out compared to others I drink, it's hard to say?

I prefer Blanton's out of the two (because what I really prefer is Elmer, always have), but I'm a picky bastard, and there's definitely nothing wrong with the Eagle Rare.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I tend to steer away from the high-rye bourbons like Blanton's, so Eagle Rare is it for me. Basil Hayden is about as high-rye as I go most of the time and it is pretty tame despite its high rye content.

Obviously, half the fun is trying stuff and finding out what you like, but does anyone have a good comprehensive source for information like mashbill recipes, ages, etc. that compare and contrast different labels?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ I haven't. I keep two lists in my head: notoriously high Ryes (Basil, OGD114, Bulleit, Four Roses, some WT), and one for Wheaters (Makers, VW, and Weller), which leaves everything else... am I missing some particularly high Ryes? Blanton's and Elmer never seemed that way, though I havn't looked into their recipe in ages, and tastes are so subjective.

today I picked up a bottle of the most recrent release of WT Rare Breed, at 112proof.

and at two independent Liq Stores I visited today Elmer was in short supply and $49.99.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
My store has Rock Hill Farms, has anyone tried it? I'm a big fan of Buffalo Trace distilleries.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4795 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
My store has Rock Hill Farms, has anyone tried it? I'm a big fan of Buffalo Trace distilleries.

I love Rock Hill. I too am a big fan of B.T. and like all their offerings.

Posts: 1650 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where are you seeing rock hill farms and how much?

Posts: 283 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Atlanta stores $57.99

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4795 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biggsig:
Where are you seeing rock hill farms and how much?

Last bottle I saw was at a Kroger Liquor store about 2-3 weeks ago but don't remember the exact price. I think it was in the low $50 range. I should have picked it up but didn't as I already had a couple of other selections.

Posts: 1650 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's being released again in central Ohio....been a long time since I've seen it on shelves

Posts: 283 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
^ I haven't. I keep two lists in my head: notoriously high Ryes (Basil, OGD114, Bulleit, Four Roses, some WT), and one for Wheaters (Makers, VW, and Weller), which leaves everything else... am I missing some particularly high Ryes? Blanton's and Elmer never seemed that way, though I havn't looked into their recipe in ages, and tastes are so subjective.

today I picked up a bottle of the most recrent release of WT Rare Breed, at 112proof.

and at two independent Liq Stores I visited today Elmer was in short supply and $49.99.

Pretty sure Blanton and ETL are BT's mash bill #2 which is a ~15% rye recipe whereas Eagle Rare, BT, EHT, et al are mash bill #1 at around 8% rye. (I read those figures on the Internet so take it with a grain of salt, I guess.)

Besides your list I would say Elijah Craig 12 is a popular high rye bourbon. And I personally think it tastes like pine sol so I feel good that my taste buds are, at least, fairly consistent if not particularly polished.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
My favorite although getting it outside in the New England area is difficult.

V5 ‘Small Batch’ Bourbon #1

http://smokyquartzdistillery.com/products/v5-bourbon/

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I had read that Blantons does not carry an age statement as it is stored metal sided warehouse H, the only steam heated warehouse fir bourbon, so it ages much more rapidly. An age statement on Blantons would therefore be comparing apples to oranges. Apparently aging of bourbon slows dramatically in cold temps.

Woodford Reserve heats and cools their storehouses. I was just there on a tour last week.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Just found a 1.75 of willet!!!! Been looking a few years. Hope its good! Have to get it in MO.

It's very good! Just bought a 1.75 of Willett Pot Still Reserve myself last week at their distillery in KY.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ETL is mashbill #2 - carries no age statement but the tour guide from Buffalo Trace told me it was aged 10yrs. I'm not a huge fan of high rye bourbons but ETL doesn't have that same spice. I'm envious of you all who have it available. I paid $50 for the last bottle I have and I got it off craigslist. Now I'm scared to drink it because I don't know if or when I'll be able to replace it

Posts: 253 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: March 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philomega:
ETL is mashbill #2 - carries no age statement but the tour guide from Buffalo Trace told me it was aged 10yrs. I'm not a huge fan of high rye bourbons but ETL doesn't have that same spice. I'm envious of you all who have it available. I paid $50 for the last bottle I have and I got it off craigslist. Now I'm scared to drink it because I don't know if or when I'll be able to replace it

I have read ETL is 8-13 years old. If you are up for a little drive, VA is just now getting their fall release of Elmer. I just snagged the first 3 bottles I've seen for $32.99. If you are not too far from the border, I'd call the nearest VA ABC store to you (check their website), speak to the manager, and have him order whatever quantity you want. Last spring, it was scarce for the first several weeks due to pent up demand, but was pretty available for almost a month after.

Interesting stuff continues to filter in here. Yellowstone, Stagg, Jr. #5 129.7, and some sort of wood experiment sampler from Jefferson's.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10359 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post