SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Book of Boba Fett (Dec '21)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Book of Boba Fett (Dec '21) Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I think you guys might have expectations that stretch beyond what any humans writing or financing a television show can ever hope to meet.

Let's see here:
- No overt preaching about politics, gender studies, race, equality? Check
- No "CAPITALISM IS BAD DON'T SELL WATER!" Check
- No Mary Sue-ing of anything. Check
- No references or homages to the nasty sequel trilogy. Check

Did you guys think the show should be exactly the same as The Mandalorian? Fett in Slave One flying around taking jobs? I think it's great that they're working to build some mythos around Tatooine, and I think it's great that the character that said, "I intend to rule with respect." practiced what he preached with the wookie. Heaven forbid a character be consistent about anything in current storytelling.

Did the Hutts back off?

Would you all have preferred that the gang ride around on the speeder-bikes from Return Of the Jedi? Pod racers? Do you need those safe references?

I mean it's not all sunshine and lollipops, but we're talking about people that aren't Kathleen Kennedy or JJ Abrams. The guys that brought you Clone Wars, Bad Batch, and Rebels (which are all GREAT storytelling), along with Mandalorian (and Ironman). Seriously, if you haven't watched the Bad Batch, you should - if you claim to be a fan or Star Wars. The last four episodes of the Clone Wars series is some damn fine story-telling.

Then again it's possible that we as Star Wars fans, or fans of science fiction in general, are so conditioned to seeing dog shit everywhere that we see it everywhere, whether it's actually there or not.

EDIT

Okay so you guys are totally entitled to your opinion. I want to preface this with that. Smile That being said, for your consideration: The guys that are bringing you Boba Fett, were also the guys in charge of this episode of The Mandalorian (and more, but I want to focus on this episode):

Chapter 13: The Jedi

Season 2
Episode 5
Directed by Dave Filoni
Written by Dave Filoni
Produced by Jon Favreau

Homeboys brought you something special that pays homage to Leone and Kurosawa both. Do you know what 90% of the people that were critical of the episode complained about? Grogu. The name "Grogu".

The episode has martial combat, assassin droids, a shotgun(!!!) blaster, and a showdown between the Mandalorian and MICHAEL FRICKEN BIEHN. Dudes. Johnny Ringo is in this universe and has a gun fight showdown. Are you kidding me?

On top of that, the episode brings back (again) one of the most iconic and impactful characters Star Wars has seen in the last 15 years: Ahsoka Tano. She's a Togruta (Shaak Ti), and was involved in a ton of stuff during the clone war, quit the Jedi temple after being falsely accused of and subsequently exonerated for murder, helped with the formation of the Rebel Alliance, and confronted Vader in an EPIC scene in Star Wars Rebels. Rosario Dawson nailed the character, IMO.

At the same time, every episode these two produce can't be like that episode, otherwise your universe that these characters inhabit would be boring.

Could they have dirtied up the hover-mopeds? Maybe. Could they have had the wookie rip off one of Fett's arms? Maybe. Should they have a running Fett-body-count every episode? Maybe.

It just seems weird that people went into this show thinking the guy that had one or two lines in all of Star Wars history, who then got accidentally knocked into a toothy sand vagina, should be some kind of raging badass that can fart armies of followers out of his ass and conjure fear out of thin air. Your vision of Boba Fett is a collection of your imagination and time spent with your action figures. And this is what those guys are trying to meet. Impossibly.

You should at the very least watch the rest of the stuff they've done in the Star Wars universe, and then watch the dog-shit-vomit that the "OTHER" team at Lucasfilm has been producing. (Sequel trilogy, Star Wars: Resistance to name a few)

This franchise is in pretty safe hands guys. For real.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I LOVED the first two episodes. I thought it was great story-telling and showed a lot of promise. I was REALLY looking forward to this one.

This episode just sucked, IMO. I am a huge TrekNerd, and there are many ST episodes I refuse to watch and simply pretend don't exist (the Voyager episode where the Captain and helmsman turn into 'Warp Ten Space Lizzards' is a prime example). So, every show is entitled to bad episodes now and then, and it is unreasonable to expect every episode to be great. I personally hated the last episode of Mandalorian Season 1. IMO, of course.

This one was just off. The Skittles Cyber Punk Vespa Gang actually looked cool at first, but was lame in action. That 'car chase' was SOOOOOOOOO bad. The physics and CGI were way off and there was no drama. Fett flew in at the end, and I was thinking 'why didn't he do that a 1/2 hour ago?' I normally try not to gripe about bad CGI (some complain that the Hutt twins look bad), but the bikes looked like really lame effects from a low budget children's show.

Also, 7 heavily armed dudes (4 punks, 2 Gammorans, and Fennec) can't take out a single Wook? Sure, Krrstantan is a cool character, but a) he should have snapped Fett's neck like uncooked spaghetti at the ver beginning, and then b) should've been killed instantly the moment the whole gang showed up. . . I mean, Wookies are tough, but not indestructible.

How is Fett going to have time to train a Rancor?

I hope the story picks up. I like the flashbacks more than the main story, and I agree Fett is going to have to stack some bodies if he wants respect. Even Fennec is tired of his seeming timidity. He just comes across as weak, and it's easy to see why nobody respects him.

Still, I believe he show is better than the last 3 movies. Mando is still better, but I will definitely give them a chance to get in stride.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Really good write-up on this latest epidose (3).

https://www.escapistmagazine.c...coxDVU8rMjTXpEamHdlI

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:

Machete is going to train the Rancor of course.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a dud of an episode....

Uncle Machete showing up...Krrsantan was supposed to kill Fett but, really just tosses him around; not much of a pit-fighter...then there's the local delinquents. I get it, they gotta throw-in a kiddie interest item in there but, do they really have to get so juvenile? Does it have to be so out-of-place?

The premise of Fett attempting to be a crime lord is starting to wane. I'd have been more receptive of him following an arc of piecing himself back together post-Sarlacc, return to Camino to rehabilitate, move in the shadows of the Inner & Mid-Rim territories, etc... I get the per-episode budget limitations the show runners are under, however we've yet to see much for flying-around space-travel, largely bloodless, and both Fennec and Fett have yet on the screen shown how formidable they are; they aren't dangerous. We know who they are in the EU but, on-screen, we haven't seen much.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:. I get the per-episode budget limitations the show runners are under,

I don’t get this. Disney has billions of dollars and can afford to NOT have budget limitations. I guess that’s why they have so much money. They over promise and under deliver time and time again. And everyone falls for it giving them more $. I mean Star Wars is a license to print money so there is no excuse for such budget limitations.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Keeping in mind that this show has to appeal to you fogey-nerd-dudes as well as 7-8 year old kids.

We can't have fight scenes like the one in The Mandalorian where Fett shreds the Storm Troopers in hand-to-hand combat in every episode. Super cool but, any budget they have for this show would go away faster than JJ Abram's audiences if they did that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:. I get the per-episode budget limitations the show runners are under,

I don’t get this. Disney has billions of dollars and can afford to NOT have budget limitations. I guess that’s why they have so much money. They over promise and under deliver time and time again. And everyone falls for it giving them more $. I mean Star Wars is a license to print money so there is no excuse for such budget limitations.

Budgets exist so that there's accountability when the final product is put out there. When you're at the deck-plate level people think money is endless, when you're on the executive team on a production (or any business for that matter), maximizing budget but, not going over the allocated amount, is always on the mind; especially if you've got instructions to stay within the boundaries. If you end-up with a sky's the limit type of budget, you will also have Kennedy, Brennan and all the other distasteful Lucas Film assholes all up in your business, micro-managing every aspect of your production, resulting in that series of abortions called ep.7, 8, 9 and Solo.

Game of Thrones was running between $6-10m/episode, the purse-strings became looser as the season progressed, that show ended 2-years ago. I understand s.1 of The Mandalorean had a $100m overall budget for an 8-show run, s.2 got a bigger chunk after the success of the first season. BoBF is in its first season and Disney is clearly taking a wait & see approach, I don't get it, given the character's popularity and the proven success of Faverau/Filoni but, we've all met that Comptroller/CFO who see's things differently. Roll Eyes

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
return to Camino to rehabilitate

Y'all need to watch Bad Batch.

posted Hide Post
well shit....I'm behind in my cartoon viewing

Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Once I finally recognized Stephen Root crying over the teenagers stealing his water all I could think of was, "Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:

Machete is going to train the Rancor of course.

Rancor Keeeels!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
THIS is how Boba Fett needs to be.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I don't get it, given the character's popularity and the proven success of Faverau/Filoni but, we've all met that Comptroller/CFO who see's things differently. Roll Eyes

Solid point. The rest, very well versed in budgets and explaining shit to executives. They don’t understand anything so you literally have to break things down like you are talking to a 7 year old. It gets old explaining shit to people that don’t have a clue and shouldn’t be making any decisions but this is how things work in the world. Purse/wallet strings owned by talentless, and incompetent hacks.

Disney’s issue is they always do this. They chintz hard. Spend as little as possible and try to extract every got damn nickel and penny out of it. It isn’t about some endless budget or irrational spending. It’s more about spend a little bit more, 10-20%, and inject some quality into your product. That won’t happen at Disney. Too many opinions in production and just too many hands in the cookie jar.

It’s like their discs. Disney is very wealthy. They can afford to produce top tier 4k blu rays and be best in industry. Instead they are the worst. All their discs are compressed, limited range, and awful. The mastering just makes no sense and they know it. Every disc, people complainnabout it and they do zero. Because at the same time they just have too many sycophants who will buy it anyway. It’s the same chintzy behavior and philosophy as the rest of their shit. Excuse me, just tired of them buying shit I loved and ruining it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Five pages. Long posts. I’ll keep mine brief: I think it sucks.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The Sarlac seems to be incredibly active for a creature that digests its food over the course of centuries.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still enjoying the show.

But, timeline wise, seems Boba was in the Sarlac pit/with the sand people about 5 years given Mandalorian took place about 5 years after ESB...

That's a long time for Slave 1 to be stuck in Jabba's palace, still being guarded...

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
At least an arm got ripped off.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
At least an arm got ripped off.

LOL, I had the exact same thought.

At this point, the flashback parts of the show are a lot more interesting than the “present” segments. But, it’s always good to see Max Rebo still rocking’ it, although not sure how he managed to escape Jabba’s Sail Barge.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
THIS is how Boba Fett needs to be.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5rThyXdVrxE" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

That’s pretty much how he was at the end of The Mandalorian. Went up and just capped Bib Fortuna.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post