SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Book of Boba Fett (Dec '21)
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Book of Boba Fett (Dec '21) Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Comments seen elsewhere today:

“I’m tired of working for idiots.”
*Flies ship into Sarlaac pit*

“I intend to rule with respect.”
*Intimidates rabbit droid*

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Comments seen elsewhere today:

“I’m tired of working for idiots.”
*Flies ship into Sarlaac pit*

“I intend to rule with respect.”
*Intimidates rabbit droid*

LOL. Yeah the Sarlaac pit, he didn’t fly into it but he sure rammed his got damn face in it from the ship like an idiot.

It’d been a better series to let him Tony Soprano the whole thing. Just act mobbish and do mob shit and everyone would have loved it. Instead he’s trying to be nice guy mob dude.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh, killing the Sarlacc first may have been the smarter thing to do and would someone really expect to see some pieces of armor by shining spotlights down there?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3536 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Went to watch the latest episode with my son, and he was asking where did Mando get the darksaber? I realized he never did watch the Mandalorian season 2 so we watched it.

Mandalorian is by far the superior show, and the Fett in that season was the superior Fett to the one we have gotten in this show.

Mandalorian had a better story, better characters, more action in one episode than Fett has had so far total, just overall better. Book of Fett has brought us one kinda cool looking Wookie who hasn't done much.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Uh, killing the Sarlacc first may have been the smarter thing to do and would someone really expect to see some pieces of armor by shining spotlights down there?

What bugged me is that he crawled out of the pit WITH HIS ARMOR on. He was then knocked out by the Jawas, who then stole his armor. Why would he still be looking inside the Sarlac for his armor? Did he FORGET he had his armor on when he was outside the pit? Did he think he took his armor off and THEN crawled out?

And, shining a light inside from 3 feet above the ground was just dumb, IMO. Like he can see his armor in a massive underground creature by trying to shine a light into its mouth? Oh, and the most skilled bounty hunter from the Star Wars universe, who captured Han Solo and argued toe to toe with Darth Vader, chasing a rat-catcher droid around a kitchen like some sort of buffoon.

It's as though they don't take the show seriously. corsair stated a page ago that they seem to have lost interest in this show, and have just thrown together a quick 7 (now, 6) episodes to satisfy the fans, while they concentrate on their REAL interest; Mando. Maybe it's a proprietary thing - they invented Mando, so all money from that character is theirs alone, whereas Boba Fett was invented decades ago, and they may need to pay royalties to the originators of the character? I know this is why they renamed a key character from Star Trek: Voyager (Tom Parris, who is the exact same character as Nicolas Lacarno from the Next Generation episode "The First Duty"). It was the same actor with the same backstory; but a different name/character so they didn't have to give royalties to the Next Gen writers. . .

The first 2 episodes blew me away. Now, I will watch the remaining episodes to see how they (yet again) disappoint me, as I wait for Season 3 of Mando to start.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Maybe it's a proprietary thing - they invented Mando, so all money from that character is theirs alone, whereas Boba Fett was invented decades ago, and they may need to pay royalties to the originators of the character?

You know, as with all things Star Wars, it's probably about the merchandising, as it always has been. I read an article years back which stated that merchandise using the likeness of the original characters paid 75% of the profits to Lucas, not Disney. It's purportedly the reason they came up with a whole new cast for the sequel trilogy rather than heavily featuring any of the original cast, and why C3PO had a red arm, because it factored as a significant change in likeness. Merchandise featuring Rey means Disney gets all the profits. Merchandise with the likeness of R2D2 means Disney gets 25% of the profits. By extension, Disney gets all profits of any merchandise of Din Djarin and fuck Boba Fett because there's no money in it.

It's not tinfoil hatting, conspiracy theory talk, it's just numbers and what they give a shit about putting the effort into. I think they've put about 25% of the effort into this show that they put into The Mandalorian. The math seems to bear out.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's not tinfoil hatting, conspiracy theory talk, it's just numbers...

Now that makes sense. . .

Maybe they can do a spin-off show with Fennec (Ming Na Wen's character). She has more guts and attitude than this version of Boba Fett. . .

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Maybe she was just tweaking the engine part when she reached in?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Maybe it's a proprietary thing - they invented Mando, so all money from that character is theirs alone, whereas Boba Fett was invented decades ago, and they may need to pay royalties to the originators of the character?

You know, as with all things Star Wars, it's probably about the merchandising, as it always has been.

Plausible. Merchandising considerations is not an insignificant revenue stream with these types of shows/movies. Not sure that would reason such an underwhelming effort like we're seeing though. Not saying things are deliberate here but it's odd how the plot, the story, the directing, the characters, the overall tempo..is a few rungs below what we've seen and come to expect, from the creators of the Mandalorian.

Some sharp barbs and humorous points

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Not saying things are deliberate here but it's odd how the plot, the story, the directing, the characters, the overall tempo..is a few rungs below what we've seen and come to expect, from the creators of the Mandalorian.

I wouldn't say it's deliberate, but I think it's fair to say that it doesn't look like they give half as much a damn about this show as they do The Mandalorian. They've put more time and money into the show that's going to bring them a bigger return in terms of merchandising.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Has anyone noticed that woke Disney will not let Boba Fett refer to the name of his ship anymore? Wasn’t it always Slave 1?

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It is and always will be Slave I. Lego was asked by Disney to drop the slave moniker.

—-

Wow. Today’s episode. More fan service.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chowser,

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Episode 6 - wow.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Curious how all that will play out next week...

Posts: 184 | Registered: September 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like they decided they needed to buy some time for some re-writes and slipped in an episode of The Mandalorian. This show sucks, and having an entire episode of Din Djarin only throws that into sharp relief.

I wasn’t sure after episode 5, but episode 6 cements it: You are right!

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
There’s no way they didn’t have this planned out. That crap with Luke isn’t some overnight science project.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9159 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I think that was meant for The Mandalorian, not Book of Boba Fett. I think this episode and the last one were re-purposed while they come up with re-writes. All of the last episode and the great bulk of this one had not one fucking thing to do with the titular character. It’s all plot arcs from the preceding show. Yes, Boba Fett himself was one of those plot arcs, but this is supposedly about him, so what’s the point in all the crossover? They could have cut 90% of the crap in this show and had it as a couple episodes’ worth of content in The Mandalorian, and it would’ve worked better.

That said, this episode was fan service pretty well done. I’ve been waiting to see Luke as a Jedi following the vents of the original trilogy, and going into the EU stuff for a long time. I don’t care what show it happened in, I wanted it, and I got it. I didn’t like that he gave Grogu a choice, but it’ll be interesting to see what he chooses.

I don't like that they're having Luke take this New Republic era outlook of the Jedi on attachment. That thinking is what fucked Anakin up, and destroyed the order. Yoda and Obi Wan trained Luke in a different way. When Yoda sent Luke into the cave to face the darkness in himself, that was a growth in thinking, a change from flatly ignoring the dark side. Luke had all sorts of attachments to people - nearly every major character in the original trilogy, and was attached to the idea of saving his father, which led to fulfillment of the prophecy. He was a human, with human emotions and didn't deny that stuff and try to live a monk-like existence. Luke's rebirth of the Jedi order was different, and he embraced attachment. He married Mara Jade FFS! So this shit about "you can't be a Jedi if you choose attachment" honestly bugs me. But, it's on screen and it's canon now, so I guess we'll see where they go with it.

This video talks about some of that stuff, the change in thinking on Old Republic Era Jedi dogma:

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
This isn't Southpark, where they can churn out a new episode in as little as seven days. These Star Wars episodes take weeks, if not a month or two, per episode in order to film and do post-production. This entire series was filmed prior to the release of the first episode.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
This entire series was filmed prior to the release of the first episode.

Right. And what I'm suggesting could be done in the editing room.

If I'm wrong, it's only out of an attempt to throw them a bone. If I'm wrong, then this is really just a completely disjointed mess of a show.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Wow, Boba Fett had a short cameo in his own show. I think he actually had a speaking part. Roll Eyes

This is a deliberate decision to crap on Boba Fett, while hyping Mando. This was S3E2 of The Mandalorian, and they STILL haven't moved the story along. One final episode to cram all this 'spice war' crap in - it will be a disjointed and rushed mess.

They started out so well, only to purposefully flush the character down the drain and waste 2/7ths of the show's episodes. I honestly wish they had never made this show.

I see now why some hate 'Disney Wars' so badly. . .