SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Last of Us TV series
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Last of Us TV series Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The last episode was really cool Joel got thirty hits with that bolt action rifle , I need one of those, who needs an AR. LOL

Posts: 163 | Location: Murrells inlet SC | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So this most recent ep confirms some things that have annoyed me about the show's version of events. I've mentioned my annoyance at the retconning but I've also noticed some major infected areas are not even touched on. I wonder if this is to give people who play the game a different experience perhaps but I'm also wondering if the SFX makeup and extras are more expensive than people so they are cutting corners and not delivering on what would be some of the highlights of the game. It cant be for the benefit of the story as there is a ton of tension cut from the lack of infected and the unique challenges offered. In fairness, being trapped in a building with a heterosexual white male is apparently more terrifying than a clicker to the execs.

So far I stick by the game's version of events and I'm leaning towards a dislike of the show but again, I am colored by my dislike of Druckman and his revisionist woke bullshit. I at first appreciated the divergence but I now am finding myself annoyed. It's a shame, I like the actors and the acting is fine but the plot wandering for messaging and constant shortcutting is getting to me.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tennisman:
The last episode was really cool Joel got thirty hits with that bolt action rifle , I need one of those, who needs an AR. LOL

I never played the game so I don't know what weapons are available or if a bolt action rifle is Joel's signature weapon (or maybe it's the .44, IDK) however I believe Hollywood is trying hard to omit the AR-15/M4 whenever possible because they don't want to glamorize it. Hell they've already gone and straight up lied about ammo availability when 5.56/.223 is a NATO round and is probably the most available ammo in America followed closely by 9mm.

I love my bolt actions but in a scenario like that nothing beats an AR-15, AK-47 or any semiauto rifle with a box magazine that is able to accept a variety of different attachments.

quote:
I'm also wondering if the sfx makeup and extras are more expensive than people so they are cutting corners

There's a video after EP5 that explains how they use real actors for the infected and have a "motion consultant" to coach the actors on how to move their bodies. To your point they came right out and said CGI/FX will never capture all the little mannerisms and details that comes with live actors performing the role which is why they use so many extras.

Posts: 800 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind the game is a bit of survival horror and as such has to build elements into it to purposely hobble the player. Things like crowbars that break after X uses or generally not being able to pick up extra mags etc. from fallen enemies or sticking with a bolt action for parts of the game. That artificial stuff drove me crazy in the games.

So my guess is some of that is being shown in the show, so to speak. What always annoyed the hell out of me was not being able to pick up extra pistol mags or rifle mags etc. I realized you can't travel with 1100lbs of gear but I damn sure could make 6 or 8 Glock mags workable in the apocalypse.

As for the ammo availability comment, come on we've all been through simple supply and political issues that all but emptied ammo from the shelves. After 20 years of an apocalypse I would imagine any ammo would be scare especially the more popular 5.56/9mm so that scene is not out of place so to speak.

So yeah I think, like the game, they are trying artificially hobble the main characters to drive home that survival/horror aspect but in a movie/tv narrative it makes far less sense to the audience. If I had a pickup truck an access to a bunker full of gear and weapons like in episode three, that truck would have been loaded to the gills, understanding that I might lose it all at some point but at least I would be flush up to that point and at that point I would have a better choice of gear and options to fit my more current situations.

All In all I've only watched the first 4 episodes and I am very happy with the show up to that point with 3 being largely un-necessary yet well acted.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When he killed that FEDRA guy he took his rifle but left behind all his ammo pouches and mags. Seemed dumb.

Hard to believe .270 Winchester ammo is more readily available than 5.56.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Guys, the show is about people. Specifically, about a man rebuilding his connection with life after being forced to travel with a girl roughly the same age as his daughter who died tragically 20 years earlier.

It's not a survival apocalypse primer guide.

Guns and survival mechanics are not actually the important part; suspend your disbelief.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Guys, the show is about people. Specifically, about a man rebuilding his connection with life after being forced to travel with a girl roughly the same age as his daughter who died tragically 20 years earlier.

Guns and survival mechanics are not actually the important part; suspend your disbelief.

Well said. In the same way that Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer-winning THE ROAD is a gut-wrenching but poignant tale of a father's fear-torn love for his child in a hopeless setting, one misses a great deal if they simply read it as another struggle-to-survive-in-the-ashes apocalyptic novel. Again, it's about people, about familial love. If THE LAST OF US was just yet-one-more zombie apocalyptic thriller I doubt I would have even bothered to tune in, and my wife certainly wouldn't have. Instead, both of us are really enjoying the beautifully-shot show and are invested in the characters and their struggles, both emotional and survival, and how the past influences the present.

I have no idea how true to the game it is...I don't play games, so I'd never even heard of the game until this show. While I understand comparisons between the game and the show will be inevitable, I think it's important to treat each as a separate entity -- two different mediums to tell what are apparently slightly different (though complementary) stories -- and set expectations according the audiences they each serve.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Okay. I get it it's far out fiction but it's not a license to just do things willy-nilly that are nonsensical with no regard to how things in the world and the laws of nature actually are. Let me say again, I enjoy the series, still I feel pointing out stupid stuff is permissible.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:

Okay. I get it it's far out fiction but it's not a license to just do things willy-nilly that are nonsensical with no regard to how things in the world and the laws of nature actually are. Let me say again, I enjoy the series, still I feel pointing out stupid stuff that could have easily been avoided is permissible.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:

Okay. I get it it's far out fiction but it's not a license to just do things willy-nilly that are nonsensical with no regard to how things in the world and the laws of nature actually are. Let me say again, I enjoy the series, still I feel pointing out stupid stuff is permissible.

The game would drive you insane in this regard. Smile

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not a gamer. My son loves this game.

As to the comment above, I don’t think these shows are survival primers. I do however think injecting the mildest amount of realism doesn’t hurt. I suspend disbelief when I watch a zombie show. Asking me to do it over and over ad nauseum gets exhausting. I don’t care that he shot the bolt action 30 something times. I do hate putting the rifle (AR) away by saying rounds are tough to come by after leaving the FEDRA guys ammo behind. Plus, if ammo is tight the solution is to not use it on your deadly cross country trek to Wyoming? Huh?

Suspend disbelief sure. Don’t make me feel like an idiot. He won’t carry around that AR but all of a sudden he’s toting a 270 Winchester around. What the fuck?

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
The game would drive you insane in this regard. Smile

Yep. I just got shot, let me bandage my arm to replenish my health. Whew, back at 100%.
Especially the entire crafting part too.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Did the Fedra guy have extra ammo. I thought I remember thinking looks like he only had a mag in the rifle. I might be misremembering I didn’t pay too close of attention.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
In what episode? If you're talking about the old man with the bolt action at the end of the street in episode 5, he wasn't Fedra. And I didn't see any extra ammo but it could have been in the pockets of his coat.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
...I believe Hollywood is trying hard to omit the AR-15/M4 whenever possible because they don't want to glamorize it. Hell they've already gone and straight up lied about ammo availability when 5.56/.223 is a NATO round and is probably the most available ammo in America followed closely by 9mm.

I love my bolt actions but in a scenario like that nothing beats an AR-15, AK-47 or any semiauto rifle with a box magazine that is able to accept a variety of different attachments.

As I recall the show starts in 2003 which is when the pandemic hit. If that is the case then the Clinton gun ban hadn't sunset yet. So it is understandable that AR-15's wouldn't be in great supply or any other box magazine fed rifle.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
In what episode? If you're talking about the old man with the bolt action at the end of the street in episode 5, he wasn't Fedra. And I didn't see any extra ammo but it could have been in the pockets of his coat.

I think he is referring to the Fedra soldier he killed as they were escaping the Boston quarantine zone.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Yeah the dude outside of Boston Joel beats down.

I know several of the militia dudes in ep. 4 had chest rigs with extra mags but I didn’t think the first FEDRA dude did.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Six episodes in and you're still refering to the first one? In any case, the Fedra guard had a bunch of pouches on him but nothing was clearly visible. The scene was dark, the camera was focused mostly on his upper chest and face, and the way he was holding the rifle makes it nearly impossible to get a clear view of what he's got on. And there were other guards closing in on them, so maybe Joel didn't have time to grab them.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’m only through ep. 4. Be a while before I catch the rest.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I like the last two episodes. As said above its a people story.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post