SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Last of Us TV series
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Last of Us TV series Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It's the end of the world and they wanted to be happy and close to the source material (albeit more drawn out).

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Well it wasn't fine for me.
Can we at least ONCE have a normal show that an agenda isn't promoted.
I did FFWD through the nauseating part but seemed it was quite long or seemed so.
It was DVR's so I stopped the recording and deleted the show.
Done with it. Mad

Why does everything have to be an agenda? The Pro 2nd Amendment / Anti-government messaging isn't enough for you? What's wrong with making a show that might appeal to a larger demographic?

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
What's wrong with making a show that might appeal to a larger demographic?

Hey, if you are into that shit - then knock yourself out.
It's not for me.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am disappointed with Episode 3 in that they spent a lot of time developing what I thought would be two very interesting characters only to kill them off before they even interacted with the main characters.

I thought Episode 3 was very good. But I failed to see why it was necessary to advance the plot.

That's what I thought was kind of cool about the standalone, near-two decade long episode...it wasn't created to advance the plot, but rather just show a slice-of-life amid the apocalypse, one that was only tangentially connected to the overarching story, how those who weren't part of the main story survived and dealt with the emotional and psychological trauma/struggle. I don't play the game, so the absence of the linear connection that's presumably there in the game didn't bother me. This so far looks to be a show about characters, more than anything, and how they react in a new world, and I thought it was nice that they took a brief, one-episode time-out to focus on that aspect rather than the heroic voyage theme that will presumably drive the rest of the series.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's always pretty sad to see the people that react to nearly any acknowledgement that gay people exist with "OMG, THEY ARE SHOVING AN AGENDA DOWN MY THROAT!"

I've been enjoying the show so far. Never played the game though I was aware of it and knew the story in a general sense. I can see both sides of the opinion on episode 3 in regard to focus or lack thereof on main characters. It was well done enough I enjoyed it and could see it standing alone as a sort of vignette of the apocalypse. In the end it did move the main story forward.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:

That's what I thought was kind of cool about the standalone, near-two decade long episode...it wasn't created to advance the plot, but rather just show a slice-of-life amid the apocalypse, one that was only tangentially connected to the overarching story, how those who weren't part of the main story survived and dealt with the emotional and psychological trauma/struggle. I don't play the game, so the absence of the linear connection that's presumably there in the game didn't bother me. This so far looks to be a show about characters, more than anything, and how they react in a new world, and I thought it was nice that they took a brief, one-episode time-out to focus on that aspect rather than the heroic voyage theme that will presumably drive the rest of the series.

This is how I pretty much felt with the game as well. Yes it was a "zombie shooter" of sorts but, the more you played and really got into it, it was more the about the story and the characters journeys than just getting from point A to point B and killing things in between.

GAME SPOILERS:

Frank for all intents and purposes was not a "official" character in the game. When you first meet Bill he mentioned he had a partner but that was it. They had a falling out and his partner left at some earlier point, and Joel actually only knew Bill and didn't know who Frank was.
It's not until pretty much the end of the section with Bill when his name was mentioned after finding his body and Bill identified him as Frank, his partner. And it also pretty much wasn't until that point that you really knew for sure what he ment by partner from the way he reacted.

As for Bill in the game, you don't actually get any real "story" for him other than being someone that Joel knows.
Episode 3 was described by Niel as being a "happy ending" for Bill and Frank because of how Frank died in the game and Bill being on his own, unlike the show where they are together and happy.

Posts: 482 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
So I need to know, as someone who didn't play the game, how did Frank die?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
So I need to know, as someone who didn't play the game, how did Frank die?

I can't figure out how to do a messaging thing here so I'm sending you a email so as not to spoil thing too much more for others Big Grin

Posts: 482 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the email, sir!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Thanks for the email, sir!

Any time Smile

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Definitely not as happy an ending in the game as opposed to the show.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I'm still liking the show. A lot.

Yeah, I even found myself pausing it, and looking over at the wife and saying "Whelp, THERE it is" as they went over the top with it.

But then after that, I found myself rivited to the way they told the story. honestly, it wouldn't be any different, or any better or worse of a story if it was a heterosexual couple.

Other than some kissing, there wasn't anything beyond a PG rating (hell, probably a G rating today".

But it was well done, and Nick Offerman did a great job. Certainly different than his signature role as a "Man's man".

I liked the instant distrust between him and Joel, and the instant trust between their partners. I found myself rolling my eyes in a playfully mocking fashion at my wife, cause that would be us.

Beyond that, I was infuriated at the tactical stupidity of everyone... Using a bolt action rifle instead of the hundreds of guns you have in the basement, burying the AR and keeping at .44mag for "ammo concerns" or not taking any guns fromt he basement (or the thousands of rounds any real "prepper" would have for 5.56 ammo)...

Those aside... I thought it was a good episode.

I'm still liking the show and still watching. It's not often I can even see my wife watching so closely. She mostly watches TV as a background to playing on her phone. She actually set the phone down for most of this show.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The thing that gets me with the sex scene is that people can't relate to it so therefore it's absolutely irresponsible for the showrunners to include it. But, for most of us, the emotional aspect of their love is something we can all relate to and is perfectly acceptable.

Filmmakers need to consider their audience as a whole, rather than trying to cater to a specific category. Gay characters are fine as long as straight viewers can relate to them somehow.

Having said all that, that episode is over and we should move on.

Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
It was more man love than I care to watch but even if it was a traditional relationship I would think having a full episode of it was a bit much.

Still looking forward to the next episode.

JC

Posts: 1267 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why does everything have to be an agenda?
That's a good question. You should pose it to those who are putting their agenda on the screen and sticking it in our faces 24/7 anywhere and everywhere.

No one should need this unwillingenss to accept this crap explained to them and no one should have to justify their disdain for having this stuff plopped into the middle of a TV show.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I'm enjoying the show I tried the podcast and some of the creators are woke Dbags. Probably torn their rotator cuffs patting themselves on the back. That's pretty unfortunate.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's all the more reason to balk at having this manure shoveled at us.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
It's always pretty sad to see the people that react to nearly any acknowledgement that gay people exist with "OMG, THEY ARE SHOVING AN AGENDA DOWN MY THROAT!"

Because it is everywhere, all the time; on TV shows, movies, commercials, sports, etc. etc. etc. And yet homosexuals comprises less than 5% of the country's population.

There is a word for this- "pandering".

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yep. It's everywhere these days, and it is most certainly and without any doubt at all, an agenda. If you can't or won't see the truth of this, that's your problem alone.

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I have to say when I saw Nick Offerman, my first thought was that Ron Swanson was hiding from Tammy #1. the thought of Tammy #1 becoming a worse form of an Undead/Mutated Creature is just too terrifying.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post