SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Last of Us TV series
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Last of Us TV series Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Do you get bothered by inaccurate or nonsensical depictions of orbital mechanics or relativistic physics in sci-fi movies? I bet there are some super smart people out there whose favorit-ist thing is science-y nerd stuff. They'll get downright pedantic about it, if the science isn't spot on. Even when the movie isn't about the space stuff--it's just plot device and mental shortcuts to have the audience fill in scene and setting...

That's what's happening here. The gun stuff bothers us because we're gun people, but it's literally unimportant background filler.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Do you get bothered by inaccurate or nonsensical depictions of orbital mechanics or relativistic physics in sci-fi movies? I bet there are some super smart people out there whose favorit-ist thing is science-y nerd stuff. They'll get downright pedantic about it, if the science isn't spot on. Even when the movie isn't about the space stuff--it's just plot device and mental shortcuts to have the audience fill in scene and setting...

That's what's happening here. The gun stuff bothers us because we're gun people, but it's literally unimportant background filler.

Maybe for some. I draw a distinction between far out sci-fi (space ships traveling at 10x the speed of light, ray guns etc.) and actual people, with actual firearms and things used today in mostly human relationships that we can somewhat relate to. And it's not just gun related things, but they seem so obviously wrong it's hard not to notice. No, they don't need to get it perfect, but inconsistencies do nothing to enhance the story line, and getting it right does so at least to some extent. But meh, I get past it if I'm enjoying the story line.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a limited amount of times I will go to the I believe button. That refers to suspending disbelief at their actions not the science. I have zero issue with pretending robots have feelings and hyperspace and light sabers. My issue is with making continued stupid choices that have more to do with common sense, continuity, and rational thought than exploring if the science is valid.

If ammo is limited ok, but what good does leaving it behind do? It wasn't empty and it sure would beat a sharp stick and then later he now apparently has no issue carrying a different rifle that obviously will be harder to feed. It is like he has two completely different thoughts about the same issue in basically the same episode. That gets tiresome because it is the epitome of lazy writing. Which these guys aren't because the writing is overall pretty good.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I just want shows to be consistent. The writing should agree with itself and the world that has been constructed around the story.

The show is absolutely about survival. That's not just circumstance. It is the entire driver of the story.

And Joel is supposed to be very good at survival. So he should make good choices.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The outbreak and collapse happened in 2003. How ubiquitous was ammo for an AR in 2003 given the AWB sunset in 2004? That would inform his decision to leave the AR behind. If the only real source of ammo was with FEDRA and the like and he wasn’t going on a suicide mission it makes sense. He’s also still carrying a revolver even after having his choice from Bill’s armory. Maybe it’s comfort level. Never played the game so don’t know what the options are there. Not everybody is or becomes a gun guy. There are plenty of gun owners happy to know nothing more than revolvers and bolt action rifles.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
The outbreak and collapse happened in 2003. How ubiquitous was ammo for an AR in 2003 given the AWB sunset in 2004? That would inform his decision to leave the AR behind. If the only real source of ammo was with FEDRA and the like and he wasn’t going on a suicide mission it makes sense. He’s also still carrying a revolver even after having his choice from Bill’s armory. Maybe it’s comfort level. Never played the game so don’t know what the options are there. Not everybody is or becomes a gun guy. There are plenty of gun owners happy to know nothing more than revolvers and bolt action rifles.

This is a fair point. Most of us here are probably fairly comfortable and capable across a wide spectrum of arms and this is not the case with the average person. Comfort and personal capability does play a part as well. If I can run a revolver like it’s a part of me but generally shoot semi autos for shit maybe I do forego the Glock on the ground vs old trusty six for sure. Keep in mind the average person certainly isn’t “training or practicing” during the last 2 decades.

That said, it’s a show/game about relationships and redemption and hard choices set against an apocalyptic backdrop and that is the main focus, as was said above. Besides the world comes apart at the seams I am sure between the stress, wear and tear, lack of nutrition and just general mental breakdowns however large or small would play a big part into making seemingly bad choices vs. sitting behind my PS5 with a sammich and a soda yelling at the character as my fat ass lounges in my easy chair. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well now as a gun guy I will engage on that. I love the iconic Python in TWD, the revolver is cool in this one as well. It just isn't practical. There is no scenario we can dream up where in 2003 38Spl/357 is easier to come by than 9mm. Plus these zombies seems to need a lot of bullets to put them down. At least in TWD the Python had a reason to be there, in this show it is a little more nebulous. Seems I would upgrade at some point in this dystopian future.

TWD always drove me crazy because I (gun guy) always thought a suppressed 22 for the zombie head shots made sense. You could literally kill them silently and carry a thousand rounds in your backpack without complaint.

Now that is a gun guy complaint. Continuity complaint is TWD got real bad at this as it wore along. I hope this one does better.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I mean I’m a gun guy too and I certainly am not grabbing an N Frame for the apocalypse unless that is my only option and if it was I would upgrade to something mag fed at first opportunity. Smile

But let’s face it Chuck Schumer farts and ammo disappears for 2-5 years, if society ends…..well the crowbar in the game is looking more realistic. Razz

All in all I am super happy with the show up to episode 4 in tone, art direction, writing, staying fairly true to the game etc. as far as video game to movie/TV adaptions go this is by far one of if not the best that has been done.

It gives me hope that the Fallout series Amazon is working on might not be total crap.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
The show is absolutely about survival. That's not just circumstance. It is the entire driver of the story.

Actually it isn't...the driver of the story. That's what the game is about.

The driver of the story is the development of the relationship between the two main characters...and how other relationships help theirs transform

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
14 year old lesbians. Nice.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
So far, 29% of all episodes have basically revolved around gayness- and a decided lack of fungus creatures which truth be told is why I had tuned in to the first place. I’m told the game has the gay component with the affected characters but seriously doubt as much time is invested in it as the show. If you Google the topic, the web is awash with articles about how beautiful the story line is, while bashing anyone that complains as homophonic. Woke will kill the potential of this series if it keeps up like this.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
...I believe Hollywood is trying hard to omit the AR-15/M4 whenever possible because they don't want to glamorize it. Hell they've already gone and straight up lied about ammo availability when 5.56/.223 is a NATO round and is probably the most available ammo in America followed closely by 9mm.

I love my bolt actions but in a scenario like that nothing beats an AR-15, AK-47 or any semiauto rifle with a box magazine that is able to accept a variety of different attachments.

As I recall the show starts in 2003 which is when the pandemic hit. If that is the case then the Clinton gun ban hadn't sunset yet. So it is understandable that AR-15's wouldn't be in great supply or any other box magazine fed rifle.

Yes the AWB hadn't sunset yet however US civilian firearm/ammo sales pale in comparison to what our military and others around the world buy and stock. 5.56/.223 was the standard military rifle caliber since Vietnam. There's more 5.56mm ammo available/stocked up than any bolt action caliber. The AWB would make getting a AR-15/M4/M16 difficult for a civilian but he already had one which makes no sense for him to get rid of it. The girl wanted a gun so let her carry it until they find more ammo. Put yourself in that situation. Are you ditching a perfectly good firearm that is a far superior self defense weapon in comparison to a bolt action rifle? Most of us would find a way to carry that extra <10lbs because in the long run it would be to our benefit.

As for the "story about people" excuse, sorry but I expect more. Give me some common sense and believability with my story please.

Posts: 800 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, another boring episode with gayness shoved at us. That whole time at the mall lasted far too long. If you want to see a good scifi series on HBO, watch “Raised by Wolves.”

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5160 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
Yeah, another boring episode with gayness shoved at us.
Shocking

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s the Last of Us because everybody goes gay. Fungus zombies and lack of breeding end us.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, another boring episode with gayness shoved at us. That whole time at the mall lasted far too long. If you want to see a good scifi series on HBO, watch “Raised by Wolves.”

Unfortunately, does not show up on HBOMax using the search function. Looks like it’s dropped off?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

Unfortunately, does not show up on HBOMax using the search function. Looks like it’s dropped off?
That show ran 2 seasons, was never finished, and was cancelled... Unfortunately.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Ellie is hard.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Ellie is hard.

Just a lil bit.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
All the gunshots, screaming, and the blazing inferno wouldn't have alerted any of the other townsfolk? Hmm...

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post