SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Last of Us TV series
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Last of Us TV series Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
The third episode, I just fast forwarded pretty much the entire episode. I don't want to watch 2 guys in love and then showing them in bed and doing whatever. No reason for it other than someone to follow/promote an agenda.

Also, I am no prude but there is an awful lot of swearing for no reason other than to just do it. It bothers me that they have the young girl doing it just because. I get she is older in real life but the character, and she even looks like it, is supposedly 14 y/o.

People swear. Smugglers and other people living on the edge of society swear more than most. People living in a dystopian future probably swear than most of us. And the girl would pick it up, and the adults around her wouldn't stop her. That seems completely realistic and likely. Don't mistake your preferences for what seems a likely outcome under the circumstances.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Maybe my childhood was unique in that I swore like a wounded pirate whenever I wasn't around adults. While I understand that adults don't want to hear children swearing, I'm often left wondering if some people don't realize that children are actually capable of doing so.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand people/kids swear but in the show, to me, it is a little unnecessary, especially if kids watch this stuff. It seems more and more shows are using/encouraging swearing just for the shock factor.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
We swore like sailers growing up. Not in front of parents.

Keep in mind the portrayal is basically spot on from the game language and all. Also keep in mind this show nor the game are meant for kids.

Hell I swear like crazy now. The F word is the most versatile word ever. Noun, verb, adjective etc. the F bomb has you covered. Throw me into an apocalypse and I would likely be the Shakespeare of colorful metaphors so to speak.

Your comment did remind me of a hilarious story about my long passed grandmother. She and her neighbor were outside talking and the neighbor was complaining about the kids today and the language being all f this and f that it’s just deplorable. My 70 some year old grandmother took a sip of coffee, looked over at her and said “Nettie, fuck you.” She was hilarious. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I've seen all over the internet where people cried for episode 3. I almost cried when they threw Rgnar in the pit of snakes in Vikngs but I didnt! I almost laughed at this episode (3) but it was so stupid that I didn't! This world has gone as soft as salt water taffy left in a hot car on an August day!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
They apparently moved the air day to Friday? New episode available.

I certainly hope Joel keeps that rifle. It's got the unlimited ammo hack.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Maybe my childhood was unique in that I swore like a wounded pirate whenever I wasn't around adults.

Maybe, but this was my childhood as well and I’ve never stopped. My wife hates it and I’m very lucky that it hasn’t gotten me in trouble at work, so far.

As for the series overall, I’m just disappointed. Considering the acting talent they brought together this seems like it could have been so much more.

I’ll keep watching because it isn’t bad by any stretch. But I wish I had just waited for HBO to release all the episodes and then just binged watched it. Now I’m stuck paying for three months of HBO instead of just one.

At least I got Station 11 out of it.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the game's version of EP4, It works but I still prefer the original. One thing that is bugging me is that they are using the show to retcon things they want to "fix" about the first game.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

They moved this week's episode to Friday because the Superb Owl is Sunday.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Ah, I totally ignore those sportsball contests. I actually thought it had already happened. Smart move on HBO’s part, though.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Not to mention he can dome strike a zombie, in the dark, from an angle, from distance.

Although the made for tv stress jam brings it down a notch.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Solid fourth episode...the previews for the fifth look even better.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I just started this, and notice that the lead is Bella Ramsey, the 10 year old from Game of Thrones that gave a heart felt speech and allegiance to the Starks.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished EP3 and I thought it was well done. I read the comments here and after seeing it the gay thing is being blown way out of proportion. It's a love story and a well written, acted and executed one that dovetails perfectly into the main story line.

I'm more upset about Bill's "tactics" and writers' "logic" (let's bury a gun because .223/5.56 ammo is "scarce"). Writers are dipshits. They write a compelling love story but puts a hardcore survivalist in the middle of a brightly lit street with a bolt action rifle to defend his property. 10/10 guys with 1/2 as much experience as Bill would know to stay in the house where there's plenty of surveillance, weapons, ammo and cover.

As for the point of spending an episode on their story I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a great insight on how the sheep get sent away for slaughter and how a lone wolf was ready for the impossible. Moreover, I would be in disbelief if they skipped the whole backstory and showed Joel showing up to Bill and Frank's town just to build a battery and drive off in their truck. As someone who never played the game I wouldn't understand how Joel knew to go there and why a deserted town would be so well maintained.

3 episodes in and both my GF and I give it high marks.

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
I read the comments here and after seeing it the gay thing is being blown way out of proportion.
That depends upon your perspective, doesn't it? Looking at what shows up in film and on TV these days, one might be lead to believe that about 50% of the population is homosexual.

I think a pushback against this propaganda is entirely appropriate. People have had enough of this nonsense. I don't care who a person wants to screw. That's their business, but I don't want to see two men kissing each other and I am very far from alone. I would tell the producers of this show to take their gay love scene and shove it up their ass, but they would probably take that as me making a pass at them.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree wholeheartedly about homosexuality/LGBQTABCXZY being forced in modern TV/movies however I don't believe that is the case here. If Bill and Frank were friends in the source material and the writers decided to make them gay to push their agenda I would take serious issue with that. After reading some of the comments I was expecting something a lot more graphic (which I have no desire to see) and as others have noted, it's rated G/PG kissing and hand holding. In today's media it could have been more graphic and I actually say kudos for them showing great restraint and not going deeper (no pun intended) while using the source material as a shield/justification.

FWIW a certain set of scenes in Pulp Fiction/Game of Thrones was 100x more homophobic/graphic yet I don't see people shutting it off in disgust and announcing their boycott of it. It's part of a story plain and simple just like this was.

It is a great series so far and I hope what I and others here have said to clarify the "homosexuality" of EP3 will impress upon members who are either on the fence or won't watch it because some comments here were simply BS. Two shirtless guys were kissing (not making out) in bed while having a dialogue in a scene that was a couple minutes long. No pants removal, no thrusting. One guy got on top of the other at the very end and it cut to the next scene within a few seconds. Please tell me how that is the same as "poundtown" as one of the comments declared in pg 2-3 of this thread.

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Game of Thrones? Couldn't tell you, never watched it except for a glimpse at the first episode or two.

Pulp Fiction? The story required a plot device which causes Marcellus Wallace (Ving Rhames) who is chasing Butch Coolidge (Bruce Willis), to break off his vendetta of Coolidge because Coolidge saves Wallace's life, but is so humiliating to Wallace that even though he spares Coolidge's life, Coolidge has to leave town for good.

This was accomplished by the "Hillbilly Rape" scene, and I challenge anyone to come up with a more effective device to accomplish this (in 1994, anyway) than homosexual rape.

Today, however, in film and television, they stick this shit in our face so often- and with no apparent reason- it looks like we're being challenged to speak up against it.

Challenge accepted. I will speak out against this propaganda until the day I die.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Nick Offerman is a favorite of mine. If you've read any of his books, he's a man's man. It made me uncomfortable watching that gay stuff, love story or not. But money talks I suppose.

And although I'm enjoying the series, and realize it's far out fiction, there are a lot of things that just don't wash. This supposedly 10 year old girl is in the middle of a gun fight where they're killing off multiple infected attackers, barely escaping death and then 15 minutes after it's over she's joking, laughing and playing kid games. Then when they leave the survivalist's compound with a huge gun room with 25+ long guns on the wall and many more hand guns and many buckets fully of loaded ammo, what does he select to take to continue his 2000 mile journey? Not an AR, not a high cap hand gun, but a scoped bolt action rifle.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but did you see the last episode? He got 35 rounds out of that bolt action rifle not bad.

Posts: 163 | Location: Murrells inlet SC | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a bolt action rifle jam, let alone 2.