SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    2024 INDY Car season is underway
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2024 INDY Car season is underway Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I guess it's because Will's car could have accessed PTP whether he used it or not. Out of spec.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8397 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Doing some extra digging, Ron Ruzewski is in charge of the IndyCar Program at Team Penske and Robby Atkinson is one of the senior IndyCar engineers for all of Team Penske.

Also, Practice 1 is over. Highlights are here:

Race is Tomorrow on NBC at 3:00 PM Eastern.

Second practice and quali are both Peacock only and on later today.

Posts: 4319 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Why are these announcers trying to turn Indy Car into NASCAR?

"We need more banging out there"

"There we go, more rubbing is what we need"

"That is the mixing it up we need out there"

That is not Indy Car... I don't want to see them bashing each other all over the track.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38046 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Depends on the bashing. As long as they're not wrecking each other and just hip checking, I'm fine with it. Besides, Newgarden has a history of doing the hip check and he got quite a bit of payback today.

Besides, Alex Zanardi used Bryan Herta as a cushion quite a bit and Michael Andretti ran into two other cars to win in Toronto in 2001.

Posts: 4319 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Why are these announcers trying to turn Indy Car into NASCAR?

"We need more banging out there"

"There we go, more rubbing is what we need"

"That is the mixing it up we need out there"

That is not Indy Car... I don't want to see them bashing each other all over the track.

Ever notice how that dip s$&t Townsend Bell jacks his jaws making stuff up or supposing stuff up? He is useless and a waste of an announcer spot. Stuff dribbles from his mouth just to talk stuff out of it and he is usually wrong in what he is "guessing at" I hate him with a passion and wife hates me yelling at the TV when he dribbles.
Please send an email to INDY car asking them to get rid of him. End of my rant.......

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1397 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Like I mentioned in the Highlight Video comments on YouTube, we've been spoiled. Everything awful that's been mentioned about the announcers on Nothing But Commercials is far better than than Allen Bestwick, Scott Goodyear, and IRL 500 Champion Eddie Cheever on Always Bad Coverage.

I could do without Townsend Bell, but I've experienced far worse.

Back to the race, I think we saw the effects of the Team Penske suspensions. Newgarden was nowhere while Will Power could have jumped everyone on the first pitstop if he stayed out another lap or two. I do have to say Colton Herta probably had the drive of his life after his team didn't give him enough fuel to qualify and his teammate Marcus Ericsson did far more than hip-check him into the gravel. He was pretty much last and drove himself back to 7th. That was impressive.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Colton Herta probably had the drive of his life

He sure did and the coverage mostly managed to miss and not mention any of that until the recap at the end. No one else seemed to make much progress but he did somehow.

I've become spoiled by the F1 coverage options. Both Sky and F1TV are far better, both in the race and the technical shows. Even the grid walks are far more interesting.

Were the Penskes under-performing because of the loss of personnel, or the loss of PTP advantage?
The Power pit-stop timing did look like a poor choice and they admitted that later.

Pato qualified decent and then went nowhere in the race, even without any collisions or screw ups. Not sure what's up with that team.

Posts: 9632 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Were the Penskes under-performing because of the loss of personnel, or the loss of PTP advantage?
The Power pit-stop timing did look like a poor choice and they admitted that later.

The only Penske that did terrible was Newgarden. He did get bumped around more than normal, but had backmarker speed. I think it was mentioned he had over 100 seconds of P2P left and since he was on the lead lap he could use how much he wanted. Power had a coin-toss pit decision that might have cost him the win, but he still almost got past Palou on the last restart (which the hybrid should fix as they'll be able to restart the cars). Scotty Mac had a quiet day but still went from 13th to 6th.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

The only Penske that did terrible was Newgarden. He did get bumped around more than normal, but had backmarker speed. I think it was mentioned he had over 100 seconds of P2P left and since he was on the lead lap he could use how much he wanted. Power had a coin-toss pit decision that might have cost him the win, but he still almost got past Palou on the last restart (which the hybrid should fix as they'll be able to restart the cars). Scotty Mac had a quiet day but still went from 13th to 6th.

McLaughlin was the other guy that got almost no coverage but made a good recovery.
Not one of NBC's finer days.

Posts: 9632 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Things are getting a little exciting today during practice:

It's also looking like NBC is going to get the nod over Fox for the next TV contract and after watching several NASCAR races, I think it's for the best as IndyCar would be relegated to FS1 the majority of the time, Fox loads up NASCAR with far more commercial breaks than we see NBC do, and to make matters worse, there's no "side-by-side" so you can still watch the race while the commercials are on.

posted Hide Post
And so it continues on Fast Friday:

-MG

Posts: 2061 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Siegal is going to have a tough time the next two days as that was the only time to practice with the extra boost.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
One of the favorite for pole qualifying wiped out already.

posted Hide Post
Coming out of turn 3. Never would've expected that to happen there.

-MG

Posts: 2061 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
We’re set for The Greatest Spectacle in Motorsports:

We’ve also got a pole record with Scotty Mac at 234.220 MPH. Not the fastest 4 laps around Indy, but the fastest that won pole. I also wonder what kind of lap times they could pull if they went to full road course boost instead of short oval. Nolan Siegel also went out on his shield trying to get in the show.

Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
IIRC Sato was doing Ovals only for Ganassi but heard yesterday he is now with RLL racing. Wonder if the tension between Sato and Franchitti was too much Roll Eyes

My bet is Sato will take someone out before the half way mark..IMHO

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1397 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
That was a one year deal. Marcus Armstrong got promoted to a full season ride bumping Sato. Sato is now Indy 500 only and running with Rahal this year. Who knows where he’ll be next year.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
That was a one year deal. Marcus Armstrong got promoted to a full season ride bumping Sato. Sato is now Indy 500 only and running with Rahal this year. Who knows where he’ll be next year.

Somewhere with a Honda pushing him around, no doubt.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
In other news, Simon Pagenaud is going to be back in an IndyCar this weekend for the first time since his accident at Mid-Ohio. He won't be racing, but he will be driving the newly restored Team Penske GForce-Toyota that Gil de Ferran's 2003 Indy 500 winning car. And Racer has a video on it:

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It looks like teams are also getting their first shipments of the "ultracapacitor" from IndyCar this week and will be used at Mid Ohio (odd place but whatever).

https://racer.com/2024/05/24/i...ers-ers-units-early/

quote:
IndyCar delivers ERS units early
Marshall Pruett May 24, 2024 1:03 PM ET

The NTT IndyCar Series has begun to distribute its new energy recovery systems to the 10 full-time teams and 27 season-long entries that will use them in testing at the Milwaukee Mile on June 11 and go hybrid racing on July 5-7 at Mid-Ohio.

Built by Chevrolet and Honda, the custom IndyCar ERS package, which makes use of a motor generator unit — the Empel 180 — overseen by Team Chevy and an energy storage system — comprised of 21 supercapacitors supplied by Skeleton — made by Honda Racing Corporation US, is received by Team Chevy IndyCar engine builder and partner Ilmor Engineering.

Under direction from IndyCar, Ilmor assembles the bellhousings that carry the ERS units as a spec component, places them in portable crates, and has delivered the first batch of 27 to a garage in Gasoline Alley at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for teams to come and retrieve.

Once teams are done with the Indy 500 and start preparing for next weekend’s Detroit Grand Prix, they will have ample time — thanks to all of the partners involved getting the completed bellhousings ready one week earlier than expected — to plan their work ahead of the Milwaukee test.

There also seems to be some significant discussions starting on either doing another upgrade to the DW12 to attract a 3rd manufacturer or having Dallara build a whole new chassis. The article on Racer is short with nothing nailed down, but the jist seems to be keeping the 2.2L TT V6 the same and working on bringing more electrical power to the game. It's nice that these discussions are starting to happen, but we're also hitting another snag in the automotive industry where pure electric isn't viable and synthetic fuels are getting closer to reality. I will note that IndyCar went to Shell renewable fuel before F1 did.